“Great Stay !” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Denver, Colorado
“Great Stay !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed two nights (Wed/Thurs) the week before Mardi Gras. Larry and Brent are very friendly and beyond gracious. The house has been very nicely restored and the ground floor common area really puts you back 100 years where style and gentility reigned in these grand homes. The food was well prepared, tasty, and more than enough to fill you up. The trolley is just steps away and made it easy to get to and from the quarter and the parades. Would highly recommend for anyone who enjoys a turn of the century b&b experience.

Room Tip: They have a back yard sitting area that will be very nice for hanging out as the weather gets a bit...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1896omalleyhouse, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for the review. We really enjoyed visiting with you during your stay. We hope to see you back with us soon.

706 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Wakefield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed here envisioning a different team in the Super Bowl. We decided to make it a mini vacation and what a delight. This off the beaten path B&B is well run, informative, clean and a nice respite from the madness that brought you here in the first place. I am not a breakfast person. but the two or three I encountered were more than satisfactory. An insight to the flavors beyond its walls. It is convenient to public transportation (train, cab, bus). 5 blocks from Rt 10, so you have access to Baton Rouge, Plantations and points south. City has a lot more to offer than Bourbon St.

Room Tip: High ceilings throughout. Specific rooms, I really can not speak to. There was at least one larger r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1896omalleyhouse, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
We are so happy you guys still wanted to come even without your team in the Super Bowl. We can't wait to see you back for Jazz Fest. You guys bundle up for the big snow storm headed your way.
Lee's Summit, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

There is little I can write about the 1896 O’Malley House that has not already been written. My wife and I spent the week of New Years at the B&B and found it to be a wonderful experience. For the first three days Brent made delicious breakfasts that, and I do not mean this as a criticism, would also have made wonderful desserts. After Brent went on vacation Larry took over making breakfast. One morning I, offhandedly, mentioned to Larry that my wife likes toast; the next morning she was served toast. The bed in our room was very comfortable. Also in our room, was a wi-fi connected iPad. Since we do not have smart phones (yes, we are radicals) is was nice to be able to research our days while staying in our jammies. Both Brent and Larry were very helpful in making suggestions as to places to see and, when needed, to make the arrangements for us. The B&B is located a block away from a streetcar stop thus providing easy access to the French Quarter, the Garden District, and other locales. Larry is one of the most personable people I have ever met and, sincerely, a highlight of each day was spending time speaking with him. On a more personal note I would like to let Cody and Porter know how much we enjoyed meeting them and to let Porter know that we think he is a genius and should not listen to what other may say.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1896omalleyhouse, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
You guys were such a delight to have stay with us. I really enjoyed talking with you each day. Your comments about Porter's are proving right. His evil scemes are getting much more sophisticated.
Schroon Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is an elegant, charming B&B that is beautifully decorated and details carefully attended to. Our room was spacious, comfortable and beautifully appointed, the dining room felt opulent without being pretentious. Our host Brent was top-notch, always gracious and helpful, attentive and knowledgeable. Extra touches like the access to wine, soda and snacks in the guest kitchen were great for when some of our party had had enough nightlife and wanted to visit and relax in comfort and quiet. Location wise it was perfect, as most of the places we wanted to go were a short cab ride away or easily accessible via streetcar line. It is a little on the pricier side but you get what you pay for, and this beautiful B&B was worth every cent. Save your pennies so you can stay here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1896omalleyhouse, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. I will let Brent know about your kind words for him. Sorry I missed you and hope to see you back with us on your next stay.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is a fantastic bed and breakfast, and we were made very welcome indeed. Beautifully appointed rooms - we stayed in one with an African theme - and nothing seems too much trouble for the hosts. It was our first stay in NOLA and definitely an experience we will never forget!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed good.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am so happy I was able to meet you on your last night here.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay at this B&B for 3 nights after returning from a 7 day cruise off the Caribbean. This was the first time we've visited NOLA, so we heavily relied on the reviews from TripAdvisor. We are definitely glad we found this B&B! Coming directly off the cruise ship, we checked in really early (around 9:30am), and Larry greeted us so warmly. I was astounded with the house; it is immaculate! The home is cozy and welcoming; as soon as we got to the room, my husband napped on the heavenly bed for 3 hours! (Who takes a nap at 10 in the morning?) Comfort? Check. While he napped, I explored the house and neighborhood. The house is located in the Mid-City district, just off Canal Street, about a 20min ride on the trolley away from the French Quarter. Mid-City is more residential rather than a business/touristy area, so the streets are quiet, and you encounter (and can say, "Hello!") to the locals. I walked around the neighborhood, all the way down to the Masonic Cemetery (my husband's a Mason) and back without any fear that I was in danger. Safety? Check. Back at the B&B, Larry owns two friendly dogs, Cody and Porter. Watch out for Porter! That dog is too smart for it's own good! Larry himself is a wonderful host. His personality is relaxed and funny; we loved chatting with him at the dining table. His breakfasts are delicious! We missed the first morning as we woke up too late, but the following mornings he started us off with a bowl of fruit as a first course, then he cooked and served us the main dish: one morning was an omelet, the next morning (our departure day) was blueberry waffles. I usually can't finish large portions of food, so my husband was more than happy to help me finish what I couldn't eat. Every. Single. Bite. Larry is also really knowledgeable about the city, which educated us and entertained us at the same time. I can endlessly go on about how wonderful our stay was, but I recommend you stay at this B&B and enjoy it yourself. Experiencing Larry's hospitality is definitely above the rest. He's just one laid back dude who can make you feel home away from home. Thank you for making the end of our honeymoon magical.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1896omalleyhouse, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Love the Pics! Thanks so much for visiting us, we reallty enjoyed you guys. Come back soon, there is a lot more to see and do.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I looked online for the best bed and breakfast to stay at and was given this house, so I cashed and made a reservation to check it out. I went to New Orleans and took my girlfriend for 21st birthday :-D and we stayed on a Saturday night... we got there and were absolutely amazed by the place... Larry was so nice, and very helpful. He took us to our room and it has been one of the best Rooms I have ever been in... the pillows were so amazing too I could sleep forever in them lol.. but everything was great, I would stay there again and again... I wish I could live there honestly

• Stayed January 2013
1896omalleyhouse, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
I am very pleased you guys enjoyed yourself, please come back anytime. I will see what we can do about you moving in :)

Been to 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!