“Beautiful home within walking distance to French Quarter” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Five Continents Bed and Breakfast

Save Saved
You added Five Continents Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Five Continents Bed and Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1731 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA 70116 (Mid-City)   |
Ranked #27 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Gainesville, florida
“Beautiful home within walking distance to French Quarter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our first trip to NOLA during Mardi GRAS. We were lucky enough to stay in the European Suite which is absolutely beautiful and huge. The room was immaculate, toiletries some of the nicest I have seen in bed and breakfasts and the towels and sheets excellent quality. This room is at the front of the house on the second floor and has the top balcony directly and privately out the sitting room doors. Petr was an excellent host and we felt welcome from the moment we arrived.
Wireless was ok in the room but much better in the down stairs African sitting/living room. Overall quite a pleasant stay for our first visit to NOLA. We walked to and from the French Quarter each day we were there and we're aware of our surroundings but never felt unsafe, and I am pretty wimpy about that type situation. If you have some thought briefly cross your mind about taking a cab to and fro, think again. On several different occasions, we tried to call for a cab with either busy signal or no answer. We were desperate to get back as it was late and hailed a cab on the "not recommended list". Big mistake, charged $20.00 for a trip that other services charge only $7.00, they didn't take debit/ credit cards as advertised and we were driver God knows where to a sketchy craphole gas station to use the $4.00 ATM to get cash to pay the driver.

I have read some of the reviews posted after our stay, meaning we actually stayed before the above posters stayed and would like to comment. My husband and I arrived in quite a large Ford Explorer and found the complimentary onsite parking ultra convenient. We had absolutely no issues, meaning myself included were able to quite easily navigate the straight as an arrow drive way through the gate and park. There were no issues with non opening, concerns about damaging our vehicle due to te width etc. Any driver worth their salt should be able to manage this parking area. I have certainly stayed in other B &Bs where you needed to complete a 52 point turn to exit. Not here.

I was happy to see that this wonderful home will be changing up their breakfast selection to align themselves with the offerings of their competition city wide. Additionally, other B&B's will leave wine out for guests to serve them self in the evening ridding them of the hassle of having to ask for it. These would have been my only suggestions for improvement.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Five Continents Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thanks for writing and for staying at the Five Continents. With regard to cabs, normally they are quite good and prompt when called and the fares are consistent. At Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest things get overwelming for them and their service is indeed less than perfect. I have varied the menu a bit since you were here and the guests are quite pleased with the changes.We are considering the wine idea. In New Orleans, being the kind of city it is, most guests come in quite late and seem in no mood for more libations. But their are exceptions. We'll see. Thanks again for your kind remarks and taking the time to write extensively.

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

One of the best finds in NOLA. Beautiful interiors, 4-star breakfasts, great location and the class and charm of its host. Would love to keep this my own secret get-away but that would be selfish. The gated parking is another plus, but even if we had to park on the street, we'd still love this place.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a pet, choose the cottage. Easier walking and total privacy.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for writing, it was great to have you here. Akko, our dog, loves to have the occasional companionship and is very friendly toward guests. Hope you come to stay again.
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was the first B&B my fiance and I stayed in. After a little snafu with check-in (Expedia says 2 p.m. but the B&B's website says 3), everything went extremely well. The house is very nice, and the Eurasian Suite was plenty big for the two of us, offering two rooms and a big bathroom. The breakfast that was served each morning was very good as well. Peter is a very nice man and he does a good job of making you feel at home. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for writing. It was great to have you. So glad that your first stay in a B&B was with us in New Orleans. I've been working with Expedia to get the information on their site corrected - thanks for the heads-up about that! I look forward to your next stay with us.
Hamburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

This beautiful B&B war the perfect place to discover the beautiful town of New Orleans. A really nice manorial house, very fine decorated inside with beautiful rooms in a french-mediterranean style. Peter is a very obliging host, he gave good advice where to go, how to manage it and where to eat. Above all he is an exceptionally gifted cook. The breakfast was the highlight of our whole tour (we where a group of friends). An ideal home, elegant and affectionate at the same time. Anna

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
PeterNeu, Owner at Five Continents Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you very much for writing. It was great to have you here. I really like the breakfast time as well, where we can exchange stories about adventures. Come back soon.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Five Continents on our first visit to New Orleans. I was knocked out as soon as we saw the European Suite. It was large and very comfortable, with a private second-floor balcony. We started every morning off with incredible breakfasts and a lot of excellent recommendations for things to see and do, both served up friendly by our hosts Peter and Walter. The place is within walking distance of the French Quarter, yet in a non-touristy area, and I was able to pretend I was a local for a few days. I can't wait to go back to New Orleans, and this is without a doubt where I'll stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
PeterNeu, Owner at Five Continents Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thanks for your kind words. I'm so glad you all had a great time at the Five Continents. So glad you enjoyed the European Suite and the balcony. It is certainly a nice place to retreat to after a busy day or night seeing the sights. Hope to see you again soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We stayed at the Five Continents Bed and Breakfast for a 4-day weekend and decided it was the perfect place for our stay in New Orleans. It was close enough to walk to the French Quarter or any number of touristy places and restaurants and, if there's a need for a taxi, one is there in five minutes. The rooms are full of charm and history; the home is clean and comfortable and welcoming; and I can't say enough about the yummy breakfasts. Add to all that two sweet and informative hosts - a perfect stay in New Orleans! PS A tip - definitely have Peter recommend restaurants to try...his picks were marvelous!

Room Tip: The European Suite has a wonderful sitting room and a balcony with a view at the front. Perfect.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for staying with us and for writing. It was great to have you. I'm so glad that you liked the restaurants I recommended. I do try to check out as many as I can, especially the less well known ones with local or neighborhood character. I also get great tips from guests. Come back soon.
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed in the European Suite, which was really lovely and very spacious. Peter, Walter, and Akko were incredible hosts and were very knowledgable about things to do in New Orleans, restaurants, history, etc. Breakfasts were fantastic and the B&B is within walking distance of most everything we wanted to see in the city. The perfect close to every day was having a beer on our own private gallery. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
PeterNeu, Owner at Five Continents Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thanks so much for writing and I'm so glad you all had a great time. The gallery of European Suite is certainly a wonderful place to have a nightcap after a long day in our beautiful city. Can't wait to have you all back.

Been to Five Continents Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!