“Still walking distance...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel

You added Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Tchoupitoulas St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Still walking distance...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The hotel was great. The staff was nice even though it was a very busy weekend (Essence Festival). If you're going to the Convention Center this is a very convenient location. The walk to the French Quarter is about one mile. I didn't like the walk, but I did appreciate the silence at night. I was able to sleep without hearing the police sirens from Canal Street. My only complaint would be having to pay for internet access in my room. Also, my phone did not get great reception in the room. The valet was expensive so it would be great if you can find cheaper parking.

Room Tip: Book through the Marriott site. I didn't know that they will bump your room request if you used...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is in the "arts district" -- an upscale warehouse district
which is a few blocks west of the French quarter. This means it's a lot quieter than the center of the tourist districts, and I imagine it's a better
value than a hotel or inn there. There was no problem walking to the quarter at any
hour, and the hotel is also convenient to the St. Charles street car that takes you to the Garden district. I guess there are also some drawbacks to the location:
the neighborhood seemed to me (not a N.O expert) more generic
and less new-orleans-y, and it is not convenient for getting to areas on the opposite side of the quarter (frenchmen's street, etc.) -- but of course, you can't have it all.

Inside the hotel is arty -- with colorful murals, lots of funky furniture, and it's own art gallery.
The rooms were big and bright as well, and very comfortable -- the bed in particular was wonderful. There is a
fitness center upstairs and also a rooftop pool and jacuzzi.
The pool is small for a hotel this size -- it fits about one family, but the fitness center
is about right.

There is a restaurant downstairs that I did not try -- it looked quite fancy, and there was nothing
more down-market as an alternative. There were a lot of standard hotel conveniences, including a kiosk for internet use/boarding pass print out, which I appreciate a lot.

Service at the desk was extremely helpful, particularly with respect to tourist/travel advice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel was great. We really enjoyed the VERY helpful and friendly staff. The location was great. In fact, the location was amazing. Everyone hears about bourbon street but the warehouse and garden districts, in my opinion, give you a much greater sense of the personality and vibe of the New Orleans. This hotel was walking distance from a number of galleries and off-the-beaten-path spots that show off NOLA's heart and soul.

My wife and I were impressed with the room. The pool was small but it cut the heat wonderfully.

You're walking distance from a number of good eat spots and galleries and the street car will take you to a number of great spots not in the French Quarter.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I spent 2 days with my family here. The hotel is just a few blocks from the French Quarter and from the Casino. It is really beautiful both outdoors (New Orleans Warehouse style) and indoors (city style décor). The rooms are clean and comfy, with a standard view of the street (nothing our of ordinary). The executive is too small for Marriott standards, but the food, drinks (non alcoholic - there is no free bar here) and breakfast (American style: not please Europeans, Asians and Latin Americans) served were decent.

The buffet breakfast on the first floor was OK, with some regional dishes.

The big problem with this hotel is the customer service. In general it seems cold, blasé and uncaring, borderline lazy. Sometimes even clueless: twice I have my room "invaded" by staff (a guy and a maid) without bothering to knock on my door. And I have my wife and two teenager daughters with me... One night I arrived around midnight and there is no one on the front desk. I tried the bell several times but nobody came. Unbelievable for Marriot standards.

The general manager listened to my complaints attentively and looked real concern and solve the problems. He compensate me with a generous amount of points (I am a Marriot Platinum) for my troubles and apologized.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Renaissance Arts Hotel is a nice hotel located in the central business district, a few blocks away from the French Quarter. I was not interested in staying right in the French Quarter, and preferred the quiet of staying here. It is on a nice street with some excellent restaurants within walking distance - Cochon, A Mano - and some good bars - Barcadia, W.I.N.O. As is typical for a Marriott and other nice hotels, they charge $12.95 for internet which I find outrageous. But that is expected. The service was excellent. When I wanted to mail an item, the front desk found me a box and tape so I could package it up. All in all, a good experience and a good value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This hotel was modern, clean, comfortable. The pool on the roof was fantastic. The service was good. The breakfast in the restaurant was a little expensive but the quality was OK. It was near the convention center, and I felt safe to walk there during daylight.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jackson, Mississippi, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I was very excited to spend a night at this hotel. All of the beautiful photos of the art in the lobby and in the surrounding areas of the hotel, were really what was drawing me to stay here.
First impression, the bellmen were quite friendly and were eager to serve the customers.
When I stepped into the hotel I did feel as if though I Had entered an art gallery. The lobby was quite beautiful. However, the Receptionist that greeted me did not acknowledge that I was a Marriott Member and was very short in conversation. The room was clean but average. The housekeepers were very friendly just as the bellman. But overall I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel? Share your experiences!