“Perfect location, historic with a few rough edges” 3 of 5 stars

Andrew Jackson Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   919 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #111 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
dallas
“Perfect location, historic with a few rough edges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Sister hotel overbooked and to honor my reservation sent me to Andrew Jackson. I was glad to be closer to the heart of the French Quarter. My original hotel also discounted my rate for my stay for the trouble. Second floor at the end of the balcony on the left side by the stairs. This room had 1 bed, pretty tight missing things like a chair. Had large bathroom, no hot water handle in the tub and the toilet ran. Overall better than average clean, comfortable, had some charm. Noise echo's from the courtyard to all the rooms as you would imagine. Very professional staff they were pleasant and offered help. They were very prompt with breakfast, cleaning the room, everything dealing with the front desk. The front desk took what could have been a disaster and accommadated their guest. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: There are 3 buildings, front house and courtyard, back 1 story courtyard. Best are 2nd floor courtya...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Bath, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Recently stayed at the Andrew Jackson Hotel while in New Orleans for Jazzfest. Kudos for the location and staff. Interesting note...saw ghost tours point to the hotel, only to find out there are claims that it is haunted by boys who were killed in a fire there in the 1700s!

Negative...if you don't want to hear every conversation in the lobby or outside your window on Royal Street...DO NOT get the room right off the lobby. That's my best piece of advice.

Because of the timing of our visit (Jazzfest), I believe the cost of the room was way too high. I would consider visiting again when rooms aren't at a premium. Didn't think the room was worth over $300 per night!

Room Tip: Not the room off the lobby!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Greenfield Center, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The Andrew Jackson Hotel site boasts of old world charm and modern conveniences with 18th century furnishings. I can tell you first hand the room we stayed in had no such things. We were in a 2nd floor court yard room. The last time the windows and sills where painted they neglected to trim around the glass to remove the paint. There was dust on the ceiling fan and a/c heat vents. There was one 3 draw dresser which was missing a handle and the drawers did not work properly. There was one chair with no side table. There was no iron board as stated on the site, thank goodness we did not require one as I do not think it would have appeared. The bath was small which would be fine except there was no space or place to put a cosmetic bag or toiletry bag except the back of the toilet. There was no trash can in the bath so you had to use the one in the bedroom area. While the towels where clean they were old and stained. The bedding was new and the bed was comfortable. The room was nothing like those on the Hotels website. There were gaps around the door and a door chain with no place to latch. Don't order the continental breakfast as it will not appear or if it does it will be late. There was no order form as stated in the room, we asked at the front desk and were given the form which we completed and requested breakfast for the next morning for 7:30; at 8 a.m. it had not arrived so we called the desk and was told they were late it would be there 10 - 15 minutes, it arrived 30 min. late. We could not take coffee in the courtyard as it was raining…so we had to have it in our room unfortunately there was not place to set it other than the bed as the dresser was used by the TV and the night stands were occupied by a lamp and clock on one side and the ice bucket and plastic cups on the other. There was an electrical outlet which did not work and appeared to be providing power to the smoke alarm, not sure if it would have worked if needed. There other outlet near the bed was used by the lamp and clock. The only remaining outlet in the room (excluding bath) had one available but your chargers etc would not stay plugged in. So we had to unplug the tv and rotate our chargers for our phones, iPads etc. The staff was friendly, but don't ask for anything because that is where it stops. We came back one day from being in the rain to dry off there was one towel in the room. When we went back out we stopped by the front desk and told him, he advised us it would be taken care of…several hours later when we returned there was no additional towel.

We have traveled through the U.S and Europe and always prefer to stay in small historical locations when possible. We don't mind a small room as long as the amenities are clean and comfortable. What we found here was dingy and old like no one cared. Since our booking and stay I have seen responses from Management where they have indicated that they are making renovations. They might be better off to put it someplace on their site. Trust me, (and this is not a practice of mine) if I could have found a room anywhere else this past weekend I would have cancelled and gone elsewhere. For what we got I think we over paid. Save yourself the stress there are 2 other locations right next door try those I think you will be happier.

Room Tip: We had a court yard room 2nd floor it was quiet. However not worth the price.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Vickie P, General Manager at Andrew Jackson Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review. First, I want to apologize for the unacceptable experience you described, which is not the level of service we try to provide. Your feedback was shared with the entire staff @ the Andrew Jackson in an effort to ensure this does not happen again. I am personally going to visit each of the guest rooms at the Andrew Jackson,with maintenance and housekeeping in tow. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally to discuss the issues you had while with us and the action taken. I want to invite you back to the Andrew Jackson so that our team can show you the wonderful service that we can provide. Again, please accept my sincere apology. I can be reached at 504.524.4401. I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Andrew Jackson evidently had a judgement against him for $1,000 in this exact place in a prior building. There's a lot of history to this place. The current hotel was originally built in 1888 (I think) and has that French Quarter feel and is just a block or two off of Bourbon St. Our room had high ceilings and old style crown moulding. The room was small, but it fit what we expected with an early "original" building. The courtyard was lovely with red brick and a fountain along with patio tables where you could kick back and rest with trees and plantings that made it cozy while having a few drinks before hitting the bars. Bathroom was small, but everything was functional and up-to-date. Staff was friendly but could have been a little more on the ball to tell us that where we were parked was a place that the THURSDAY street cleaning trucks would be visiting ... and all vehicles in the way would be towed. Glad we asked and followed up on that! I recommend this place and my girlfriend and I had a wonderful evening there. They even let us bring our bikes into the courtyard for safe keeping overnight.

Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Like many of the other reviews, we found this hotel dingy and disgusting. The bathroom was beyond gross - rust stains in the tub, dripping faucet, worn porcelain everywhere, and the tile on the threshold was totally worn. No windows in the room and barely a closet. My husband said he smelled rodents, then I read the review that said there were mice in the rooms. Even the courtyard was less than charming. The only good thing about this hotel was the girl at the front desk - Mary Francis. If it weren't for her, I'd have given this 0 stars. We have stayed in other hotels in the French Quarter that were also old, but they were charming and well kept. Old does not have to mean filthy and ill-maintained.

Room Tip: Read reviews thoroughly. Where there are concerns about cleanliness, steer clear.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Vickie P, General Manager at Andrew Jackson Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your stay with us. I was however saddened to read about your experience during your visit to New Orleans. We 've shared your review with the staff in an effort to correct some of the issues you mentioned.
Since taking over the property this past year we've already added a new bedding package which does include mattresses, flat-screen televisions, with the new furniture, microwaves and mini refrigerators arriving any day now.
While guest and bathroom renovations are scheduled to begin this summer, please know this is a process. Please accept our sincerest apology and we hope that you will visit us again after renovations so that you can see how we are slowly turning this wonderful property into the Gem of the French Quarter.
Bath, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I just stayed at the Andrew Jackson over the weekend of JazzFest. I really liked the place even though it is OLD...like historic building old. The beds were comfy and the room was large, It was clean and the staff was really friendly! If you want a historic setting this is the place for you...Andrew Jackson was in court on this site!!! It is also supposed to be haunted but nothing was noticed (and I slept with one eye open). The only reason I gave the place 4 stars is that we had the room just off the lobby in the front of the hotel and the garbage truck arrived at around 3 am and it sounded like a Jumbo jet landing outside. I expected a little noise from partygoers but this truck shook the shutters. There is a courtyard behind the lobby and I expect the noise levels to be reduced there but I have no clue if the rooms are as nice as ours was. But...all in all...I thought this place was special. In a great location!

Room Tip: Stay off the street!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Key West, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I've read previous reviews and I've seen the same types of comments in places like Key West & Calistoga/Napa area. These destinations are historical and if you chose to stay there "in the thick of it" one must realize that things were different when these places were built. A big reason for staying in a place like the AJH is the historical, quaint atmosphere.

During the reservation process and a communication prior to check-in I requested a couple of things. 1) a room in the courtyard and 2) an extra blanket because "this guy" gets cold easily. When we arrived check-in went very smoothly. We stayed in Room 107. Upon entering the room we noticed that it is indeed a small room with very high ceilings. This is no never mind to us because this is a place for sleeping. In any case, the place was clean and the daily service was on par and yes, the extra blanket was in the closet. I've read many, many reviews complaining that it was too cold. Not so if you stay in 107. The room had a heater & thermostat so I never needed the extra blanket. Just keep in mind when changing the thermostat that the room is small and will heat up quickly. Actually, it got quite warm so we had to turn it down and open the door. The bathroom is small as well but doable, one just has to use their space wisely. The beds were very comfortable.

A light breakfast was served every morning (fill out the 'card' they give you). And the courtyard with the fountain was so peaceful that we at breakfast there, had a happy hour drink there or just sat and read or uploaded pics to FB. A fantastic down time place.

This is one convenient location. If you forgot anything or wanted to drop off your jackets, purchases or whatever, it's a short walk back to the room. Rouses Market (grocery) is a couple blocks away on Royal if you find yourself needed anything. It's actual a cute, well stocked store.

The staff was very friendly and always willing to assist with anything needed.

Room Tip: 107 is downstairs on the way to the courtyard (10-15 steps away). Has heater thermostat.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Andrew Jackson Hotel? Share your experiences!