“Great value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Staybridge Suites New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Staybridge Suites New Orleans to your Saves list
Staybridge Suites New Orleans
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Tchoupitoulas St., at Poydras, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #52 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
Baton Rouge, LA
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed during the weekend just prior to Fat Tuesday. It is a great location for the weekend parades, especially Bacchus. The parade comes right at the steps of the front door. Mother's is right across the street, which is a great place to grub. The hotel is a little outdated, but it was clean and the staff was helpful, there was just not enough of them. A little hint from a local--park across the street and safe a few bucks.

Room Tip: Get the suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dave M, General Manager at Staybridge Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
BRTiger1212,

Great Tips!!! I am glad you took the time to share your experience over Mardi Gras. This was my first year at this particular property for Mardi Gras and as your review identifies - our location for parades is AWESOME!!! I also appreciate you staffing comment and wanted to make a quick comment. We were all here but I did see opportunity to have 1 or 2 more at night.

We had most of our hotel suites refreshed this past Winter and will complete all suites before the end of the year. Our lobby and reception area have been infused with necesary updates along with a different energy that in the coming months will address most of your senses that you will notice upon arrival. Please visit often and see the changes we have in store for you.

Sincere Appreciation!!

353 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

All my previous posts have been nothing but positve - but not this one!!! I booked a room (and prepaid!) in June 2012 for 4 nights, Mar. 3-7 of this year. We stayed here precruise (Feb. 23-24). Prior to leaving on the 24th we asked if we could have this room when we returned. He smiled and said "sure". Upon arrival at the hotel on Mar. 3 we were told there was a computer glitch and we no longer had a room. They would put us up in a Super 8 over 30 miles away. I asked him several times how much they would charge us for these rooms and he would not answer. This is totally unacceptable. We simply could not afford the cab fare it would cost to get back and forth to the city (which is why we booked this hotel to avoid that). We noticed there was a HIMSS conference sign in the lobby. I asked the manager to show me that everyone staying there booked prior to me, that I would accept. Said he couldn't do that. We proceeded to ask some of the people checking in when their reservations were made and we told about 4-8 weeks ago. This was happening to several people getting off the boat from their cruise. Clearly, we were booted to "better paying customers". I contacted ICH group (the parent company) and got a simple sorry and gave us 30,000 points which is a drop in the bucket, Lucky if it will pay for one night. I asked to talk to someone higher up and they said the motel is independetly owned and we would have to deal with them.
Also, upon checking my credit card I found the hotel request to refund my money was put in Feb. 25 less than 24 hours after we left. They called everyone, but we were on a cruise and could not be contacted.
ICH guest service people were kind, but they offer nothing and just told me this will go on the motels records.
Just be aware - this could happen to you - and you will have no recourse.
Customer service is becoming a dinosauer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
JMC,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our hotel. Once again , I offer my apologies for the overbooking situation at the beginning of March 2013. The situation was a large error on our part that has been corrected by changed procedures, additional training and a commitment to our loyal guest that the same error will not happen again to cause us to be overbooked by so many rooms.

When faced with the situation of being overbooked was discovered in advance I assure oyu that we tried to contact as many guest in advance to make them aware of the situation before their arrival to the hotel. In my experience, if you have the opportunity to communicate to the guest in advance both parties are put in a positon to make the best choices. We failed in this by not telling you before your cruise that we were oversold on your return from the cruise. This review will be used in our next Front Desk Meeting as an example of how to anticipate our guest needs and how better communication would have been a better course of action.

The situation is my responsibility and I personally apologize to you and your family,

Dave M
Los Alamos, New Mexico, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I will preface this by saying we were supposed to stay at a different hotel, but they lost their corporate flag, so Holiday Inn Guest Services helped us find a room at this hotel. We were promised one rate on the phone and got charged $100 more a night at the hotel and were totally blown away by the staff's indifference and arrogant attitude. For $350 per night I would have expected a much nicer room, daily room service, and maybe a smile or two. The food a breakfast was bad. The manager refused to let us use our points. So be aware that the first answer you are going to get at this hotel is No.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cindy H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel. I apologize for the delay in my response to this posting but I wanted to get a good handle on what happened during your stay. I assure you that I am as disappointed as you are that anyone on my team said "No" without offering an alternative and that you experienced a team that seemed unable to smile while greeting our guests. I have shared your review the leaders in the hotel and reaffirmed my expectations to each of them that this lack of service and friendliness is unacceptable and not representative of the hard work we have put in place over the past months.

I would like to invite you back to our hotel for a much different experience or if you prefer to discuss you last stay with me in more detail first please contact me via email at: Dmock@StaybridgeNewOrleans.com

With Sincere Apologies!
Marin County
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I made my reservation 6 months ago for a busy convention week. Confirmed by them. Yesterday, 5 days before my stay, they called to say the room wasn't available, so they offered me another property 40 miles away. Turns out they oversold. First come first served? Nope. Preferential treatment for platinum priority club membership? Nope. This was despicable treatment of a longtime brand-loyal customer for ICH brand hotels. I'm going to burn up my points on a vacation and switch to Mariott or Hilton.

Man, how dumb was this?

Oh, and I called and asked for a call back from the GM. No call back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dave M, General Manager at Staybridge Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Mr Binkelot,

I thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. It is difficult for me to explain to you how much I sincerely regret having to relocate you this past week. I would like to offer my personal apologies for having to involve you in this kind of a situation. As the leader of my staff I take responsibility for the error that caused us to be overbooked. It was also my decision to call you in advance to make you aware of the challenge and of our best solution. It has been my experience that waiting until the day/night of arrival to thrust such information upon one of our loyal guests like yourself would not have been the professional or hospitable course of action.

I assure you that the staff is focused on providing our guest with the best possible experience when coming to New Orleans. I hope that you will provide me with the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel upon your next trip to New Orleans and I assure you that your experience will exceed your expectations. Please contact me via email: Dmock@staybridgeneworleans.com so that I may make your reservations.

Once again, I offer my most sincere apologies.
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

You just can't beat staying at an extended stay hotel with a full kitchen, full breakfast every morning, happy hour social with food and drinks during Mardi Gras for less than $129/nt. My only complaint, which couldn't be helped, was by the time we checked in at 4:30pm on Monday, the hotel parking was full. So we parked in the lot across the street for $50/nt, which was the "special rate". The next day, however, we got a parking space at the hotel, which was $30.

The hotel is located in a great walking distance to everything. Mother's Restaurant is right across the street.

The staff was great, even the ladies taking care of breakfast and social hour made sure the food was well stocked, considering how crowded the hotel was.

The bed was super comfortable. The mattress was made of memory foam, so when I moved around, my sleeping companion was not disturbed. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tawnyday,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share details of your stay with us. I share comments from Tripadvisor with our staff weekly and it truely excites them to hear that you enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed having you stay with us during Mardi Gras.

If you liked Mardi Gras you will LOVE French Quarter Fest and Jazz Fest - Hope to see you for one of these wonderful festivals.

Dave
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Loved this Place!! So close to everything - you can walk to everywhere you need to go , or ride streetcar. VERY clean! GREAT staff! Very safe area as well. The rooms are huge w/ great beds, super clean, nice kitchen area w/ everything you need. Breakfast was great, just get there early. But it sure saves you money and time. They let us ck- in early since our flight arrived at 9:30. It was so nice to be able to do that, and then go tour the city. They really go out of their way for you!! We will definitely stay there again, and book other Staybridge Suites when we travel other places. Highly recommend!!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Let me start off by saying this hotel has AMAZING staff next to its amazing location! This was my first trip to NOLA and I travelled with girlfriends for my bachelorette. We felt absolutely safe at this hotel!

Prior to our arrival I called to confirm our reservations for a double bed would be accommodated, requested if we could get a higher level floor and an early check in since our flight arrival was 10 am. Once we arrived at the hotel and as soon as I mentioned my name Andrea at the front desk said they were waiting for me and that we can check in! With it being Mardi Gras week I thought it would be a tough chance we’d get the early check in, but the icing on top was that not only had they given me everything I requested for they even gave me a section of the hotel where we’d be able to see the parade, right at Tchoupitoulas & Poydras. That made my day!

The hotel is VERY clean and staff is amazingly friendly. Beds are AMAZINGLY comfortable and the towels are not rough! The rooms are so spacious there’s really nothing I can say wrong about our stay from Feb. 6-10. The kitchenette has plates and cups and it worked well for the nights we just decided to order in and take our left overs back to the hotel.

Hot breakfast does run out, but that’s expected at such a busy time but it was replenished timely. In comparison of what the other big chain hotels around the area offer (which is none) the hot breakfast was amazing! We loved the self-serve made to order waffle maker. Coffee was amazing and so was a variety of beverages. Lack of seating at the breakfast peak was a downside, but we just took our meals back to our room. We often had Bridgette in the dining area helping us and she is a gem! Always greeting us!

Social hour is another bonus at this hotel from Monday – Thursday. We hadn’t realized that they served actual meals as well along with the beverages so we missed the turkey dinner the Thursday night, but we made it for the burger and hot dog meals on Wednesday. Again, that being complimentary is enough! Along with wine, beer & zinfandel it was our pre-party before heading out to Bourbon Street. It’s not gourmet burgers or hot dogs, but it was a meal that prevented us from spending more money outside.

This hotel is literally a 2 minute walk from the Harrah’s casino, 5 minute walk from the Riverwalk Mall and about a 15 minute walk from the central tourist spot of Canal / French Quarters / Bourbon Street.

Take note that a taxi to/from the MSY airport is $36 for 2 people and for 4 or more it’s $14 ea. Taxi is quite expensive in NOLA. To take the bus or the streetcar it’s $1.25 for a single ride or $3 for an all-day pass which you can purchase right on the bus or streetcar and it works for both. But you might as well walk since for safety reasons you’ll just want to stay in the tourist spots.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Staybridge Suites New Orleans? Share your experiences!