“Friendly, comfortable, enjoyable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elysian Fields Inn

You added Elysian Fields Inn to your Saves list
Elysian Fields Inn
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   930 Elysian Fields Avenue, Between North Rampart and Burgundy, New Orleans, LA 70117 (Faubourg Marigny & Bywater)   |
Ranked #17 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Friendly, comfortable, enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Elysian Fields helped make a few extra days in New Orleans a very enjoyable experience. We stayed here after a cruise to the Caribbean and were impressed by the sizable rooms, the amenities, the great breakfasts, and in particular by the friendly and helpful hosts. They arranged two tours for us in advance which were also excellent. The location is good; a few blocks from the French Quarter, which was good exercise for us. We would be delighted to stay here again some time.
About the only issue was the many stairs, a problem after two hip operations and being 71 years old. The front of the house has a lot of steps to get inside, and then the rooms on the second floor were accessible only by a very high staircase with a handrail hard to hold in places. Other than that, we loved Elysian Fields Inn and highly recommend it!

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw are good. First floor may be easier for someone not able to climb stairs easil...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Weesp
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Room 102 is in the front of the building - there is a window over the door which is not completely covered and the bright light from the 'all night hall light' comes through - there are two very large windows on the front wall (wooden covered) and two large windows on the side - a bit chilly. On my second night of my three night stay the heating in my room went completely off. I spent the rest of my trip with a terrible cold. This is definitely a Summer Room. There was the noise from people coming through the front door - the chill from the windows - the light coming in over the door - and the faulty heating system for this room that lead to a big disappointment! I was told that there are three heating systems and just mine went off????
The only bright side was Jim's Fab breakfasts!!!! (which I have to add was accompanied by Leigh standing and reading the news from the morning paper to anyone who would listen. Like having a TV that you can't turn off. This place is not on my list of recommendation to anyone.

Room Tip: a back upstairs rooms and ear plugs.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Stefnell
innkeeperNewOrleans, Owner at Elysian Fields Inn, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
I am so very sorry that this guest had such an unpleasant stay with us. She is absolutely correct...we did have one of our three zoned heating systems go on the blink the second night she was here. We did not know until that morning that that system had failed. If our guest had alerted us during the night we would have brought a space heater to her. The bed does have two sheets with a blanket in between and a heavy comforter and the bathroom has a fan/heater that could have been turned on to take the chill off the room. I offered the space heater that morning so that she could shower in warmth but she refused my offer as she was leaving for an appointment. The repairman came just a short time later and replaced a "flow switch" and the heat was fixed that day.

The ceilings in room 102 are 17 feet high, the door has a glass transom which has a velvet curtain over it; some light from the hall does filter around the curtain. There is a chandelier in the hall right outside 102 but we do turn it off about 10pm each night so it could not be shining in the room after 10pm. And, I would like to add that the windows on the front of the house are not covered in wood. They are floor to almost ceiling height and the beautiful wooden shutters on the front of the house are kept closed unless a guest requests we open them.

Room 102 is by the front door and is our least expensive room. I've had guests stay in that room that told me they were light sleepers and that they were amazed at how quite it was.

As far as my reading the paper out loud...this guest had been so warm and personal; telling me so very much about her private life I guess I thought she was interested in what was happening in our city and our lives. I would have been happy not to have interacted with her but felt she wanted/needed companionship.
Land O Lakes, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Inn for our honeymoon, and I was super impressed. From the price/location to the friendly service from Jim and Leigh, this place is awesome. I really feel like the Inn made this trip memorable! Would recommend for those who love bed and breakfasts.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Elysian Fields met my expectations and is good location near French Quarter. You are only a few blocks walk to Frenchman St and Royal St where the main attractions are. Its a good deal to stay just a few blocks away from the quarter. Its worth saving a few dollars if you don't mind walking. My girlfriend and I felt comfortable walking from the French Quarter to the inn at night however be careful just a few blocks the other way it gets a little sketchy. The one night we decide to walk the way google maps wanted us to take to get to the super dome and it took us away from most of the crowds. Stick to Decatur/Frenchman when walking back and you'll be fine.

The room was good size, new and clean. However, the only exception was the doors. Our bathroom door had trouble closing because the door had become warped from the humidity.

Breakfast is served from 8am-10am and the meals where good. Met expectations. We had pancakes the first day and a casserole the second.

Parking is on street and can be tricky however there is a furniture store around the corner you can park in their lot when they are close. Which we did the first night and the second day there was plenty of street parking.

Hope this helps. Enjoyed the stay.

Room Tip: Second floor is more private than first floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rich G
West Bloomfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

My 2 daughters and I stayed in the suite (rm 101). The room was great, good breakfast, great location. Leigh was very helpful with info about NOLA & getting around. Would highly recommend and would stay here again. Was nice sitting on the porch chatting with other people staying here.

Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at Elysian Fields Inn. We stayed for some time, and noticed that some of their guests come back year after year. Leigh and Jim, the owners and operators, take care of their visitors with delicious home-cooked breakfasts and good advice on where to go and what to do. They have lived on the premises for many years and their local knowledge is priceless. The Inn is spotlessly clean and charmingly decorated. The location is excellent, too, very close to Frenchman Street and easy safe walking throughout the French Quarter and Marigny. There is a nice front porch where you can sit outside and watch the world go by on Elysian Fields.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fly Creek, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This Inn (B & B) is the best bargain in New Orleans. The Inn is immaculately clean. The innkeepers, Leigh & Jim, are the friendliest folks we've met at a B & B. They truly know all about 'southern hospitality'. The breakfasts were excellent. The room was comfortable and the bathroom clean and perfect. The charm of this inn is just what we wanted for a New Orleans experience. It is located just two or three blocks from Frenchman Street where all the jazz music and fun places to eat and enjoy an evening out can be had. Great place! We will return on our next trip to New Orleans. (This was our first trip. It is a vibrant and fun city!)

Room Tip: We had a room on the first level. It saved us from walking up the stairs. It was quiet and comfort...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple