“Very pleasant stay - 3.5 stars!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Loews New Orleans Hotel

You added Loews New Orleans Hotel to your Saves list
Loews New Orleans Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Poydras St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
You are Different Here!
Ranked #27 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
CT
“Very pleasant stay - 3.5 stars!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

My husband and I had a very pleasant stay at the Loews hotel in April 2008. We actually ended up at the Loews due to some unusual circumstances - we were relocated from the Windsor Court due to "special guests" at the Windsor (the President was in town!). Anyway, we were comped a free night at the Loews for the inconvenience, so maybe my review is a little biased(!), but honestly, I think I would have felt the same even if we had paid.

Check-in was easy and the front desk staff was incredibly warm and welcoming (refreshing, citrus-infused water was offered to us while we waited). The lobby is small but hip with a nice sitting area (w/tables and chairs) and I believe there is free wi-fi in the lobby.

Our room was incredibly clean, comfortable and open with abundant sunlight that flooded into the room through the windows. The layout was very conducive to just moving around without feeling cramped or restricted in any way. The bathroom was also well-lit, nicely stocked with plush towels and very spacious.

We did not try any of the hotel restaurants/bars, but Loews is conveniently located across the street from one of the most well-known establishments in New Orleans - Mother's Restaurant - get there early for their fabulous breakfast. Another plus (for us) was being a bit outside of the French Quarter. Nothing is worse than the loud, obnoxious crowds at night, so the Loews was a nice retreat from that. Harrah's Hotel & Casino is also close-by as is Windsor Court Hotel (their afternoon tea is wonderful).

We only stayed one night at Loews, so perhaps we didn't see (negative) things that we might have seen had we stayed longer. But for what it's worth, we had no problems whatsoever and wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Loews again in the future. We also had friendly staff upon our exit to help us hail a cab back to the airport. So overall, a wonderful experience and if I had the option, I would actually give this hotel a 3.5 rating instead of just three.

• Liked — comfortable beds; airy & spacious rooms
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Aggie_Traveller
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

I stayed at this hotel one night over Memorial Day Weekend 2008. I had high hopes based on other reviews but was disappointed in every respect.

1. Valet was terrible. We stood there for about 5 minutes, in blazing heat, and were completely ignored. When I finally got one guy to stop for me we were almost immediately interrupted by another guest who was unhappy so the valet left me standing there to go console the other person. No apology.
2. Both my reservation and my friend's reservation were messed up. We reserved our rooms months apart so it was two separate instances.
3. The person who helped me at the front desk was very curt and unfriendly, and couldn't find my reservation as mentioned. When she did find it she told me, in an accusatory manner, that it was because they were expecting me the day before, and then completely ignored me when I explained that the mistake was on their end because I had cancelled that night a week before.
4. They put my friend immediately into his room while I had to wait for several hours.
5. I was told I would be called on my cell phone when my room was ready, never happened.
6. I was also told that the reason my room was delayed was because it was "upgraded." It was not. It was smaller than my friend's room and had ugly black stains on the carpet.
7. I could hear EVERY WORD from the room next door.

The only nice things I can say are that the bed was comfortable and the concierge the next morning was helpful.

If I had been staying in New Orleans two nights, I would have gone to another hotel. Others in my party stayed at the Windsor Court Hotel just down the street and although I only saw the lobby, it was beautiful and elegant and highly recommended.

This was my first visit to New Orleans and it's sad to me that my first impression was bad service and bad quality. Luckily the city itself was full of character and charm and was worth the visit.

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on May 2008. First off I must say the hotel is beautiful. The lobby is stunning, and the rooms are lovely too. We had a superior room with a river view. Location is also fantastic. Close to almost all the main tourist attractions. Cannot fault any of that at all. What I found somewhat lacking was service. They weren't major issues, but at this price level I expect better. For instance, they provide you with a tea/coffee maker, but that's not much good when the maid forgtets to replenish the creams. We used all our shampoo and the next day it was not replenished. Instead we had two conditioners left for us. (Maybe we just got unlucky with this maid - I don't know) On the Sunday we decided to treat ourseleves to a nice big breakfast in the hotel. We went down at 9:50am. We were told that due to it being Mothers Day they weren't seating for breakfast anymore! On a Sunday! I was furious. Mostly because I would have expected something like that to be communicated to the hotel guests in advance. There was no offer to allow us breakfast in the room instead or anything along those lines. Then on the last day when checking out they tried to bill me $2.92 for something I'd supposedly had from the minibar. I refused to pay it, and they didn't cause a fuss, but it was yet another example of the service not being 100% at this hotel. The other thing I disliked was the pool. It's not a leisure pool. Just for laps, so there was no where to chill out after a hard days sightseeing in the New Orleans heat. I would only recommend this as a business hotel rather than leisure.

• Liked — Spacious, well appointed room
  • Disliked — Service and pool
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Biloxi, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

Excellent service. Beautiful hotel. Large room. Conveniently located to Harrah's, Riverwalk, Children's Museum, Aquarium...

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

I stayed at the Loews with my husband and toddler son for the first time during the first weekend of JazzFest. As a regular to New Orleans and a former resident, I am very familiar with the hotels and what one should expect, even in a post-Katrina world. I was worried about the mixed reviews that I read before I left for the trip, but all my fears were removed as soon as our cab pulled up to the property and we were literally fawned over by the bell staff and the desk staff. One bell person gave my 2 year old son a magna doodle while we checked in. Apparently, they have toys in the back to give out to kids. So, overall, already I could see this would be a very kid-friendly hotel.

Since I am a Loews frequent guest member, I was upgraded to a Deluxe Luxury King on the top floor (21st - room 2119). The bell person let my son ride the luggage cart to the room. My son was happy, so I was happy.

The view from the top floor was great. While not a river view, I'm still from the days when there were few tall buildings that one had access to in NOLA and the view towards the lake and Metairie still fascinates me.

Our room was HUGE and spotless. It was as big as many "suites" these days, the only thing missing was a dividing wall. There were even TWO tvs! Which I thought was a little overkill but in the end it worked out when there was a big thunderstorm one afternoon and we were stuck in the room and my husband wanted to watch something different from what I was watching.

The bathroom - immaculate and well-stocked. One of the best features - there were bath sheets in addition to bath towels! That's a big plus for my husband who is a big guy and usually the bath towels don't fit around him. If I hadn't been travelling with my son, the bath (without shower) being separate from the shower stall might have annoyed me, but it was nice to have a big tub without a shower curtain when it came time to bathe my son. The sheer size of the bathroom was a big plus.

My husband and I agreed that the bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds we've ever slept in.

As I was also in town on business, we had the pleasure of a business dinner in a private room in the hotel's restaurant Cafe Adelaide. I can't say enough about how wonderful the food was and how attentive the staff was. The only annoying aspect was that we had the Turtle Room furthest in back. There's another "library" room in front of our room that was booked the same night, and we had to walk through that room to get to the bathroom.

We also used the Swizzle Stick Bar one day when my son insisted on eating a hamburger but Cafe Adelaide was closed for turnover to dinner. The waiter was more than pleasant to my son and highly attentive.

Overall I have to say I only had amazing encounters with the staff. They were all pleasant, happy, and ready to help in any way possible. The hotel is very close to the French Quarter - it's only about 2 blocks to Canal Street from Poydras.

The only downside was that bell service at the front door was hit or miss. On Saturday morning at 8:30AM, I needed a cab to get to a meeting. It would have been helpful if the bell person was there to whistle for the sleeping driver rather than my having to walk over to the driver and tap on the window. One time we had to open the doors to the hotel ourselves, other times, there were 3 guys running to open the doors for us. I'm not saying I can't open my own door, just consistency is a good characteristic for a hotel.

I highly recommend the Loews. And I'm so pleased with my experience that I've already made reservations for my next trip down in the fall.

• Liked — Friendly staff, kid-friendliness, room size, cleanliness, comfy bed, location
  • Disliked — hit or miss bell service at front door - otherwise nothing else!!
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

Excellent stay. Room quite comfortable, and hotel in a great location for walking.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — non working phone
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2008

I recently won a trip through my company to attend the Jazz Fest in New Orleans and my company paid for the accommodations at Loews Hotel. The staff was friendly and went our of their way to take care of my needs; the hotel was not only spotless, but architecturally fascinating, and the rooms were well appointed. I brought a guest and we stayed in a double queen suite. I loved my view and especially liked the appointments in the bathroom (the lighting was a bit dim ladies, but they provide a two sided mirror for makeup application). If you plan to watch tv, it is a bit small- I didn't spend much time in my room, so that wasn't important to me. I loved that they provided an umbrella since it rained frequently and being from Las Vegas I didn't prepare for the weather. I have travelled through the south before and one of the things I liked most was the hotel had an excellent dehumdifying system- it was clammy outside, but comfortable in the rooms and you couldn't feel the moisture walking through the halls like some other places I have stayed! The hotel itself is located ideally between the warehouse district and the French quarters, so that you can enjoy a quick walk down to Bourbon street. I would highly recommend checking out Preservation Hall, for a great jazz experience (on St. Peters off of Bourbon st). The Hotel has an entire floor dedicated to relaxation and fitness. I didn't use the amenities, but my fellow traveler loved the pool (very large, but not olympic), and the rejuvenation spa; which offers a hang over remedy! I don't know if I could afford a week at Loews on my own budget, but if you are looking for a great place you should stay at Loews!

• Liked — The excellent staff and beautiful architecture!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Loews New Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!