“Salute the Top Dog on National Hot Dog Day” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dat Dog

Dat Dog
5030 Freret Street and 601 Frenchmen Street, and 3336 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA
+1 504-899-6883
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #96 of 1,630 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Fast Food, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: Dat Dog now has 3 iconic stores in New Orleans. Gourmet hot dogs from around the world with personalized toppings, fries to die for. We pride ourselves on our warm welcome and family friendly atmosphere.5030 Freret Street LA70115Our converted 1930 gas station provides 200+ outside seating, 60 inside. Party bookings welcome- all sizes.Great music, live local bands. Movie nights and projector game nights.Our popular quiz night is on Tuesday evenings- 7pm start.Buskers welcome. 3336 Magazine Street LA70115Previously a bakery, now a spacious eating venue on this great shopping street. 160+ Outside seating, 70 inside. Party bookings welcome- all sizes. Private room hire- 20+ seating.Great music. Buskers welcome. Full bar facilities, onsite ATM. Take away service is provided- but first we recommend a visit to take in this highly popular
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Salute the Top Dog on National Hot Dog Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

New Orleans arguably offers one the best food cultures in the states. There are literally hundreds of first class establishments in this small city. And by first class, I’m not talking fancy service, or Baccarat crystal. I’m pointing to the great food itself.

So with all of those great choices, where did I go for a night out on the town? Dat Dog on Magazine Street; Yup, Dat Dog. On National Hot Dog Day. I heard it on the news earlier in the day and I knew I had to make a pilgrimage to Dat Dog, a spacious and fun place on Magazine Street near Louisiana Avenue. There’s a great outdoor bar and lots of seating, and inside there’s a long bar, TVs and flags from around the world, probably representing all the places the dogs being served originated.

I ordered a beef wiener with chili, yellow mustard and onions. Simple, straight-forward and loaded for bear. I ordered two, but should have stopped at one. The wiener had a nice snap when I bit into it, and was nicely spiced, complimenting the chili very nicely.

You can tell a lot by the chili a restaurant serves. I couldn’t tell if it came from a can or not. That’s a good sign. If it was from a can, I couldn’t tell. That’s enough for me when you’re paying $6.95 for a hot dog. My only complaint, and its not really a complaint, is that the buns are a bit heavy.

To me, the dogs are good, but the Fries are to die for. While the Chili Cheese fries are good, the Cheddar Bacon Ranch Fries are the pinnacle of their fries. The cheese is fully melted, not greasy telling me they took the time to get the cheese right. The bacon bits were perfect; crisp and very “baconey.” The crowning point on this concoction is the ranch sauce. It really lightens up an obviously heavy dish.

Oh, and the beer I had; absolutely cold and satisfying.

All in all, it was a great meal and a wonderful way to salute National Hot Dog Day.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New Orleans, Louisiana
“What an awesome hot dog and place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This was my first time here and I have to say I totally enjoyed it, I had a crawfish hotdog with numerous toppings and it was awesome. I can't wait to come back. They have sitting indoors and outdoors i sat on the balcony and enjoyed my hot dog watching people walking up and down Frenchman's Street and I must say I love this idea. My hot dog was about $8 and it was satisfying I enjoyed it I will be back. I will go out of my way to come back.

Summerville, South Carolina, United States
“Shut up and take my money!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Best dawgs ever. Period. The contest is over. This is comparing these dawgs to ones seen on Diners Drive-ins and Dives. To quote my wife. "Quit rating and eat!"

SERIOUSLY GET DOWN HERE AND EAT!

Great service, great beer, great music!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Covington, Louisiana
“Dat Dog - NOLA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Who would have thought that a simple hot dog could explode onto the restaurant scene...but Dat Dog has done just that. From a simple beef frank to a fully loaded andouille sausage crawfish dog, they have it all. german, polish, american, cheese, chili, and 30+ other fixings, you can build a dog to your desire. grilled while you wait, and served on a wonderful homemade bun that is also toasted to perfection. add a side order of fries (big enought to serve 2), and wash it down with a Barq's root beer or an assortment of cold beers. definitely worth the short wait you may encounter if you come at peak times.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Less Daqu, More Dog”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

You might have a problem paying $7 for a hot dog, but what if I told you it was a sausage made out of Duck or Crawfish? Exactly, the high price anxiety fades and the curiosity of trying a gourmet dog takes over. The dogs are all there cracked up to be at Dat Dog, and is a full meal even if you order it without the bun, Gluten-Free style. The fries are delicious and are a must, for example, the crawfish etoufee fries. The service was extra-friendly and our food took about 10 minutes. The only thing I would advise staying away from are the Daiquiris. I even asked the server what he thought of them and he said he didn't like them either.

There are alot of places to eat along Frenchmen Street, and Dat Dog definitely makes the cut. Enjoy!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere