“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elysian Fields Inn

Save Saved
You added Elysian Fields Inn to your Saves list
Elysian Fields Inn
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   930 Elysian Fields Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70117 (Bywater)   |
Ranked #28 of 146 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Texas
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

What a wonderful, relaxing experience! Easy to park, safe environment! Short walk to great food, shopping, and cold beverage of choice. Lovely home, nice breakfast and porches are great! True Southern Hospitality from beginning to end!

Room Tip: Private bath is great.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

279 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bel Air
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

1)Hosts needing an attitude adjustment. The place had one other room rented during my stay. As soon as I arrived and was shown my room, I asked to stay in another room due to heavy vehicle traffic noise. The attitude was peeved and they made excuses. 2) Hosts recommended several area restaurants. I ate at one of them and when asked by them how I liked it, I told them my bad experience. They seemed personally offended and put off, although I assured them it was not their fault. 3) On day of departure and making several trips to pack my vehicle, on my last load to the car I forgot the keys to get into the front gate. I rang the bell and their dog barked for a half an hour. My purse was still in the room so I could not phone. I sat outside waiting for someone to hear either their doorbell or their dog barking up a storm, when eventually they did. The room I got was nice, the place was quiet and the breakfasts were very good. Attitudes and personable service, needs adjustment.

Room Tip: If noise is a problem, don't stay in a room facing the street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
innkeeperNewOrleans, Owner at Elysian Fields Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I am sorry that Diane M. had a bad experience last July at the Inn...Hospitality is my business and my vocation; any time a guest is not happy I have not done my best work. But at least she found our room quite and nice and the breakfasts good!

Since it has been 11 months since her stay I honestly don't remember her visit and can not find any guests listed from Puerta Vallarta Mexico. I don't remember any one being locked out of the Inn when they were leaving. We do not have a "doorbell" but when you ring the button at the gate it rings our phone and we can talk to you via intercom and if Zeke the dog barks we are running to find him as he does not bark much and it is usually an indicator that something is wrong. Jim and I are not here all the time as we do have errands to run so maybe we had left the Inn and were not available to open the door. I apologize for the inconvenience that it must have caused to be locked out as you were trying to pack your car to depart.

When I give a recommendation to a guest and they are not happy with their experience I apologize. I don't take it to heart as everyone has different taste and even I can have an off night at my favorite places. If a guest does have a bad experience it means it is probably time for me to revisit that venue and make sure it was just an off night and not something more.

I try to move guests if they request another room, sometimes I can, other times due to many reasons it is not possible. I am very happy in this case her worry of traffic noise was unfounded.

A guest's comfort is very important to me, it's my business!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this lovely B&B. It's located just a couple blocks from Frenchman st and only a 10 min walk to Jackson Sqaure in the middle of the French quarter. When arrived Jim greeted us at the gate, unfortunately there wasn't any room in the garage to park as guests who arrived before us got the space, so we parked right outside the inn and it remained perfectly safe the entire weekend. No scratches, or problems at all, he was very informative and helpful about the must see and dos in Nola and even provided a map! We paid for our stay and went straight to our room, which was located upstairs in #203 just at the top. It is a 1 1/2 flight stairway so if you have knee problems it may not be wise, however an elevator is available upon request! Our room was smaller than expected, but not disappointing, just enough space especially if you don't have plans on staying in majority of the time! There was a huge jet spa bathtub which was very relaxing! Room, bathroom, sheets very very clean and tidy! You are even provided water and glasses. I love the Aveda toiletries and make up remover that was provided in the bathroom! Very helpful for those late nights coming back and not wanting to wash your make up off! Jim and Leigh his wife stayed out of sight majority of the time never intrusive or bothersome. It was like you had this house all to yourself. Ice machine, fridge, microwave, available all hours also free wi-fi or computer downstairs for your use. There are lots of movies and books to watch in your room if you wish for rainy days. There are also an abundance of tour pamphlets which was great. We didn't meet Leigh until breakfast and every day was a new hot breakfast on the menu or cold if you preferred. Fresh coffee brewed every day, orange juice and pastries available as well. Leigh was very friendly and such a delight to conversate with, as Jim was a bit more reserved but always helpful! They have a very sweet big dog named Zeke who never bothered any one but stayed just relaxing, while their newest rescue Louie was a happy zellest pup learning the ropes. Both dogs never tried to bark or attack you for attention, obviously Jim and Leigh train very well. It was sad to leave our lil home away from home and we look forward to returning very soon! Thank you Jim and Leigh for a wonderful stay and experience of a real b&b!

• Stayed April 2013
innkeeperNewOrleans, Owner at Elysian Fields Inn, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review...if we could review our guests you would get 5 stars! I do want to make one small correction to your review. The elevator does not go to the the second floor of the Inn, unfortuately it only goes from the ground floor to the first floor. We love our 15 to 17 foot ceilings on the first floor but there is a price...those 24 steps to second floor!
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was like staying at home. But better. I didn't have to make the bed or cook breakfast. Breakfast was great by the way. Hosts are great.
Walking distance to everything. Very convenient. Will be staying here again next time we come.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cherry Hill, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were so glad we stayed at Elysian Fields. After reading reviews I knew it would be helpful to get a pulse on where we could see great Jazz. The inn offered everything we needed and the house was beautiful and very well tended to. As my son said when leaving, a hotel is a place to stay, the B and B is more like a vacation! Thank you Jim and Leigh and good luck with little Louie.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Warren, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

great time best time was at breakfast talk ti interesting people, the host had much information about new orleans and it culture i have been to this breakfas for about 4 years and have had great servic all the time

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

On our first, and definitely not our last, trip to New Orleans, we could not have found a better place to stay. Elysian Fields is perfectly located just a short walk from the French Quarter, but away from all the associated nighttime noise. The hosts, Leigh and Jim, went out of their way to ensure our stay was a good one. They were full of great tips for restaurants, music, and other sightseeing. The rooms were clean, quiet, and well appointed, and breakfast was superb (and different) each of our six mornings. One of the best fixtures of the inn is Zeke, Jim and Leigh's large, yellow, gentle dog. Zeke epitomizes the easy-going nature of N'awlins! We highly recommend a stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Elysian Fields Inn? Share your experiences!