“Probably the best option downtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loews New Orleans Hotel

Save Saved
You added Loews New Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Loews New Orleans Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Poydras St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$25 Food & Bev Credit!
Ranked #33 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Probably the best option downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

Loews is definitely one of the best downtown hotels in New Orleans. The staff is professional, very accommodating and extremely friendly. We used the concierge a few times for help with getting around town and with booking tours. She was great! The rooms are clean, modern and fairly spacious. The only negative about the room was the very small bathroom - perfect for one or two people, but not for a family. Another very minor gripe is that the TV is an old style tube and there are very few channels. Ask for a room facing the river - the views are spectacular!

The location is perfect for New Orleans - just a couple of blocks from the French Quarter, a couple of blocks to the streetcar station and a couple of blocks to the riverfront promenade and aquarium.

741 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I stayed here for a convention I was attending in New Orleans and found the Loews to be a great hotel. The location, while on a somewhat amenity-less block of Poydras in the CBD, was a convenient central point for the convention (at Ernest Morial) and exploring the French Quarter and Garden District in my spare time.

I asked for a room on the upper floors and the very nice receptionist put me on the 21st floor; she also called me when a room was ready far earlier than the 4pm check-in time, so I was able to shower and change before my conference began.

I availed myself of the concierge several times; to book me tables at restaurants nearby, to suggest the best time to visit Commander's Palace for lunch, to help me locate a Kinkos, etc. They were helpful even when I called from the convention center with a question.

Room service was also really quick and extremely friendly. I came home late after a very busy evening attending conference events, and called down for a light sandwich and ginger ale, and the kitchen sent up cookies and milk!

The rooms were incredibly spacious, with plenty of hangers for my wardrobe and great views. My room was efficiently cleaned - I'm a neat traveler so I don't know how the housekeeping would sort through someone's stuff, since I put all my clothes and belongings in drawers - but the room was tidied and vacuumed every day.

Finally, the bartenders at the Swizzle Stick Bar are unbelievably friendly and accommodating, helping me put together tables for an impromptu happy hour of 14 people, and they mix great cocktails! This hotel is perfect for the business traveler who'd like to spend a little more money for real comfort, good service, and the right location.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Stayed at the Loews New Orleans while attending a business conference. The hotel is in a great location - it's an easy walk to the Convention Center, Harrahs and the French Quarter. A few elements caused some concern, though, and prevent me from rating this property any higher than average:

Guest rooms may have been stylish when they were updated in 2005, but my corner king on the 21st floor felt a bit dated (worn and stained carpet and furniture, a bulky television with a giant tube instead of a flat screen, a static-laden phone line and extremely weak WiFi). There was also a persistent sewage odor that eminated from the sink drain in the bathroom (so strong that I had to keep the drain closed and stuff the overflow hole with tissue). It was very hot the week I was in New Orleans, and despite keeping the draperies closed, the air conditioning was unable to cool the room lower than 81.5 degrees Farenheit.

Upon returning from dinner one evening, I discovered that someone had been in my room and left a briefcase with a laptop in it sitting on a chair. I phoned Reception and they sent security staff up in less than 5 minutes - it was determined that a bellman had brought the bag to the room in error, but it was still disconcerting to find a stranger's luggage next to my belongings. When I mentioned the incident to a desk clerk upon check-out, she said "Well, I guess you got a free laptop." Uh, no - I didn't, and what an odd thing to say to a guest! She was equally dispassionate about a comment regarding the sewage smell in the bathroom, and didn't seem to even make a note of it.

The whole place feels like an office building that has been converted into a hotel - perhaps it was - don't care enough to research it. In fact, the swimming pool, fitness center and spa comprise the entire 8th floor and feel out of place. Pool is a small lap variety, but it IS located on a guest floor in the center of the building, so a huge pool would have been out of the question. Had a very nice hot stone massage in the spa, but the spa facilities seem to have been an afterthought, and really are nothing to qualify as luxurious.

The hotel restaurant, Cafe Adelaide, is a member of the Commander's Palace / Brennan family of restaurants and is very good. Dishes, prepared by up-and-coming New Orleans chef Chris Lusk, are playful riffs on traditional Creole and Southern dishes. Lunch cocktails are 25 cents! Recommended!

There were lots of drunken college-age males in the lobby and guest room hallways on Friday and Saturday night - in fact, I saw several clusters of fraternity brothers who all appeared to have whole cases of "lite" beer purchased from local liquor stores. Additionally, lots of guests were off-loading their pick-up trucks in the front of the hotel, handing the bellman ice chests, loose shoes, pillows from home, etc.

Bottom line: a clean and decent hotel, but not in the luxury category.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

We had a family event and selected the Loews over the Ritz, HUGE MISTAKE! We traveled with our dog and since the Loews is known for their dog friendly hotels and the Ritz was so-so on a dog being there, we went with Loews to avoid the stress. I will say that the room was very nice and everyone was nice to the dog. Loved the doggie room service menu. However the first 45 mins and the last 20 mins will forever stay in my mind and we will NEVER stay there again. We waited @10 -15 mins to be greeted by the valet. Then we waited another 10 for them to come back with a cart for the bags. My car was not right in front of the hotel, it was past the driveway they use to enter the parking garage. The valet told me he was right behind me, I went inside to meet my husband in line to check in. I am standing at the window watching and the valet left our bags, which included a laptop, on the streets in New Orleans, to move the car. My husband ran out there to get the cart and the valets response was " its a safe area" You have got to be kidding me! The front desk clerk was not helpful and did not seem to care to help us with this issue. Then the valet would not allow us to push their luggage cart to our room ourselves. This was the same guy who "trusted" our luggage on the street but not us to take it up stairs. We were so mad we carried it all ourselves. THEN when we checked out, a new valet guy let a man coming for lunch park and leave his car in the street and would not move it so I can leave. We were told to back up and go around it! Never Freaking AGAIN! I am waiting to talk to the manager.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Temple, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

From the minute we arrived we were greeted cordially. The valet staff was excellent. The front desk had everything in order. We stayed in a grand king room that had a pull out sofa and a rollaway bed. My husband had a conference, so the 3 teenagers and I hung out to see the sights during the day. Our room was very spacious. We had a great rate of $150 a night. The valet cost of $29, I thought was a bit pricey, but that's what it is in the big cities. The whole week we were there, we never asked for our car. We had a great location. The staff always greeted me by name and were very quick and attentive to our needs. Room service was pricey, but excellent food. The Swizzle Bar was nice with friendly bartenders. The pool was indoors, somewhat small, but it was nice and never crowded. There was also a hot tub and sauna. We did use the workout facilities - great selection there. We stayed at the Marriott on Canal about 6 months ago and this hotel is MUCH nicer, but not as close to Bourbon St. We didn't go to Bourbon St. this time since we had the kids. We were a close walk to the convention center, so the husband walked there instead of taking the bus every day. When we arrived at our room, there was jazz music playing. The cd was ours to keep so this was a nice way to take back a little bit of Louisiana with us. We would definitely stay here again. Oh, and this hotel caters to pets but you would never know that. Everything is so clean, and I never noticed any fuzzy friends.

upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

Stayed here 3 nights for 30th anniversary. Bellhops were great, check-in was swift. Lobby/bar area was clean and attractive. Room was decorated in neutral colors and very clean; no coffee maker but robes, umbrella and hairdryer. Extremely comfortable mattress and pillows. Bathroom was fairly large. Coffee is available at front desk of Cafe Adelaide for a couple of dollars; was free a couple of years ago when I stayed here. Easy walk to Harrah's Casino, Riverwalk, Quarter, WWII museum, beginning of Magazine Street, St. Charles and City Park streetcar lines.
Ate at Cafe Adelaide for breakfast and dinner on previous visit and food and service were excellent.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Panhandle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

A little pricey but you get what you pay for! Everything from the lobby to the HUGE rooms is top notch. The staff is very attentive! We couldn't have asked for better, unless they threw in Saints tickets too ;)

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Loews New Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!