“Pretentious B&B in an average neighborhood” 3 of 5 stars

Free Beer and Wine
Ranked #5 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Brussels, Belgium
“Pretentious B&B in an average neighborhood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We reserved this B&B because it was in a list as the best B&B in N.O. I've to say that the place was nice, the room was clean and cosy and the living room was comfortable. You have a streetcar stop that takes you to the French Quarter literally in front of the B&B, and some restaurants and shops at walking distance.

There were however two major flaws:

- Everything, starting by the owner's attitude, was very pretentious. The furniture and decor was as if the interior designer was a rich old lady. It could be that we were a young couple and this kind of decadence is targeted to old couples, I don't know. There were plastic cups pretending to be glass in the breakfast table. Breakfast itself was not very impressive, althought the owner was selling it as it was heaven on earth. In general, I perceived the attitude from the owners that they were always right, not very helpful in dealing with little problems or inconveniences that may arise and that we were lucky to be in their place (when it's actually the opposite, they are the ones making money with our stay) I had the feeling the owners way of making you feel good was repeating to you 100 times how good they were, instead of doing something about it.

- Neighborhood: average neighborhood with no charm. Kind of close to bad areas, so you couldn't walk to French Quarter even if it was just 30 mins walk.

Imho, not a really bad place to be, but not fantastic either. I would go to a nicer neighborhood next time in NO

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I regret this guest did not enjoy their experience at our B&B. We work very hard to give everyone the best experience we can offer. We cater to a very diverse clientele and try to offer something for everyone. The one thing we have never been accused of is being pretentious. This is an upscale property and it decorated accordingly. We have gone to great lengths to have the latest technology available for our younger guests such as flat screen TVs, iPads, and wireless to make them feel more at home. I think most of the time we hit our mark.

696 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My sister and I really liked this place. The host was lovely. The house was absolutely gorgeous. There was a nice back patio that had just been done. It's actually quite perfect as a place to stay if you're looking for romance.

We stayed in the Cooney Suite. It was beautiful. The rooms are non-smoking but unfortunately the corridor that led up to our room often smelled of smoke. Someone was definitely smoking nearby but it wasn't from one of the rooms. Maybe it was a designated smoking room for the host only?

Breakfast is served in a communal dining room. The dining room is very elegant and the dishes have O'Malley House branding. Unfortunately, the two nights we stayed, breakfast the following morning was similar. Every breakfast follows the same format of fruit, pastries/breads, and a main dish. Both main dishes were egg- and flour-based dishes (quiche, something else with a fancy name). It was heavy, carby and salty. Fruit was already prepared and kept in bowls, which was the reason as to why the host made no accommodations for substitutions, i.e. lots of green mellon/honeydew and even though I hate honeydew, he wouldn't replace it with other fruits. Breakfast was not the highlight. I would've preferred something like eggs benedict, or at least something different that wasn't egg- and flour-based both mornings.

One of the great features of this place was the free alcohol. There is a guest area with a fridge where you can get wine, beer (Bud Light when we were there) and tea anytime. Coffee was made periodically and was available, especially earlier in the day. The water cooler was one of my favourite things. Spring water available in room temperature, cold and hot (for making tea). Definitely something fancy that went above and beyond my expectations.

It was cute how there was a family of doves living on the porch. We learned a bit about how they come back every year. I got really close to them. I've never seen baby and adult doves so close up before. It was a neat bird-watching experience for the very inexperienced "bird-watcher."

This place is great. The house has character and is very well maintained. The food was unfortunately unimpressive the 2 mornings we were there. Everything else, on the other hand, picks up the slack for the food and O'Malley House still left a great impression. It was very homey and comfortable. I really loved everything about this place except the breakfast. I would definitely recommend this place and would probably stay again if I were to ever visit New Orleans again, in hopes of not getting the same breakfast.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs you may want to clarify which floor your room is on because there are l...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you so much for the review. We hope to see you back in NOLA soon! I will have the manager change up the menu for breakfast.
Ft Worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Overall my daughter and I really enjoyed our stay at O' Malley House, friendly helpful staff, generous breakfast, very convenient location (across the street to catch the canal st trolley to the quarter etc.) I usually stay at B&Bs when I travel with my daughter, and agreed this was one of the better ones we have stayed at. We would stay at OMH again, and definately recommend it to a friend!!

Room Tip: My only peeve were the guests in the room adjoining ours. Every cough, snort, conversation, and doo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Thank you for your review. We hope to see you again in the future.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Wife and I just needed to get away for a weekend. Based on research we choose the 1896 O'Malley House. We had a great weekend! Location is around corner from Canal Streetcar with easy access to downtown NO. We felt comfortable, relaxed and very welcomed at this B&B. From breakfast until late night, everything was great. House is beautiful. Walked to Mandina's Italian Restaurant first night we arrived- had delicious veal parmesan meal (1 meal large enough for two). The O'Malley staff made some super recommendation and Larry Watts was fun owner/host. We drove and never had any parking issues. Best comment we can make - can't wait to return to this B&B and spend more time seeing NO. Met another couple who have been visiting this B&B over the past 7 years, which says alot in itself.
Bert & Sue Noggle - June 28 - 30, 2012

Room Tip: We slept well in room #8. They have added an IPAD to help with NO information in each room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. It was very nice meeting you guys this past weekend. I am so happy you have rediscoverd New Orleans and hope you visit us often.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I've been back from my holiday for a few weeks now, and life tends to get back into the mundane routine, so it's time to reflect on some of the highlights. Once again I visited New Orleans and stayed at the wonderful O'Malley House. I made my decision to go to Jazzfest a little late this year so I was only able to stay at O'Malley House before the festivial began, then I moved to a hotel.
This made me even more certain of why I love O'Malley so much.

This time round I was travelling with friends and we shared rooms. It was just so great to have a comfortable space to rest in, but also to have the sitting room, the new (since my last visit) courtyard and of course the swing on the front porch, so we all had plenty of space. Breakfast was as delicious as ever, the blueberry waffles and the pain perdu were great hits with my friends. Jason and Jeff were absolutely wonderful, and kept the place running so smoothly when Larry and those fabulous furry friends were out of town. I even got some tips on cooking a roux, and got to sample their wonderful chicken stew.

Then we had to move to the heart of French Quarter, to an ordinary old hotel. When it rained, there was nowhere to go but the tiny lobby, not very relaxing. The hotel service was adequate in hotel terms, but made me realise just how spoiled I am when I stay at O'Malley House. Yeah the Quarter is exciting, but O'Malley has more than enough excitement for me, and is just so damn relaxing.

So for me O'Malley House is synonymous with New Orleans, an easy gateway to all the joys that wonderful city has to offer. I feel like I am returning to visit old friends.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, just choose your favourite from the website
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dearest Margaret, We miss you so much and can't wait until your next visit. In the mean time we have named one of the chickens after you, so that will have to tide us over until we see you again.
Neptune Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I am not much of one for writing reviews about places I stay, food that I eat, or items that I buy. I do feel that I have to make an exception in this case.

Recently, We stayed the 1896 O'Malley House Bed and -Breakfast in New Orleans, Louisiana. We were there for four delightful evenings in mid- June. Between my father my mother my sister and myself, we shared two rooms. The rooms decorated as a charming slice from New Orleans past, combined with the most modern amenities, such as an iPad in every room.

We stayed at this exact same place two years ago when it turned out to be ideal for our uses. O'Mally is centrally located in such a way that the French Quarter is easily accessible, as is the Uptown. Furthermore, it is an easy location for people living around New Orleans to get to. Much easier than to ask them to drive into the Quarter and try to find a place to park. As a result, this location was worked out very well for our large extended family to get together and we had a wonderful time visiting with them.

My parents are Octogenarians. Travel is not as easy for them as it once was. The 1896 O'Malley House setting, its owners, their assistance and grace, made this excursion possible. A large New Orleans hotel would have been out of the question. This setting, on the other hand, was a pleasure.

Our hosts could not have been nicer and more helpful. They allowed us to use their parlor room to entertain my mother's extended family. The O'Malley House was ideal for all our needs. In fact, everything about the place worked out ideally.

After our visit there two years ago, we had very high expectations. Quite simply, Larry and his staff exceeded them. I could go on, but the point is, I cannot say enough regarding how well they treat their guests.

One additional note, I would be remiss if I did not point out that their breakfast is a full-blown affair --- not just some roll with a cup of coffee. It was always delicious. They have a small garden behind the place that they use to many of their dishes. At the moment there in the process of putting together a chicken coop. Fresh eggs for breakfast would certainly be their coup de grace.

Perhaps the best thing that I can say is I would use them in the future for another stay in New Orleans. They have continued the tradition of excellence. They take it seriouusly. I would encourage you to consider this option even if you have never been one to stay at B&Bs. Though, this experience will spoil you for future ones.

Room Tip: Every room has a unique personality. For a place that is so convieniently located to everything, th...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
It was very nice having your family stay with us again this year. We are honored to be a part of your families New Orleans tradition.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

On a recent business trip to New Orleans, my wife and I arrived a couple days early and We decided to stay in a B&B instead of going directly to the hotel in town. I originally decided on the O'Malley House because of the rooms, but everything about the O'Malley House is a five. The house is beautiful and comfortable and even though it was full of old world charm, it still offered all the "new age" amenities like an iPad in every room.

Larry is a great host and what could be better than to be greeted at the front door by two great golden retrievers!

Room Tip: Just check out the website. they are all nice
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
We really enjoyed your visit to the B&B. I am so happy to took the extra days to see the city and experience Mid-City. Hope you guys had a chance to see City Park. Porter and Cody miss you guys. Hope to see you back in NOLA soon.

Been to 1896 O'Malley House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!