“Excellent Hotel in downtown” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   228 Poydras Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #36 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Hotel in downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Convenient hotel to all bourbon street actvities, Mississippi River attractions,trolley stops and Convention Center. Easy hotel to get at from any place downtown and they have free parkingif you play for 1/2 hour daily. Rooms are exceptional.

Room Tip: Ruth's Chris is in hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel and I absolutely love it! I literally can't think of one negative thing to say about it. The hotel is clean and elegant, and everyone is so professional and polite, true southern hospitality. I really get the feeling that the employees love their job and are happy to help us with anything. One person in particular stood out, Melinda! She was so personable, and made us feel like family. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone staying in New Orleans. I can't wait to stay here again!

Room Tip: corner suites facing the water!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We were in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl 2013.
Harrah's New Orleans is in a great location, centrally located close to Jackson Square and the French Quarter. The casino is a short walk across the street or if you prefer to stay indoors, there is an access tunnel that takes you there which is nice for late nights or if it’s raining.
The staff at the hotel was all very welcoming and our view from the 6th floor was great.
The only downsides for me were the cost of internet at $14.95 per day, which is typical for a convention hotel and a convenient place to grab a quick breakfast nearby. Although, a must stop is Mother’s down the street.
All in all, I would stay here again and recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor with city view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

This was our 5th time to stay at Harrah's New Orleans, and it just keeps getting better. The service is outstanding. The rooms are very spacious and totally soundproof. We used room service, which is now 24/7, several times, and the food arrived every time earlier than promised. We had a slight problem with one of our return airline tickets, and the concierge took care of it for us. We will never stay anywhere else in New Orleans!!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Let me start this review off by saying I stayed here comped by Harrahs with my total rewards from a Sunday through a Friday recently. Now the hotel is in the downtown area close to most things in walking distance. I arrived and parked in the garage in our rental car. Parking is free if you gamble some they are kiosks in the casino to check your status. That was easy and worked well. I reserved a Premium Room King Bed. It also allowed me to pick preferences of a king bed again and non-smoking. I was left waiting a while to check in while the agent talked to a manager apparently it was some act of god they found me a room even though I had a reservation. They gave me a low level room with a view of the parking garage instead of the room selection I made of premium which denotes a high level room. It appears they do this to everyone who is comped. You get treated less but they give you a free room. So it is whatever I suppose. After inquiring he said it is a preference When in fact the preference was only the non-smoking everything else was in my actual selection of my reservation.

Moving on. The room is nicely sized and appointed for the most part. However, I was missing a robe. So had to ask for another one. The TV is almost pointless because its very old CRT version the big kind with a back. It would go in and out I imagine from its age. Can't think it won't take too much money to replace them at this day and age. Wireless internet was confusing not sure if I actually got billed for it and can't get it online have to call the front desk for a code. No one mentioned anything when checking in. The bathroom is where the hotel seems to have spent its money. It has a water closet and separate bath/shower. So I must say I did like the bathroom. Also, there are buttons you press on the inside for DND and housekeeping no need to hang anything outside the door. I thought they were nifty. The on site restaurant is a Ruth Chris nice place but if your in New Orleans better to go somewhere local I say.

The casino isn't directly attached but a small walk through a tunnel will get you there. There are plenty of things to do in the area of the hotel and walking distance areas such as the french quarter.

i was mainly disappointed by the tv and front desk experience not getting the room I booked. Overall it was okay. I did love the bathroom.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cookeville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Arrived from flight at 9:30 a.m. Was told rooms would not be available until 4:00 but we could pay an additional $30 fee to check in early-if rooms became available. People and luggage were camped out in every available seat in the lobby waiting for their rooms. Finally, around 3:00 p.m. was able to check in (after refusing to pay the additional fee) and was told that a king size room would not be available, as requested. They are given to Players Club members. Note another party in our group was able to secure a king size bedroom after we checked in. Rooms are nice but there are plenty of other hotels close by that would serve same purpose and be more accommodating to first time visitors. Be prepared at pay an additional $11 for Internet, per day, as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a good view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in December for my 60th birthday. As always the staff was very nice, the room was spotless, the floor was quiet and we had a great time. I love this hotel. They have a few new rules in place that I wasn't thrilled with like paying $40 to check in early (half an hour early) so I just went to the casino until check in time. It gets very congested waiting to check in at 4 so I always pull into town for a late lunch then on to Harrah's by 3 or 3:30.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrah's New Orleans? Share your experiences!