“First stay at Staybridge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Staybridge Suites New Orleans

You added Staybridge Suites New Orleans to your Saves list
Staybridge Suites New Orleans
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Tchoupitoulas St., at Poydras, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Special Weekend Rate!
Ranked #72 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Atlanta, Georgia
“First stay at Staybridge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel had plenty of perks and I had a very good discount through the film festival which block-booked the rooms. We got there early and they were happy to hold our bags for us until check-in and offered to call us when our room was ready. Monique, the woman on duty, was very friendly and gave me a string of Mardi-Gras beads to welcome us.

When we finally got up to our room we were pleasantly surprised by how big it was. It had a nice kitchenette with free microwave popcorn, coffee. Internet connection was good. The only drawback for the room was that the thermostat was impossible to adjust, even by my technogeek husband, so it stayed at 63 degrees, but we both agreed that too cold was better than too hot. And the lock on the door was problematic..hard to lock and unlock. We told them at the desk at checkout and they said they would see about fixing it and allowed that the thermostat was tricky.

The curtain had a cigarette burn through it; made me wonder if some people smoke in non-smoking rooms. Didn't notice any smoky smell, though.

We had the free breakfast the next morning. There weren't many places to sit as the hotel was packed but the breakfast was sufficiently good. But since you're in N.O., unless you're on a budget you might want to skip the hotel meal and have something yummy, maybe at Mother's across the street, which seemed to be drawing a crowd.

The pool was small, but fine if you just want to have a soak to relax.

Parking is expensive, @ $30 at the hotel and the lot across the street. But it's cheaper here than in the French Quarter and you can come and go knowing that there's no guarantee there will be a space when you return. (We never had a problem, tho.) Metered parking on the street is the cheapest, but there's a 2 hour limit. Just decide you're going to have to pay and go and have fun!

I would definitely stay here again if I had the same discount!

Room Tip: Higher rooms on the east side have a nice view of the city.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

It is a peak time (35000 people came to NO for professional meeting and most hotels around convention center were sold). I was really surprised how good quality this hotel is. Rate was $254 per night plus tax for huge 2 bedroom 2 bath suite with nice living room, working area and small kitchen. Hot breakfast is good and comparable to Embassy suites. Free and really fast WiFi internet, very good room service. Nice manager reception (free wine and appetizers) during working day. Quality of bed is really good and comparable to Hilton on River walk.
Very recommend if you want to have nice quite stay in the center of New Orleans and close to everything.

Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I wonder if I stayed at the same hotel as the one star reviewer? TThis hotel was one of the conference hotels, and I chose it because it was one of the most reasonably priced and only 0.5 mi from the Convention Center. The rooms are spacious because they are suites. I had a full kitchen, office area, living room area and bed area. My plane was late, late, late, but the gals checked me in with a smile. I asked for an upper level room to be away from the street noise, but no go. On the second floor actually facing the street. But, it was because the hotel was booked up for the conference. The street noise is loud but luckily I travel with ear plugs. The room price includes a hot breakfast. And Tu-Th they have a very nice happy hour. Unlimited glasses of wine or beer, with snacks and light supper type food. They actually grilled the burgers on a Weber grill the night I was there. So you only have to pay for your low country/cajun lunch. I found the entire staff friendly always with a smile and pleasant conversation. Another guest commented about the "nasty pool". While I was there, it was clean and I swam laps in my "personal pool" each of three days. Yeah, it is small, so I had to swim 50 lengths to get a good workout, but since I was the only one there, who cares. The only downside was that most of the surfaces in the kitchen felt a little sticky to the touch. I wonder if it is the effect of the humidity on the budget cabinet finish. If you are on the lower floors you cannot use the stairs, because you get locked in. Overall, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors and facing the court yard/pool. They are quieter.
Woodstock, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

During our recent trip to New Orleans, we had the pleasure of staying at the Staybridge Suites, 501 Tchoupitoulas St. New Orleans, LA. We were there from Thursday-Monday, 9/20-24/2011. Even though this is an extended stay location, I can see why someone would want to make this place a home. It is such a warm and welcoming environment.

The complimentary Hot Breakfast Buffet is one to be appreciated. It’s offered Monday-Friday (6:30a-9:30a); Saturday and Sunday (7:30a-10:30a) - with plenty of food to choose from to start your day off.

There is a Social Evening Reception (complimentary and hosted by the Staybridge Suites’ team, Tuesday-Thursday 5:30p-7:30p). While there we did have to utilize their business center as well (this too was include in our stay). The business center is a 24/7 operation. Also, this location has on site: A Laundry Room, Den, and A Pantry Convenience Store.

Housekeeping Services: By this being an extended stay location, we knew to request the use of these services. So we managed to get “full service” in the area of housekeeping needs during our entire stay. Otherwise the way it works is: “Light Touch” Service is provided daily, Monday-Friday; “Full Service” is provided weekly; and Weekend housekeeping services is provided on a requested basis only.

The location of the “suites” is directly across the streets from “Mother’s Restaurant; a block down from the Casino; and a block or two from where we’d pick up the trolley. Using the trolley, we’d get an all day ride ticket at a cost of $3.00. But now, if you’ve 65 and older it would only cost $0.40 a ride. I might add, the location of the hotel is in walking distance of the Ernest Moral Convention Center as well. So we were able to get our exercise in while we walked; although, there is also a fitness room on site at the suites. Their other recreational features included: Sport Court, Swimming Pool and BBQ Pavilion (opened daily 8am-10pm).

I’d like to send out a special “Thank You” to the staff who made our stay more pleasant than imagined: Again , thanks: Mark , Ronnell and Crystal. What a great team of people working at this location. Oh yea, I don’t want to forget to say thanks to: “Sabrina” from housekeeping, I remember leaving behind something very personal to me. Once I called back to the hotel (even though the one who cleaned the room was off) it was Sabrina who back tracked to locate my item. Thanks again each and every one of you for making our stay here most pleasant. I loved it so much I requested to receive one of those “hotel reward cards.” You know the one where you earn points for staying at their location. This was our first time staying there but it will not be our last. The next time we travel, I'm definitely going to look for a Staybridge Suites location.

The four of us was in New Orleans to attend the AARP convention - that too was off the chain. And next year the convention will be in Atlanta - I certainly not going to miss that either.

Room Tip: The tip I can give for choosing "a good room" is: Don't stay anywhere but at the Stay...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Destin, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

A two night experience that convinced us that New Orleans is not worth our spending another dime there---EVER! Although the reservations were paid for in advance, they still insisted on scanning our card for "incidentals" and charged us after we left for two nights at full price. That would help to explain why they refused to give us a bill upon check-out after charging our card over $500 more. For the entire stay, we NEVER had a key to our room and was inconvenienced to have to wait for someone to let us in every time we left the room. Not ONCE was there enough food for any breakfast to be had. And the nasty swimming pool (the size of a small private pool) as they call it was off limits because we didn't have a key. The building itself is nice because it's only 7 years old, but no security in the $26 per day parking lot across the street allows the drunks and homeless to wonder about freely without any resistance. The location is good for the money, but a one night stay beforehand at Holiday Inn Express was more convenient and has more amenities. When asking about a key for the room, we were mislead and lied to repeatedly. Something they fail to tell you until they have scanned your card is check-out is 11AM, but check-in isn't until 4PM---if you're lucky.

Room Tip: Room 900 was nice---if you can get a key for the lock.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Jennie M,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay with. I am deeply sorry you received service that was less than satisfactory. We are hospitality professionals and pride ourselves on delivering world class service. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This hotel is in a great location for the casino, aquarium, IMAX, or insectarium. It is in the warehouse district and an EASY walk to all of the aforementioned places.

The hot breakfast was really pretty good both days we stayed there. The room was pretty clean and was a good size. My only complaint in that department is that unlike at the Embassy Suites, the bathroom is inside the room with the master. We wanted a suite because we were travelling with our daughter. So, it would have been nice to have the restroom outside the master for her to use whenever she got up in the middle of the night.

If I were a business traveler, the lack of speedy and dependable wireless would be a deal breaker. It was atrocious how slow and flakey it was.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Staybridge Suites has a very underrated location. You're just across the street from Piazza d'Italia and Mother's Restaurant, a block from the casino, and roughly three blocks from the French Quarter. Be sure to park in the PUBLIC lot next door--parking there is $29, while Staybridge charges you $30.

The good: The room was very spacious and I couldn't hear any neighbors. The location was far enough from the riff-raff that there were no issues related to that either. The staff is very friendly and accommodating, while the continental breakfast is delicious.

The bad: When I arrived we went through four room keys before they gave up and assigned me to a different room. The refrigerator made a loud churning noise until I gave it a firm slap on the side. I also couldn't find any vending machines in the hotel.

This was a very good stay for me. I was comfortable walking everywhere I needed to go, and the staff was very friendly. If I went back to New Orleans to visit the French Quarter, I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Staybridge Suites New Orleans? Share your experiences!