“Location, location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #121 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Location, location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Recently I traded my timeshare for a 2 bedroom suite at this hotel. Newstled between all the tall, extremly expensive hotels in the warehouse/arts district of New Orleans, you find this century old building that is the Hotel de L'Eau Vive. It is coviently located near Canal where if you are limited in how far you can walk, you can catch a tram up canal or along the river that will take you to most of the places you may want to go to in the French Quarter. While I agree that the hot tubs are not the most exciting things (they should glaze them instead of paint them), showering was quite spacious. The rooms were quite spacious and clean. My only complaint would be that they advertize a pool, but it is no bigger than a huge tub. Oh by the way the Hotel should upgrade its lobby, it gives a bad impression.

Room Tip: Living rooms have couches (sofas) with fold out beds. So a 2 bedroom sleeps six comfortably. There...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I traveled with my cousin and her husband. We had never been to New Orleans so we were hoping for the best with the hotel. We had a GREAT stay! I will say that "picky" people may not like this place but for me we were very comfortable. I can say that the rooms needed some updating but nothing bothered us. The staff was very accommodating and nice. We were within walking distance to the french quarters, bourbon st. and the art district. You are also right by Mother's which has amazing Ferdi sandwich you have to try! We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Destin, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I recently stayed at Hotel de L'Eau Vive with 3 of my favorite girls! When we first arrived we were a little unsure of the hotel. The lobby could use some attention, but we were greeted with smiles from the staff. When we got to our room we were pleasantly surprised. While the furnishings weren't the fanciest, we had everything that we needed. Four girls and one bathroom took some scheduling, but we managed and had a wonderful trip. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, especially a family or small group. The rooms are spacious and the staff is extremely accommodating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My mom was in town and stayed here, we're locals, she's not. First, we thought her room would be in the main hotel, which is a historic building. It wasn't. We were relegated to the 1960s awful building next door which is not in the historic building and there is a paid parking lot dividing the two buildings. Our room, was up a step that requires a ramp to lift your luggage through the door. My mom is in her 70s so that was the first hiccup. Our room was "behind the elevator". You go down a hallway, to the elevator, through the elevator, onto the back side. The room had no windows and a little courtyard surrounded by 8ft. cinderblock walls. It's not pretty and they're doing massive construction on the building next door. All we could hear was the construction sounds. The room was 1980s fabulous and had nothing historic or a New Orleans vibe about it. 3 dark rooms and the 3rd room, didn't even have access to the courtyard, though it overlooks it with 1980s steel glass windows. To use the pool, we had to go thru the elevator, back down the hallway, step down the ramp step, walk past the paid parking lot (not related to the hotel, as the hotel has no parking) and into the next building. The "pool" is tiny, no bigger than a large hotub, children's pool, that's super shallow. The rooftop was closed, for construction, so there was no access to that. You can't see anything from up there anyways, because it's surrounded by taller buildings, so there's no view. The staff was nonexistent other than housekeeping. The main lobby is rarely, if at all staffed. Housekeeping staff was great, but we barely needed them. If you're visiting New Orleans and don't plan to stay in your room, then this is the place for you. It's close to Harrah's and the river and French Quarter. If you plan on spending time in the room, this isn't the place at all. It's not a get away, unless you like 1980s furniture, cinderblock and no windows.,

Room Tip: Stay in the historic side or not at all.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Moved from first room that had ROACHES and BUGS. Dark, smelly, no air ventilation, cracked tile in shower that had a 3 ft. step over to get in. Asked to be moved to a different room. Not much better (see photos, should have taken photos of 1st room). Had to call the office several time after midnight for noise made from other guest several nights.
Was told owner would be sitting in lounge in a.m. to talk him. He was there each morning reading the paper, ignored us. Tried to make the best of our trip outside this HORROR HOUSE. People we book with would not accommodate us to a better location. Ran into a couple that saw their room and immediately checked out. Another couple that stayed brought Lysol to disinfect their room, that had stayed there before.

Room Tip: Good Luck, maybe you are friends with the owner and can get a better deal.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Fox Point, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We booked this place through Interval International as a timeshare trade. It is the second worst trade we've ever made (Poconos being the worst). We are not fussy travelers and realize that the point of traveling is to see the sights not to be in the room/condo but I was incredibly disappointed. Like everyone else mentioned, the bathtub shower is creepy and moldy. The place is super outdated with wood paneling, weird old ugly art and old carpet. Lots of broken and cracked flooring which grossed me out. On the positive, the kitchen was usable (we only used the microwave and glasses for drinks, never cooked there), the exposed brick was charming, high ceilings were nice, beds were comfortable. We faced the courtyard and had lots of light however, I never saw anyone use the courtyard or the pool and as others mentioned the rooftop was closed.
Like any 21st century family we brought electronics, laptops, kindles, Ipods etc. I hid all my electronics but my 13 year old son didn't and his I touch was stolen from our room. The staff is still looking into this but Interval will be made aware of this ASAP.
The owner, an older guy named Tom, would pull up in his FERRARI everyday and sit in the lobby. I have no idea why he sat there but really, a Ferrari? He won't update the hotel/condo, put newer pictures in the rooms, or paint over the marks on the walls or remodel the gross bathrooms but he pulls up in a Ferrari?
The staff was nice, concerned about the theft of the Itouch. We saw familiar faces working everyday and night and that was nice.
There is no parking however you can park for free in the Harrah's parking lot if you play with a Player's Club Card for 30 minutes every 24 hours. The casino is a block away. We aren't gamblers so we would put $5 in a penny slot and play for 30 minutes and leave. No big deal. The location can't be beat so we focused on that positive and had a great time in NOLA. Next time I'll be more selective about my accommodations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cantonment
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am normally not a complainer, but this experience warranted a complaint. I don't understand why some people don't tell the truth. Our experience was terrible .There is only one tv in main room. So called master bedroom has no ceiling fan, stuffy, cramped, no windows. Had to leave door open for some circulation. The building as well as hallways and rooms have a mildew musty smell. Had to ask for plug ins. There is a boxed ceiling fan in the closet...When turning down bed top blanket was soiled, and velvet blanket had numerous holes. No room service. When called downstairs was told to bring bedding down for exchange. If you are used to a 3 star or better, do not stay here. I expected charm not dinginess. I called Interval to complain and they passed the buck to Diamond International. I am abhorded that this would be part of their inventory. We tried moving to another location but was stuck because nothing else was availabe because of Essence Festival weekend. We had to either get back on road and drive for hours and lose timeshare points, or drive out of New Orleans area and search for hotel and pay for a week. Oh, I have to mention there is no parking. When asked about parking we were told we can park in Harrah's gararge which is $40.00 per day. The only thing good thing about this hotel is it is located close to everything. I am hoping this honest review will help somebody. I only wish that someone told the truth before we came to this dump when checking reviews.

Room Tip: Choose another location.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel de L'Eau Vive? Share your experiences!