“Great location need attention” 3 of 5 stars

Andrew Jackson Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   919 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #111 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
NEW YORK
“Great location need attention”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

This hotel is located in the best street right in the center of the french quarter so it is great for exploring the aeria.We had probably the best room overlooking Royal street with a big balcony.
Unfortunatly, it seems that the owner doen't seems to be willing to do basic maintenance like
providing handles on dressers(hard to open drawers without it)towel bar in the bathroom falling if you hang a towel on it.Its only small details and would cost almost nothing to fix if someone cared.rates were average for the aeria but you can get better deals in the aeria(better hotel)for the same price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
east greemwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

After all kinds of airport delays, we finally arrived a day behind the schedule to Andrew Jackson Hotel for my sons 18th birthday last summer. I have to say the hotel was not just welcoming, to make my sons birthday even better, they upgrade us to suite with the great view of Royal street.
Finally my so miserable teenager was happy. the desk people help me to surprise my son with the steam boat Jaz dinner cruise. I am going back this year(not with my son:) with my sister and I am going to stay at Andrew Jackson again!
There are many hotels with brand new doors and furniture, but in french quarter with this beautiful historic building how would brand new furniture look? people need to make their minds up.
I love the history and ghostly shadows of lives that pass by here

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

If you're looking for an inexpensive hotel off from Bourbon that is simply a place to sleep, then this would work. The rooms are small and in definate need of updating. No A/C in our room. The staff did their jobs but didn't seem to be overly into it. Nice little courtyard and a very basic continental breakfast. The property is on Royal Street and is close enough to many of the French Quarter sites.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I had read the reviews here and was a little concerned about what we'd find when we got to our rooms. As our friend says below, we were definitely pleasantly surprised. We had an upstairs, courtyard room. Our room was definitely spacious enough for our needs (sleeping & getting ready to wander about the French Quarter) and they were very clean. I wasn't expecting The Ritz for the price we paid and I was prepared for the lack of parking because of the reviews posted, so no surprises there. The hotel is old - built in 1888. If you want new or want something fancy, go somewhere else and pay more. Of course, you won't have authenticity or be as close to all the fun.

The only complaints I have about my room are: 1) the bathroom was small and it was difficult to shower without hitting your elbows on the walls repeatedly and 2) you could hear every noise in the courtyard. Late Friday night/Saturday morning (Feb 24/25), while we were trying to sleep, some loud, drunk people were talking to someone on the cell phone with the SPEAKER TURNED ON. If you are reading this review, please tell the person on the other end of the phone that we miss her too, as you apparently wanted everyone in the hotel to hear the entire conversation.

The courtyard itself was adorable. My husband and I grabbed a coffee at Community Coffee on the corner, came back and just sat there together for a bit before starting the day. The staff at the hotel was friendly, helping us get a parking space at the sister hotel, suggesting places for breakfast, and always ready to help answer any questions we had.

Our friend posted below about our "encounters" with whatever it was. She did forget to mention the tapping I felt on the mattress next to my head. I asked my husband what he was doing. He said he wasn't doing anything and when he moved his hands, I realized they were on my leg.

I look forward to our next visit and hope to get the chance to stay here again. It's a good price and a great location!!!

Room Tip: I recommend a courtyard room but, because the noise bounces off the walls in there and because you w...
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

After reading reviews listed on this site and others; I was worried. Once we arrived and got to our room I was actually pleasantly surprised! The rooms are small and the bathrooms are smaller and yes, (as stated in another review) the furniture is "dated" BUT this is an old hotel and part of the charm is it's vintage feel. I actually really liked the mismatched antique furniture. It felt less like a hotel and more like staying in someones home. My bed was not "worn-out", the room was clean and all of my staff interactions were pleasant. Parking is a nightmare but that's the neighborhood. The first night we were directed to a parking lot a few blocks away (French Market area) since the lot at their sister property was full but the next morning the desk clerk called over and got us a space for the remainder of the weekend. The biggest perk to the hotel is the location. The hotel is in the perfect spot.Everything you could possibly need is literally within a 3-4 block radius. My only real complaints were the shower (The shower was tiny and the water came out in more of a mist than stream.) and that there wasn't a thermostat in our room (Our room was really warm so we had to close our vents and air it out a bit to cool it). I've read a lot of complaints about noise but I think it's just to be expected. We slept with our windows open and did hear people out on the street coming back from the bars but it wasn't unbearable by any means. Overall I had a really great stay and will definitely stay here again!

Ok now for the fun stuff... On the last morning of our stay my husband got up early and went for a run. After he left I fell back asleep. A short while later I was woken up because I had the feeling that someone got in bed with me. I turned over to ask my husband how his run went but I was alone. After my husband returned we met up with friends who were also staying in the hotel and found out that they had a similar experience. Her husband got up to use the restroom. She felt someone get in her bed but realized it wasn't him when he opened the bathroom door a short while later. So... Is the hotel haunted? I don't know but it's a great vacation story!

Memphis, Tennessee, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We picked this place with another couple to celebrate a birthday and an anniversary based on the quaint description on the website. We should have read some of the reviews here first. We too experienced very poor customer service from the guy checking us in. We asked about the advertised free parking. He said it was a few blocks away but it was already full, so just park in a pay lot he showed us on a map. It was over a half mile away in a questionable area and cost $60/day!
The room had worn-out beds and a bathroom door that would not close all the way. The carpet was very worn and the limited furnishings were dated. We had already decided to go elsewhere for breakfast but noticed that the breakfast consisted of a bag of frozen bagels and a pot of coffee.
This place was a huge disappointment.

Room Tip: Go Elsewhere!
Susanville, Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

This hotel is charming . . . some of the clerks, not so much. Our room was super small and you have to be a giant to reach the thermostat. But it is a good location and the one clerk working 1-30-12 was super helpful and kind.

As for our haunted experience ... you be the judge: We stayed in room 206. Before we fall asleep my sister starts saying provocative things like "the ghost here suck" and we went to bed. About 1:30 in the morning the smoke alarm starts chirping at us . . . like it would if the battery was dying. My sister called the desk down stairs and we simply moved for the night to another room.

In the morning I got up and headed back to the room to shower. As I was walking into the room, the alarm was still chirping. It chirped as I took my shower and while I got ready. The noise finally got on my nerves and I turned to the alarm and said "Okay, you can stop now" and low and behold it stop right then and there. When my sister came in she noticed that the noise was gone. She asked if they changed the battery. I told her "no" but that I told the ghost to stop. She looked at me and asked if I were telling the truth and I said "do you hear the chirping?" That was enough to convince her that maybe it was the ghosts playing their game.

Room Tip: The walls are thin and you can hear everything everyone says and does. Also bring a stool if you wan...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Andrew Jackson Hotel? Share your experiences!