“What a [-] hole!” 1 of 5 stars

124 South Lopez Street, New Orleans, LA 70119 (Mid-City)   |
Tampa, Florida
“What a [-] hole!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

I've stayed at hostels all over the world for the past 25 years and this was the filthiest dump I've ever seen. It should be condemned.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — filthy
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

We spent 4 nights at India House and regretted every minute of it. The "staff" couldn't really be bothered to be friendly and we felt like we were imposing on them by asking to check in.

Our private room was a tiny cabin in the garden, with only just enough room for a bed, and we had to go to another building to use the bathroom.

We were shocked when we asked if we would be provided with towels, or could hire them, and were rudely told that we would have to buy them for $5 each, something we have never encountered at other hostels.

The hostel is incredibly noisy. Music blares through speakers most of the time, and guests (and staff) don't realise that some people might actually want to sleep. As our "private" room was in the garden/party area, we were kept awake by music, shouting and loud phone conversations for large parts of the night.

India House seems to attract a weird bunch of travellers. Every time we walked through the hostel we were met by staring, unfriendly people who seemed to just lounge around in front of the TV all day and have no interest in seeing what the city had to offer.

The hostel is in an area badly affected by Katrina and is semi-derelict and pretty rough. There is nothing around (shops, restaurants etc), it's badly lit, and it's quite a long streetcar ride into town, which you might not want to take late at night.

We ended up moving to a fairly reasonable hotel in the French Quarter for our last two nights in New Orleans and wished we'd been there the whole time.

It's amazing that some people seem to be happy to pay to stay at India House. If you want to enjoy your time in a great city (and not dread going back to your accommodation), find somewhere else!

• Liked — Leaving it for another hotel!
  • Disliked — See above
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kiss_Cassie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

I can definitely see what some of the critics are saying about this hostel. It was my first time staying in a hostel and I was a bit put off at first by the bunk beds you had to make yourself and the fact that you have to share a space. But that being said, I only stayed one night and I got over this very quickly. When I got there the girl who gave me the room was a bit “reserved” (she forgot to give me linens!) and most of the people kept to their selves. I went out and came back and the people at the front desk were SO nice! So I get what people are saying about the staff being rude, but obviously wherever you go there are going to be people who you click with and those who you don’t. When I woke up the next morning it seemed like everyone wanted to talk to me and I practically had to force myself to leave. This place is incredible ascetically. There is amazing artwork everywhere and this funky bohemian vibe. It was very clean. None of the showers were available….And I assure you I am a total prima donna but the laid back vibe must have gone to my head because it didn’t really bother me much. Somebody broke one of the showers and they were fixing it the next morning while I was leaving so don’t listen to what people say about it being run down. The atmosphere was intoxicating and I will definitely stay there the next time I go to NOLA. I loved this place!

• Liked — General Atmosphere
  • Disliked — The bed could have been a bit more comfy
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
WEST CHESTER PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

I've been a backpacker for years and stayed at Hostels from around the world. I laugh at reading the reviews for the India House mainly because I can decipher who is a backpacker and who is a rich snob who stays at a hotel most of the time and knows not what a hostel is. A reminder to those who book at the India House.... There is an S between Ho and TEL. It is a HOSTEL. The India House is one of the most amazing experiences one could ever witness during their visits in the wonderful city of New Orleans. Yes it is not a 5 star hotel, which is what I assume some thought would be their experience when they arrived (mint on the pillow and HBO on demand and all). It is a HOSTEL. You pay $17 a night for a bed. You meet people from around the world and drink and Have the time of your lives. It's clean, It's in a quiet suburb part of the city, staff is AMAZING when it comes to making you feel at home, and I can't wait to go back. A Street car is waiting for you basically on the front doorstep to take you to the French Quarter (only 5 min away) and well, You HAVE to come to this place to know the rest. AMAZING!!!!!

• Liked — Its Character
  • Disliked — Nothing. It was Great!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

All I can say it that I had the worst experience here. I was on my own and the staff were cold, unfriendly, and totally unaccommodating. Don’t bother checking in here unless you think you'll be allowed to hang out with the "cool kids" because that’s how the staff and some of the patrons here acted. Seriously after a few hours here I managed to book accommodation elsewhere – thank god. This place was a joke. I could go on about it but it’s not worth my time. Just wanted to warn others!

• Liked — Zilch
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

After reading a few reviews on Trip Advisor I was quite unsure as to whether India House was the place for me to stay....Against my inital reservations I booked and was quite looking forward to arriving there and meeting some new friends. Not the case. From the moment I walked in I felt very uncomfortable, mainly due to the Staff - who didnt seem to be friendly at all - and the area its suitated in - totally dodgy!!!!! After having to pay cash for the remaining nights (something that wasnt specified on their website) & getting the initial tour, I thought I would try and have a chat with some staff and/or other backpackers in the living room. They were all on the internet reading through reviews from Trip Advisor and laughing at bad reviews! It was like I didnt even exist, and any attempt I did make at trying to have a conversation with them made me feel like I was being totally intrusive. That was enough to make me realise that this place was going to completely ruin my holiday and I got straight onto the internet & booked a hotel right next to Bourbon St that I had previously checked out. I managed to get through the night (dont know how), and checked out at 7am in the morning. The only good thing (apart from leaving) was the guy behind the desk kindly refunded me my money for the remainding 2 nights. Although even if he hadnt, I wouldnt have cared - anything to get out of that dump!!!!!!

• Liked — Leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! & the internet access - helped me get the hell out of there
  • Disliked — where should I start??? Definitely the Staff, amongst other things
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Reading, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

Went for a week stayed for a month all becuase this is on of the best places on earth.

Staff were friendly and made me feel at home from the manager down to the guys n gals doing the routine chores round the place.

Had a great atmosphere and a POOL which is such a bonus for a hostel to have just remember to use sunscreen.

If your in New Orleans then u gotta do it stay at the India House i never really wanted to leave!

• Liked — The Staff and The Atmosphere of the place oh and the pool!!
  • Disliked — I wnet for a week stayed for a month so there was nothing i didnt like!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to India House Hostel? Share your experiences!