“Great hotel and excellent location... but expensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loews New Orleans Hotel

Save Saved
You added Loews New Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Loews New Orleans Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Poydras St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$25 Food & Bev Credit!
Ranked #40 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oakland, California
“Great hotel and excellent location... but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We just came back from a family trip in Mississippi and stopped in/out at Loew's. The hotel is great and we'd go back. We had a corner suite for 2 adults and 2 children, ages 10 and 6, and an adjoining room for grandma and adult son. The suite is huge, with a grand bathroom. The view of the Mississippi River is excellent. Mother's was right across the street with GREAT breakfasts and other meals (don't be intimidated by the line... it moves pretty quickly). All the staff were courteous and responsive. Just one problem with the housekeeping staff... as with the other Loew's we had stayed at ... didn't take out the garbage one day, didn't replenish towels, etc. For that we got our return night comped by the housekeeping manager. (If I ran the hotel, I'd rather do it right the first time than have to comp guests... they really need to pay attention to housekeeping quality!!!). Other than that, we had a GREAT stay. The restaurant onsite, Adelaide, has awesome food... but way too expensive (meal for 4 adults 2 kids = $300). We didn't like being nickled and dimed for parking and internet. Oh well... not perfect, but great! The kids liked the pool. Skip the massage.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

684 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

I was recently on a business trip to New Orleans, a place that I will be returning to often but only because of business. The Loews hosted our conference, otherwise not a hotel for me. The bellmen trip over you because there are so many of them. But like the wait staff at the bar or hotel eatery, don't ask them to go an extra step for you because they won't.

My wife and I did not eat in the hotel without the conference making arrangements. It just wasn't worth the "attitude" the wait staff gives. The hotel location is ok, easy to get in and out of. There are plenty of city cabs around but they are flithy and damaged like you wouldn't believe. The hotel's location to the Bourbon Street area is a nice 4 to 5 extended blocks but the walk really isn't that bad. The Casino is directly across the street and the beginning of the "river walk" area is just at the end ( you can see it from the hotel lobby).

Frankly the only thing I liked about this hotel was the room. Although when I got to it the "awesome view" the front desk cleark mentioned was really the roof of the building next door. Apparently, she doesn't get out much to know what an "awesome view" is.

I'm sorry, this hotel just isn't worth the effort when there are so many other hotels at or equal to the cost that might be better suited for your stay?

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Powder Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

This was my first visit to this hotel and I love it. I visit New Orleans often to visit extended family and usually stay at the Windsor Court but decided to try Loew's this time. I was very happy with my decision, the hotel is wonderful and my view was unbelievable. I stayed in room 2009 and had an awesome view of the river, from the bend to the bridge, it was fabulous! The room was very large with a great bathroom with separate shower, no complaints at all.
The location is extremely convenient to great restaurants, shopping and the French Quarter.
This will not be last stay!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed here and had a wonderful time. The loews is in a very central location to downtown and the french quarter. The staff were a little bit slow, but we didn't let that bother us. We had lots of room service and the food was fantastic. The bar in the hotel is also great!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Ponchatoula, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

I had the privledge to stay at the Loews this past weekend on a staycation. We were upgraded to one of the largest rooms I had the pleasure to enjoy - the seating area with two queens was perfect for my wife, three kids, and I. Great location for going to the aquarium, bug museum, and getting on the streetcar to go get some beignets. My kids loved the indoor pool. Love the bellstaff, they were very friendly, loved the breakfast buffet - the omelet man was great!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
WorldWideTraveler
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

First off, it was Mardi Gras in the middle of the 3 days I stayed but that should have no bearing on the concerns I have with Loews.
Internet costs $12.95 a day?!? Are you serious?!? This is not an inexpensive hotel and to have a cash grab such this, truly annoying.
More than one other person in the group I was with was improperly billed on the minibar in the room. I took nothing but got a bill which was reversed when I protested. Another money grab?
Finally, the coffee and paper cups for the morning beverage were not replenished once in 3 days. I suppose that being Mardi Gras the real mugs were locked up for safe keeping but they took the used paper cups and left me with nothing! I stayed for another week in New Orleans and was happy to be at another hotel that was infinitely more accomodating with free internet, resupplied amenities and infinitely friendlier service at less than half the cost and only a short distance away.
The lounge and restaurants were overpriced and service was poor, yes I mentioned it was Mardi Gras but people were not even particularly friendly, more exhasperated or annoyed at working and not partying perhaps?
I really have nothing positive to say, I was happy to be out of there.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
FLORIDA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

Stay here only for the location, it has a nice view of New Orleans and isn't far from the French Quarter. Parking is $30 for valet which basically you have to use and you have to unload and load up on busy Poydras street. The staff AREN'T friendly or helpful at all!!! The tub was dirty, and be prepared if you take a shower to have it fluctuate on you. The room is nothing to write home about...it's small and it has no amenities but a single cup coffee or tea maker. We got in late and were tired so we ordered room service...be prepared to spend $$$ for cold food. If you want to spend ALOT of money for BAD SERVICE and NOTHING EXTRA (surprised they don't charge for ice) then this is the place for you.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Been to Loews New Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!