“A Beauty Within” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel

You added Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Tchoupitoulas St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
USA
“A Beauty Within”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

The Renaissance Arts Hotel is one of those rare gems I look for whenever I travel. The hotel’s tastefully appointed rooms are complimented by a feast for the eyes lobby which is liberally decorated with static and kinetic sculptures, photo prints and one of a kind art everywhere you look. The whole effect is that the Renaissance paints an ambiance that provides for large assemblies, but still offers quiet nooks to sit for more intimate moments.
The rooms are fully equipped with quality boutique shampoos, conditioners, creams & gels. Unfortunately, they provide the single cup coffee brewers (not big enough for me) but thankfully, they do have great coffee. The Renaissance is after all, a Marriott property, and I can never say anything bad about the beds in those hotels. I’m asleep 30 seconds after hitting one of those super-plush pillows. My biggest kudo goes to Manager Frank Zumbo’s upgrade of the hotel internet system. I don’t know what they’re running for hardware, but I wish I had it at my office. Their internet is blazing fast, enabling me to video conference from my room without any of the usual connection speed problems. The room also has a 32” flat screen TV (great reception) and an alarm clock that doesn’t take a PHD to program.
The hotel offers valet parking (exclusively) which is comparable to most of New Orleans’ better hotels. I was greeted by a very professional team of parking valets headed up by Kenny. These gentlemen truly respect the fact that they are the customer’s first contact with the hotel and make sure that it is a positive experience making me feel very welcome here.
While there are probably several bellmen, the luck of the draw gave me Corey (and later Ronald) both of whom are at the top of their game. It’s a delicate balance to keep with long term guests such as myself. As a guest, you want a level of respect and courtesy, but you also want warmth and a sense of being part of the hotel “family”. Both Corey and Ronald skate along that fine line with remarkable skill.
As a frequent traveler, I sometimes encounter the inevitable trainee behind the front desk. Not so at the Renaissance. Everyone I’ve dealt with greets me by name and each has been able to promptly address whatever question I put forth… (sigh) very nice! The folks that stand behind that desk are amazing. If you’re lucky enough to be served by Dominique, or Sybil, Sidra, Thereza, or Britannee, you’ll know what I mean. But really, literally everyone behind that desk is worth their weight in gold.
The fifth floor houses the hotel pool and exercise area, with the Marriot Rewards Member Lounge on the 4th. The lounge is very comfortable, well attended, and offers a quick breakfast and light dinner/desserts Sunday nights through Friday mornings. During the off-hours, or for more robust dining, I heartily recommend the Rene Bistrot’ restaurant which also provides room service. Try the oysters, they offer a unique and varied selection. I must admit, while they have a very enticing dinner menu, my favorites are their breakfasts. Give me their Lox & Cream Cheese on a bagel (although they don’t refer to it that way) or their buffet which includes these absolutely fantastic sausages and Papa Tom’s Stone Ground Corn Grits. I know, there are many people who say they absolutely hate grits. (But they haven’t tried these! They are marvelous!) Even if you order the buffet, the wait staff will always offer to have the chef cook up something fresh and I’d suggest you let him do so. Great omelets! Oh, and I really should mention, they have a great bar, too.
The Renaissance is conveniently located in the Warehouse District, just a couple of blocks from downtown New Orleans and all the action there. It’s close enough to walk, or as I prefer, take a pedi-cab over to Harrah’s, Jackson Square, or Riverwalk. But far enough off the beaten path that you aren’t kept awake all night by sirens and such which are so typical of NOLA nightlife. For a little informal variety, I’d recommend Lucy’s which is just across the street from the hotel. (Great food and Ice-cold beer!) But really, it’s NEW ORLEANS! I’ve been in and out of here for the last 5 years and I still haven’t sampled all the great food that’s here!

Room Tip: While all the rooms are really quite comfortable, I prefer those facing Commerce Street. I heartily...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Run, don't walk, to this hotel! Its location is close enough to the French Quarter (if that's your destination) but without all the cheezy tourist traps surrounding you. It is located in the Warehouse District, a great area filled with good restaurants and shops that the locals actually buy from. Can't say enough good things about the staff. They are friendly and helpful from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave. Kudos to the management staff for putting together a great team. I have stayed here on several occasions, both business and pleasure, and its my first choice when I'm in New Orleans.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights on business and have to say it's quite nice. My biggest pet peeve is Wifi- you have to pay for it in the rooms, something I find really annoying. Just fold it into the price of the room for God's sake. Nickel & diming just makes people feel like they're being ripped off.

Otherwise, front desk was very warm and welcoming and helpful, beds comfy, room clean.

atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The lobby is filled with whimsical art - Extremely helpful and friendly staff - spacious and clean rooms - great bistro for breakfast, lunch and dinner! A great address in New Orleans! Walking distance from the quarter - just 2 blocks from Canal Street -

Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and could not have been treated any better. Everyone we encountered was friendly helpful and a credit to our wonderful stay thank you to all from the desk clerk to the housekeeper to the waitress at the cafe you were all wonderful! Would not blink an eye to reccommrnd this hotel to anyone who asks

• Stayed August 2012
Baton Rouge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We recently stayed here for two nigts. I was very excited about it after looking at the pics online, and couldn't wait to get there. When we arrived , I was really impressed with the lobby, it has cool , modern art. When we got to the room , I was a little dissappointed. They are really small , even for two people. It was very clean , and the bed was comfy. The view from the window was into the lobby (that sucked, no sunlight). Pass on the breakfast , its not worth the money at all. This hotel is nice , depending on where you have stayed before. I would use it again , if no other Marriot's were available.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Renaissance Arts Hotel for two nights in May. It was a very nice hotel, with interesting art in the public areas. Chihuly glass in several places, unusual murals, bright colors and artsy carpets and furniture. The room was excellent, and the bed was very comfortable. We didn't use the pool or eat at the restaurant.

The location is a bit off the beaten path but close enough to walk to the river or the French Quarter. We enjoyed the walk and were able to see different parts of the city by varying our route.

We would recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel? Share your experiences!