“We had a great time...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Balcony Guest House

You added Balcony Guest House to your Saves list
Balcony Guest House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2483 Royal Street, Faubourg/Marigny, New Orleans, LA 70117   |
Ranked #63 of 144 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
“We had a great time...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Balcony was suggested to us by a friend that used to live in the neighborhood, which was fantastic. We felt extremely safe walking all around the area that it's in, and also walking up to Frenchmen Street. The French Quarter is about a 15 minute walk, and the only part about that walk I didn't like was leaving the Quarter late at night. The staff at Balcony was incredibly friendly, and the girls downstairs were very helpful in suggesting local places around the neighborhood that weren't aiming to rob tourists of their money. I definitely suggest you spend some time at Mimi's just down the street. The food was phenomenal! Not your typical bar food. It is a bed and breakfast, so don't expect any maid service to come in and clean your room and make your bed for you everyday. We stayed for 4 nights, and I don't think anyone came in the room the whole time we were there, but I don't mind that. I'm a big girl, I can make my own bed! Brenda showed us to our room and how to get in and out of the secured building, and she was also incredibly sweet and helpful! She made our stay so very nice! The free breakfast only includes certain items off of the menu, but it's good and made pretty fast so you can get on your way. Overall, I'd return to Balcony anytime I visit New Orleans. The room was nice and comfy, and relaxing on the balcony after a long day of walking was a nice treat. We definitely enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Our room didn't have direct access to the balcony like it was supposed to, so if that's a bi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I checked in, dropped my luggage and walked down to Frenchmen St. Got back around 11:00 looking forward to getting some sleep. However, the linen had not been changed from the previous guest. I slept on top of the comforter which was also a little dodgy and stained. Breakfast didn't start until 9:30 so the "free breakfast" was not something I got to enjoy. By 9:30 I'm long gone. I would come back during the day to shower or drop off my bags. Each time I was thinking maybe THIS time someone would have cleaned the room, at least emptied the garbage. But apparently you have to ask for any kind of cleaning to be done here. No cleaning whatsoever for 5 days. And not for at least a few weeks before hand, there were dust bunnies as big as my head under the bed. I know this is not a hotel but I gave this place the benefit of the doubt in regards to cleaning. So while I didn't get free breakfast, I didn't have to tip the cleaning staff because apparently there isn't one. The couple of times I spoke with the owner or restaurant staff they were friendly enough but I definitely wouldn't go back. I guess I was spoiled from the guesthouse I stayed at before coming to this one. That place had everything the Balcony didn't and more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

After having great trouble finding accommodation in New Orleans and emailing over B&Bs it was lovely that the Balcony guest house sent us an e-mail to let us know they had a cancellation.

Both rooms were lovely and had all we needed. The owners and staff were really friendly and breakfast was a treat. It was a bonus that it only started at 9 and we didn't have to get up super early for it like in other hotels.

Great location - only a short walk from Frenchmen Street with lots of restaurants, bars and live music.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Pensacola Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

From the minute I arrived at the Balcony Guest House, I felt welcomed. Staying in the honeymoon suite was a pleasure as the room was comfortable, clean, spacious and tastefully decorated. The staff was fun and friendly while the food was delicious. I felt this guest house was an exceptional value and a totally positive experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Keep in mind that this is a guesthouse and not a 5 star hotel with 24 hour service. That being said, it's not bad. It's almost like going to stay at a friend's condo while they're out of town. You have use of the room and areas of the guesthouse, but also are somewhat left on your own. The cleaning standards of those of a friend's condo and not a hotel. The only real complaint I have is with regards to the bedroom linens. My friend booked the room so that we would have the suite with a bedroom and pull out couch. No issue there; however, there were no other linens or pillows provided for the pull out couch. At a hotel, you would call the front desk and receive the items you needed. At a guesthouse, you can call someone and receive what you need....assuming someone is there. By the time we realized there were no extra linens, we called the proprietor (I'm assuming that was who this person was as we were checked in by the restaurant cook I believe), and he said he wouldn't be able to help us because it was mother's day and he was going to spend the whole day with his wife and mom. Just keep these things in mind when considering a guesthouse.

There were many pluses to staying at this guesthouse. I felt the staff was very friendly (especially my man man rodrigo!), the balcony was nice (we did not have an adjoining balcony to the room but there is a common area you can go to), and it was a little walk to the french quarter, but it wasn't a big deal.

I enjoyed the stay, but just keep in mind this isn't going to be like a hotel stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Higginsville, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Our first trip to New Orleans and I already want to go back. Our stay at the Balcony Guest House was superb. It came recommended to us, we stayed with 3 other friends of ours. The check in was a bit rocky but it all worked out in the end. The rooms were perfect and like any home could use a little touch up here or there but it was a nice home away from home. The easy walking distance to everything was great. The breakfasts were nice, unfortunately we didn't get to enjoy the Indian cuisine that will have to come next time. The staff were friendly, helpful and a joy. This was certainly a gem to find and to stay in. I didn't know what to expect but I expect I'll be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Honestly, I hesitate to write this review for fear there won't be a room for me the next time I'm in Nawlins! Balcony Guest House is a great place: You know you're in Faubourg Marigny, NOT in Anyhotel North America. It is architecturally unique, with a balcony wrapping around the corner; the room and sitting area are nicely appointed with eclectic New Orleans furniture; and Schiro's, the restaurant downstairs, serves excellent inexpensive food and the easygoing wait-staff really makes you feel at home. (Good breakfasts are included for Guest House guests!) You've also got a laundromat, a substantial selection of beer and wine and a modest groceteria on the premises./ On the negative side, the bed in the room we were in - Room 1, I think - needs some work done: It tilts slightly to one side. But ... this didn't spoil our enjoyment of being there. Thanks to you, Zak, Steve, Rod and to the others on staff! Steven

Room Tip: If you like the sun, pick a room that has direct access to the balcony. (Though I believe you can ac...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple