“Love Harrah's,Love New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ontario
“Love Harrah's,Love New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

Went with my significant other for a weekend getaway of fun and chose Harrah's as I have status from gaming in their properties in Las Vegas. Check-in was a breeze at the hotel and we received a premium river view room on the 25th floor. The room had two double beds which were fantastically comfortable, a large bathroom with tub and a separate shower .The toilet is separate as well with a door. There was a fridge in which to store drinks and snacks and also a coffee maker. The hallway from the door to the room to the main body of the room was fairly long so as to minimize noise from the hallway. We never heard anything and slept like logs except for one night at 3am when a lady with a voice like a fog-horn shouted her goodnights to a friend going into another room. The hotel has no coffee shop or gift store and quite a small lobby area. It is however VERY nice. It does have Ruth Chris Steak House attached to it which we didn't try as we'd tried this Steakhouse chain before and had been underwhelmed.The casino is accessed either by crossing the street outside the hotel or through a tunnel from the hotel. It is a great feeling, first thing in the morning to leave the elevator and to go through a quiet and clean smelling lobby, instead of having to breathe in stale tobacco scented air or be aurally assaulted by the clang of slot machines like one does in most of the hotels in Las Vegas.
Once checked in we unpacked and went for a quick lunch at Bambu, the asian restaurant in the casino. The food was very good (the won ton soup is a delicious standout ) and as soon as we were done we went for a walk in the warm sunshine. There is also a Starbucks coffee counter in the casino from where to get coffee in the morning, though the hotel does have 24hr room service with the usual outrageous prices (20% service charge on the cost of the overpriced item you order plus $2.00 delivery fee. i.e a 5 minute walk there and back for two medium coffees for $5.00 or $12.00 for same amount of coffee delivered)
The hotel is literally five minutes away from the French Quarter and what a fun place it is to explore. It is filled with curio shops, art galleries and antique stores to explore. There is also a large outdoor market called the French Market that sells mostly very junky souvenir stuff (voodoo dolls, baseball hats, tea-shirts,beads...etc) which upon closer inspection is all unsurprisingly made in China. However if you have the patience to look carefully amongst all the bric-a-brac, you will find some genuine local artisans such as very talented young man who hand-makes exquisite carnival masks. One of the joys of New Orleans is the music and it is everywhere. We did a bar crawl on Bourbon St on the Saturday evening after a superb seafood dinner at a great restaurant called GW Finns. This street was hopping with people, with  bars competing with each other for their customers by offering 3 for 1 drink deals and some of the loudest and most diverse music you'll ever hear. Every time we returned to the hotel we were welcomed by the friendly door-person and reception staff which made it feel very homey. A great experience for anyone looking for a fun getaway.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by the upscale nature of this hotel. I generally find that "casino hotels" are a bit "tired" for all the wear. My deluxe room was very clean and quiet and had a comfy king bed w/heavy comforter. The bathroom had the deepest tub I've ever seen in addition to an appealing glass enclosed shower. I was very happy here, particularly for the convenience of walking back to my room after a late night at the casino. The lobby/check-in was well staffed and friendly, and eager to help on a moment's notice.
FYI - be sure to get a Harrah's card at the casino and have it validated at the front desk in order to get free parking.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Orange, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

My husband and I were able to get a great rate for a couple of days to celebrate our anniversary. This is our third time to stay here. The hotel is beautiful and the location is conveniant. I asked for and received a room with a river view, on the 18th floor, which was awesome. The room was very clean, nice.......with a desk, couch, chair, very comfortable bed. The bathroom is huge....nice makeup mirror, coffeemaker, separate shower, large tub, separate toilet room, with plenty of towels. Everyone at the desk and in the lobby is extremely friendly and helpful. It's a short walk to the Riverwalk Mall for beignets in the morning. It's very conveniant to catch the Canal Streetcar, short walk to the French Quarter. There is a free shuttle to Mardi Gras World and I found out later that same shuttle could have taken us to the World War II museum. But we enjoyed the ride on the St. Charles streetcar out there anyway. Harrah's parking garage is right around the corner with "free" 24-hour parking for 30 minutes play in the casino. My husband had a winning streak and I had a losing streak, but we both had fun.
Dislike: We each had 2 flat pillows to sleep on and the internet is not free. Another night and I would have asked for new pillows. Otherwise, another great stay at Harrah's in New Orleans.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

This was our 6th time staying at Harrahs and we've never been disappointed. The rooms are immaculate and a nice size, the bed is so comfortable, and the bathroom is roomy with a nice soaking tub. We like that the hotel is small. The front desk staff is a pleasure to deal with as is the bell and valet staff. A-1 service all the time. Room service is prompt and while not inexpensive, the food is delicious and served hot or cold as appropriate. The location is ideal for walking to the riverfront, the Quarter, and the Convention Center, as well as shopping and many restaurants. We enjoy Besh Steak and Bambu in the casino - first rate food in a casual setting. The buffet is hit or miss but is handy for a late night meal. If available, do try one of the corner suites - they are "true" suites with two separate rooms and very spacious. But the regular rooms are also quite nice. The cleanliness of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff make up for the absence of a pool and spa. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Kirkwood, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

Was comp-ed a room at Harrah's New Orleans so we stayed here one of the three nights we were in New Orleans. The customer service was great, the hotel room was immaculate and it was convenient to everything. It's hard to complain about a free room but the cost of parking was a little off-putting - $30/night. However, if you go into the casino and keep your slot card active for 30 minutes, then your parking is free. That wasn't too hard to do, but others considering staying at the hotel should be aware of this. No complaints at all about the hotel - it was an easy walk down to Jackson Square and the lower part of the French Quarter and the Canal Street Streetcar is just steps away.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

Over the past couple of years, I've stayed at Harrahs New Orleans probably a half dozen times. I've also stayed at most of the surrounding hotels as well (Hilton, Marriott, Westin, Wyndham).

First, the Harrah's hotel itself....it's one of the 'newer' hotels in the immediate area. Check-in has always been a breeze. I've never been there when there was more than one person ahead of me in the check-in line. The front desk has always been friendly and helpful.

The rooms are fairly good sized, the beds are very comfortable. The bathrooms are large, with a soaking tub, a seperate shower and private toilet. The rooms have always been clean, and I never had any problems with housekeeping.

The hotel is fairly quiet. You still have the train....but that's true at all the area hotels. If you're a really light sleeper, you may want to ask for a 'city view', which will put you on the oppisite side of the hotel from the train tracks. The noise is less noticeable at Harrahs than at the other area hotels I've stayed in (particularily the Wyndham.....the train is right next to their rooms).

If you're lucky enough to get one of the 'corner rooms', you get a larger room (seperate bedroom), and a nice view. From my experience, unless you're a really 'high roller', your best chance at a corner room comes during a mid-week stay. But, I've never had a bad room during any stay.

Any 'cons' with the hotel?....the elevators....Harrahs has a 'key' system in the elevators...and while this is a plus for security, it seems to me that it's always a bit 'flaky'. I always have to try my key 3-4 times before I get a 'green' light. Not really a complaint, just a nuisance at times.

The hotel itself is 'small', so they don't have a lot of 'services'. There's no spa (although you can request to one at another hotel, Lowes, I believe....but it's in another building). The gym is small, but it's hardly ever used (at least during my experiences).

Parking.......Typical New Orleans parking, or lack thereof. If you plan on parking a car, plan on a little aggrevation. The options you have are....Valet at the hotel (think it's about $30/day), or you can self park at the garage next door. The self parking costs around $20/day, but if you gamble for 30 mins, you can get your parking validated (or if you're a Diamond Rewards member, you can park for 'free' in the self park.....not in the hotel valet). Be forewarned, if you there on the weekend, the parking garage fills up quickly! A car isn't a necessity, as everything is within a nice walking distance of the hotel.

The casino.....it's fairly large. Although they have plenty of slots, they do get crowded on the weekends. The same for the tables. Never had any big wins on the slots there. The table games are plentiful, with a good variety of games, but, again, on the weekends they are crowded, and you're not likely to find any $10 tables. The poker room is decent sized. They always seem to have a variety of levels. The casino can be fun, but if this is first trip to New Orleans, don't spend too much time in the casino!

The buffet .......I've been to almost all of the Harrah's properties around the country, and to several other casino's (buffet's) in NV.....and I would rank the New Orleans one as somewhere near the bottom. But, if you're in New Orleans, there's too many other places to eat, than a buffet. I did find the breakfast to be decent. But would recommend other places to eat.....go down to Cafe du Monde.

Other restaurants in the casino....again, there's too many other choices, so I haven't tried all the ones in the casino. But if you like sweet iced tea, go to the McAllisters deli in the front part of the casino (you have to be a southener probably to like sweet tea...lol). They also make a great club sandwich.

Make sure you go to 'Mothers' while you're in N.O. It's located just up the street, to your left when you come out of the hotel (about a block and a half away). They have the most authentic (and delicious) N.O. and Southern cooking of anywhere downtown (in my humble opinion). But, plan to go 'off peak' hours, unless you want to stand in line. Everyone else knows it's good too! Some of the best 'etoufee' I've ever had.

I will be returning to Harrahs at the end of Feb (right before Mardi Gras), and would recommend the hotel without hesitation.

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Memphis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Went to New Orleans after Christmas to scout some hotels for our Family Reunion coming up in July. Ended up staying at Harrah's because my mom got a comped room.

To start off parking is steep ($30 something dollars) , however if you play atleast 30 minutes on your Total Rewards Card you get 24hours of parking for free in the casino's parking garage (self park). We stayed Monday-Wednesday and didn't pay one penny for parking. Another thing one should note is that Harrah's Casino and Harrah's hotel are not one in the same. They are actually across the street from each other. However, there is a nice covered walkway/tunnel that connects the two.

The hotel's location is great. Steps away from the Riverwalk, the Aquarium and the French Quarters. You are in prime walking distances for many activities. The room itself was very nice and equipped with a large tv and mini fridge. There was even a doorbell for each room and an electric indicator to press if you did not want to be disturubed of if you need housekeeping. My favorite part of the room was the bathroom. It was HUGE! Walk in shower, separate tub big enough for two people. Lastly, the toilet was separated by a door from the rest of the bathroom.

Housekeeping was very attentive along with the other staff. Many times when I came and left I was greeted by someone at the front door and the bellmen were very helpful when trying to hail taxis.

We didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel, but we did eat at the buffet in the casino. It was okay, not the best but not terrible either. My mother and her friend visited Steak and Bamboo (I believe that was the name of it), they were not impressed with the food and stated that the hostess was very rude because they did not have a reservation. We also ate at McCalisters in the casino. The food tasted nothing like the McCalisters I have been to. In addition, I had to send my 'sweet' tea back because clearly it was unsweetened. When they gave me another one, still no luck so I just gave up.
All in all a great hotel, prime location. Though, I would venture out for food.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Harrah's New Orleans? Share your experiences!