“Prepaid room reservations Not Honored” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Staybridge Suites New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Staybridge Suites New Orleans to your Saves list
Staybridge Suites New Orleans
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Tchoupitoulas St., at Poydras, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #55 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Genesee, WI
“Prepaid room reservations Not Honored”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We prepaid for our two King Suite rooms for three days each over 8 months and 2 weeks ahead of time to guarantee our post cruise stay. Well $800 for 8 months and there were no rooms on arrival and no apologies from Bridget the desk clerk at Staybridge. Overbooked and computer error were two different excuses. Should it not have been determined by prepayment and time of booking? Yes these were confirmed rooms! They claimed to have called us. I was on the cruise that day, the 28th of Feb. 2013. Our booking was for March 3-6, 2013. My phone had no messages on the return to dock. Huh, a three day notice. Where is the interest on my payment? They did refund the rooms. First only 1 and then I sent my husband back for the second receipt of credit. They told us to Comfort Suites 40 miles away and there would be a room for us. They would pay the first night. I asked what type of accommodations this would be and she had no idea and couldn't say. Then I asked what the price was of the remaining days and she could not tell me. Being furious I tried to remain somewhat civil and asked for directions. She said "Don't you have GPS?" WHAT!!! I hadn't even been given the address yet. I spoke with Priceline using the customer service number on the confirmation and after a short wait I spoke with Beth who turned me over to her supervisor under the circumstances. Yvette the Rep. could not believe they did this and there were no notices to Priceline under this hotel. She spoke with Bridget after being hung up on several times and got no farther than what I told her about. She tried to find me closer rooms but could not unless it was one with bad ratings. I found Priceline friendly and helpful and easy to reach. Once we finally got to the Comfort Suites in Slidell I went to check in and there was no room under our name and they were full. Expletives here. The girl at the desk was apologetic but 17 other rooms were held for Staybridge guests that also had canceled reservations. I called up Bridget at Staybridge and reported that they did not have the rooms she sent us to. She said "Yes they do! I'll call them." and hung up on me. A few minutes later she spoke with the girl at Comfort Suites and told her to do an exchange for a man's name under 2 double bed reservations and give us that and she would take his. I am assuming he was probably part of the conference in New Orleans and he got preference. Or was it the discounted rate I paid for under the prepayment that was dropped for a better rate payer? How can I ever be sure of a prepaid room again? I know hotels hold rooms for conferences, but over 8 months in advance aren't there still a great number of rooms under normal reservations or are all tourists subjected to these unreliable terms? I planned this way in advance with all the details to spend time in New Orleans where I have never been. We traveled 40 miles each way to get back there. I was not enthused about any of it. People were not very friendly in the restaurants either. Slidell was much friendlier and Comfort Inn and Suites were very helpful. I would stay there again. Maybe in the long run Slidell was the better place to stay although it was 50 miles to the airport at 3:30 am which was not planned. I have vacationed for years all over the US, Mexico and the Caribbean many times and have never been treated as poorly as I had been at Staybridge New Orleans. My Husband had spoken with the girls Manager and he just said it was a computer error and that all he could do. They will not ever be a choice of accommodations for us anywhere again. Prepaid rooms evidently have no guarantee of being there when you arrive so what is the purpose? Sign me STEAMED! Deanna K.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave M, General Manager at Staybridge Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Deanna K,

I thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We fell short of our standards for service and providing excellent accommodations during the first week of March by being overbooked. I apologize to you and your family personally for this happening to you after your cruise. In reading your comments I am alerted to the way some things were presented and verbiage used during this difficult time. I review ALL comments with my leadership team and will be addressing these items personally.

My wish is that if you travel back to the New Orleans area that you give us another chance to show you the true spirit of our commitment to service we work hard to provide our guests each day. I would also like to assure you that the issues that caused us to be overbooked have been addressed along with a change of processes that will help us avoid a repeat of falling short of any of our guest's expectations.

True and Sincere Apologies to you and your family.

378 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Staying in close proximity to the French Quarter, I knew the room rates would be exorbitant, but I had prepared myself for the pricetag. Staybridge seemed to be the best option considering location and price. I saw several reviews online stating that once guests arrived, Staybridge had no room for them but I decided to take my chances
Wrong move.

When I arrived at the hotel (late, it would have been past 11pm), the man at the desk seemed brisk and annoyed with me. He then informed me that there were no smoking rooms available. When I showed him that I had booked a smoking room, complete with confirmation numbers and confirmation emails, he gave me the completely uninterested response "well, I don't know why that is". He offered no solution, no sympathy, no apology. Simply stared at me and waited for me to accept his offer of a non-smoking room.

After checking in, I asked the gentleman where I should park my car -- only then was I informed that it would be 30$ a night, on top of the close to 200$/night I was already spending on the room. I initialed a form saying I would pay it just as another man came behind the desk and informed me that there were no more parking spots available.

We went out for a bit and then returned to the hotel, thankful that a spot had opened up in the garage. But then we got lost and ended up in an adjacent apartment complex rather than the hotel! When we finally made it to our room, it was sweltering hot even though the thermostat was set to 68 degrees. We toyed around with the a/c throughout the night, but the room never cooled off.

The only reason I would recommend this hotel is it's location. But let's be honest, there are plenty of other hotels in the same area, so it's not as if we are forced to go with Staybridge or go without.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dave M, General Manager at Staybridge Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Racheldeben,

Thank you for your response and taking the time to share your experience. I apologize for the Front Desk not having a smoking room upon your arrival followed by a response that is not up to our standards of service. I believe I was able to identify your reservation by your comments and see that the dates of your stay were 3/11-13. I did not see a record of a service call so I took the opportunity to go to that room this afternoon before replying to check the operation of the Air Conditioning unit and it is working properly.

I would like to invite you back to give us another try and I assure you that you will have a totally different experience. Please contact me directly via email at: Dmock@staybridgeneworleans.com so that I may help make your arrangements.

With My Sincerest Apology,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed three nights to attend a conference taking place in another hotel nearby. The Staybridge was almost 100$ less than the conference hotel. The Styabridge also had excellent services. The room was large and comfortable. Free wifi, free breakfast, free drinks the night I arrived (Thursday). The hotel was fairly quiet... as quiet, I suppose, as can be in downtown NO. I was alone, but the room would have been great for a family of four; it had a small and practical kitchenette. The hotel is well located near the French Quarter, waterfront and most of the city's attractions. The staff at the frontdesk was helpful. Frankly, I cannot think of a bad thing to say. Overall, very good value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear IanRoberge,

Thank you for your comments and sharing your experience with TripAdvisor. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with our staff and hope that the next time you have an opportunity to come to New Orleans that you return to the Staybridge New Orleans. We have recently completed a lobby renovation along with most of our rooms with plans to complete our rooms this summer. We also have plans to fine tune some of the things we do well to make the value you already recognize even better.

Sincerely Thankful For Your Business,
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great front desk. They were so helpful with in house maps, suggesting restaurants sites and directions. Nice clean roomy suite. Decent breakfast. We didn't rent a car and managed nicely from the location of our hotel. We would definitely stay there on our next visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear cebel001,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Staybridge New Orleans. We have completed several enhancements to add to the awesome location you describe. Our Lobby has been refreshed along with most of our rooms. On your next visit to New Orleans I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back so you can experience a refreshed product as well as the best location for you to take advantage of all the wonderful things to do in New Orleans.

Patiently Waiting For Your Return,
Baton Rouge, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed during the weekend just prior to Fat Tuesday. It is a great location for the weekend parades, especially Bacchus. The parade comes right at the steps of the front door. Mother's is right across the street, which is a great place to grub. The hotel is a little outdated, but it was clean and the staff was helpful, there was just not enough of them. A little hint from a local--park across the street and safe a few bucks.

Room Tip: Get the suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dave M, General Manager at Staybridge Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
BRTiger1212,

Great Tips!!! I am glad you took the time to share your experience over Mardi Gras. This was my first year at this particular property for Mardi Gras and as your review identifies - our location for parades is AWESOME!!! I also appreciate you staffing comment and wanted to make a quick comment. We were all here but I did see opportunity to have 1 or 2 more at night.

We had most of our hotel suites refreshed this past Winter and will complete all suites before the end of the year. Our lobby and reception area have been infused with necesary updates along with a different energy that in the coming months will address most of your senses that you will notice upon arrival. Please visit often and see the changes we have in store for you.

Sincere Appreciation!!
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

All my previous posts have been nothing but positve - but not this one!!! I booked a room (and prepaid!) in June 2012 for 4 nights, Mar. 3-7 of this year. We stayed here precruise (Feb. 23-24). Prior to leaving on the 24th we asked if we could have this room when we returned. He smiled and said "sure". Upon arrival at the hotel on Mar. 3 we were told there was a computer glitch and we no longer had a room. They would put us up in a Super 8 over 30 miles away. I asked him several times how much they would charge us for these rooms and he would not answer. This is totally unacceptable. We simply could not afford the cab fare it would cost to get back and forth to the city (which is why we booked this hotel to avoid that). We noticed there was a HIMSS conference sign in the lobby. I asked the manager to show me that everyone staying there booked prior to me, that I would accept. Said he couldn't do that. We proceeded to ask some of the people checking in when their reservations were made and we told about 4-8 weeks ago. This was happening to several people getting off the boat from their cruise. Clearly, we were booted to "better paying customers". I contacted ICH group (the parent company) and got a simple sorry and gave us 30,000 points which is a drop in the bucket, Lucky if it will pay for one night. I asked to talk to someone higher up and they said the motel is independetly owned and we would have to deal with them.
Also, upon checking my credit card I found the hotel request to refund my money was put in Feb. 25 less than 24 hours after we left. They called everyone, but we were on a cruise and could not be contacted.
ICH guest service people were kind, but they offer nothing and just told me this will go on the motels records.
Just be aware - this could happen to you - and you will have no recourse.
Customer service is becoming a dinosauer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
JMC,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our hotel. Once again , I offer my apologies for the overbooking situation at the beginning of March 2013. The situation was a large error on our part that has been corrected by changed procedures, additional training and a commitment to our loyal guest that the same error will not happen again to cause us to be overbooked by so many rooms.

When faced with the situation of being overbooked was discovered in advance I assure oyu that we tried to contact as many guest in advance to make them aware of the situation before their arrival to the hotel. In my experience, if you have the opportunity to communicate to the guest in advance both parties are put in a positon to make the best choices. We failed in this by not telling you before your cruise that we were oversold on your return from the cruise. This review will be used in our next Front Desk Meeting as an example of how to anticipate our guest needs and how better communication would have been a better course of action.

The situation is my responsibility and I personally apologize to you and your family,

Dave M
Los Alamos, New Mexico, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I will preface this by saying we were supposed to stay at a different hotel, but they lost their corporate flag, so Holiday Inn Guest Services helped us find a room at this hotel. We were promised one rate on the phone and got charged $100 more a night at the hotel and were totally blown away by the staff's indifference and arrogant attitude. For $350 per night I would have expected a much nicer room, daily room service, and maybe a smile or two. The food a breakfast was bad. The manager refused to let us use our points. So be aware that the first answer you are going to get at this hotel is No.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cindy H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel. I apologize for the delay in my response to this posting but I wanted to get a good handle on what happened during your stay. I assure you that I am as disappointed as you are that anyone on my team said "No" without offering an alternative and that you experienced a team that seemed unable to smile while greeting our guests. I have shared your review the leaders in the hotel and reaffirmed my expectations to each of them that this lack of service and friendliness is unacceptable and not representative of the hard work we have put in place over the past months.

I would like to invite you back to our hotel for a much different experience or if you prefer to discuss you last stay with me in more detail first please contact me via email at: Dmock@StaybridgeNewOrleans.com

With Sincere Apologies!

Been to Staybridge Suites New Orleans? Share your experiences!