“Needs to be better!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #108 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Canton
“Needs to be better!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Although it is a great location it could be so much better. Run the vacum & do a little matinance! Front desk person very sloppy. If you are not going to have a uniform at least dress properly! Nancy R

Room Tip: If you have an issue with stairs, make sure to ask for a room on first floor. Stairs are very steep!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The package was $179.00 per person for 2 nights plus taxes & service fees. We arrived on Monday afternoon & checked out Wednesday morning.

The hotel staff were friendly, helpful & checking in was a breeze. We ended up with a suite on the upper floor. It was spacious & had vintage decor. It was cool indoors even though it was hot outside.
The toiletries were impressive - the soap, shampoo & lotion smelled really fresh & fruity instead of the bland, scentless kind you get at other hotels.

The location is great - we got to park the car in a monitored lot & walked everywhere else.
Continental breakfast was available the first morning when we woke up and the room was cleaned by the time we came back after roaming.

The historic carriage ride was very informative & it was nice to be taken around the French Quarter in old-fashioned transport.

Dinner at Muriel's was amazing - very classy & delicious! GREAT date night spot to impress!
Breakfast was not available the second morning - but we didn't mind because we still had the Cafe Au Lait & Beignets at Cafe du Monde.

The hotel never complained about any noise - even though we came back pretty drunk & obnoxious one of the nights.
And we thought there was a swimming pool, but we never came across one.

Overall, it was fantastic (WELL worth every penny) & I would definitely recommend it!!!

Room Tip: *The rooms near the entrance have less A/C unit noise than the ones near the fountain in the courtya...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarasota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I used to stay at the Andrew Jackson hotel all the time when I was younger however it seemed like every time I wanted to stay there in recent years it was always booked up. Finally got a chance to take my husband there this past weekend. We paid a little extra for a room with a balcony and it was well worth it! The price we paid was about the price we would pay for a simple room with no balcony anywhere else in the French Quarter.

Yes, the hotel is older... and hence there are things that need to be repaired. I'm sure they have a running list at all times. We loved the history behind the place ourselves. The room was clean and the hotel is SO close to anything and everything. It had a small 19" TV but we weren't there to watch TV. The bathroom looked like it had been updated recently.

The staff.. Well, they are a little rough around the edges. The guy that worked pretty much the whole time we were there was pretty good once we buttered him up a bit but the guy that took his place on Monday did not have a bit of personality. We didn't want or need much so it didn't really matter to us at all. Hurricane Isaac was coming in the day we were leaving and friends of mine were forced to leave and I'm sure he could have made it more pleasant for them.

I would reccomend this place to anyone that really wants to "experience" New Orleans. If you are a chain hotel type of person then don't go here, actually for that matter, you may not want to go to New Orleans. But if you want to experience the magic at a very reasonable price then this is your place.

Room Tip: Pick one of the balcony rooms!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
COON RAPIDS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Spent 4 nights at the Andrew Jackson Hotel! What a nice clean place. Was a bit surprised by how small our room was but considering we did not spent 24/7 in the room it was fine. Staff were friendly enough and gave several great recommendations on sites to see and food to try! Would definitely suggest this place to others. Nice location and walking distance to all attractions and right next to Bourbon street!

South Orange, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Really people, save up a little longer and get yourself a decent hotel room. No self control AC, a 2 inch gap at your front door, ie, the door's not long enough....hello, bugs get in and so does the very hot air. Did have effective ceiling fan. The ONLY plus is the hotel's location on the fabulous Royal St. Thank Goodness.

Room Tip: The best tip is to get another hotel.
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

After an internet search of several hotel options for the weekend of July 4th 2012, we decided on the Andrew Jackson Hotel! BAD BAD DECISION! This was my first experience at a small privately owned hotel (not a major chain) and it was beyond HORRIBLE. The pictures online are very misleading and the staff could have been more pleasant. The first night our room was the size of a matchbox, literally. The AC was not fully functional; the bathroom was nasty…etc. The discontent with that room was written all over my face. The next morning, I went to the front desk to see if they had any larger rooms, and of course they did (but instead of a complimentary “upgrade”, it was only offered to me if I paid the difference…which I did). Upon entering the “upgraded” room, I did notice the AC was fully functional. The bed was sunken in on one side and the floor boards sounded like they would give out at any moment. Not to mention that when I went to open the bathroom window the blinds were cracked and chipped, the wand was missing and when I went to pull the blinds up they fell on to the floor. Needless to say, I put in a call to the management and I’m still waiting on a response. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy and I can truly call this a lesson learned. I will not be satisfied until I voice my opinion with hotel management.

Room Tip: A tip? Just don't stay there!
Rotorua, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

What a lovely hotel! We arrived at the beginning of the heatwave and were so pleased to have a room with really good air conditioning. The room (and bathroom) was clean. The beds were comfortable.

This is lovely historic building has been lovingly decorated 'New Orleans' style. The colour of the building and paintwork is what first attracted me to it.

Being a couple of streets away from the main French Quarter, it is close (and safe) enough to walk, but far enough away that you don't hear the late night music and activities.

The only drawback for us is that we were travelling around the States with two big heavy suitcases. Our room was located outside, up the external staircase. My partner, who is 63, had to carry both suitcases up the stairs, then down again at the end of our stay. It would have been a nice touch if the man at reception had offered to help.

We didn't realise that breakfast was included until the last day - just as we were leaving! We weren't told.

The service was mixed - there were three men on reception at different times during our stay, who provided various levels of service. One fellow was particularly friendly and helpful, and I'd like to see the other two follow his lead.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room if you can't walk up and down stairs, or your bags are heavy (you wi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Andrew Jackson Hotel? Share your experiences!