“Happy Birthday To Me” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   2127 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #74 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
“Happy Birthday To Me”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Well I need to publicly thank my wife first for finding this place and surprising me on my Birthday! Secondly I need to thank the owner and the staff of the Magnolia Mansion for making us feel like we owned the place ourselves. Being from the south there is an innate desire to want to own a mansion straight out of Gone With The Wind or maybe it's just me but I have to say it doesn't get much closer than this. We were fortunate enough to be placed in the largest and most decorated room in the place and it was wonderful. Being located in the Garden District places you close enough to the areas atrractions but far enough away from the touristy party places. Thanks to everyone at Magnolia for making our short vacation so wonderful and we both look forward to seeing you again hopefully before my next Birthday!

• Stayed November 2012

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
new zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I found the Magnolia Mansion a great place to stay, we went on a tour of Laurel Oaks Mansion and found the Magnolia Mansion more interesting. Holly does a wonderful job as owner and hostess, making you welcome and going the extra mile to to help you. I read in some of the reviews the breakfast was not up to standard, we had no complaints, we injoy serial and toast for breakfast, plus if we wanted something hot Holly would make up a hot burger which was more then enough to keep you going to lunch
The Spirit
I have never had anything to do with spirits but like a lot of people have thought, is there any truth in them. I am 66 years old.
The Spirit as I found out the following morning was called the Care taker and stayed in the room across the hallway from us. Holly said that that was the first time it had left the room I was woken in the morning by being shaken I looked over to Jill and she was shaking I thought she was having a fit (she has never had a fit in her life) I thought I must be dreaming, I made sure I was wide awake Jill was now not shaking and bouncing around and as I was looking around the room to see what was going on, then I felt this fresh wind pass over me. There was nothing in the room to suggest it was possible for that to happen.No windows or doors open, air conditioning was pointing the other way, I told Jill the next morning she told Holly. Holly then told us the story of the Care taker and showed me a book the only guests that had a experince were aloud to see, then understood what had happened. My partner Jill also had a great experience to do with a little hand, will tell more at a later day
sirdeno
Dennis
Meadowbank
Auckland
New Zealand

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is a mansion, literally. It could actually be a State Dept. building with sky high ceilings and a grand, stately, yet charming and homey presence. It is unique! Parking is on the street and it is safe; we were there for three nights and had no problems. Unfortunately, the streetcar line was not working, as it was in the aftermath of a hurricane. They suggest a cab preference, which is reassuring, as there are many and it's hard to know who won't take advantage. Within 10 minutes, you're in the French Quarter, which was our main destination.

Hollie, one of the mansion hosts is a sweetheart. She insists on bringing up your luggage from the courtyard and is quick to explain the happenings and to show you the 1st floor and your room. Everything is Period - 1865 ish and it literally feels like you've stepped back in time. Modern conveniences like a hair dryer and iron are still provided. Our bathroom had a claw foot tub with a shower nozzle and plenty of hot water! Because of the decor, you also find yourself walking around the dining and living rooms, absorbed in the flavor of the era. Hollie decorated this herself. Inside the mansion, it is eerily quite, so welcome from the chaos for the French Quarter. And it is clean!!!

When we first found out the bed and breakfast didn't come with breakfast, we were disappointed. Hollie explained and there are reasons, and when you think about it, the area is all about food. So in this case, you want to graze your way through the French Quarter, not be stuffed from a homemade breakfast. They do offer however, coffee and tea, cereal bars and hot breakfast sandwiches, the latter for a nominal fee. Fresh bottled water is available, even to refill your water bottles.

The mansion has a wonderful large front porch, and it was encouraged by Hollie to relax and enjoy our wine, outside with privacy. This was a welcome retreat after traveling and/or coming in from the day in New Orleans. Magnolia Mansion is a great place to stay, charming with the comforts of home, and a hostess who makes herself available for questions and to meet your needs!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor, but there is also a second.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
NewOrleansMsMagnolia, Owner at Magnolia Mansion, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience while staying in New Orleans and at Magnolia Mansion. It was a joy meeting you and having you as my guests. It's great that you mentioned how close we are to the French Quarter and how easy it is to get there. New Orleans is a small walking city with lots of public transportation. It is unfortunate that the Saint Charles Street Car was not operating during your stay, this should be operational any day now.
Complimentary Continental Plus Breakfast, served from 8:30am - 10:30am. Breakfast includes a selection of coffee, hot teas, orange juice, Milk, fresh fruits (apples, oranges, & bananas), assorted breakfast bars & oatmeal, assorted pastries such as, Biscotti, Cinnamon Rolls, Cherry Cheese Danish, three types of Bagels & English Muffins, three types of Cereals, instant oatmeal & a choice of two hot breakfast sandwiches (which are also complimentary incidentally). We do keep filtered water available for our Guest's to enjoy and refill their water bottles, and this is replenished throughout the day. However, we do not provide bottled water to our guests, only the water. I believe I gave these guests a couple of bottles of water that I had left over from a recent event, as they were going on a tour and did not have time to go to the store to buy their own. This was a spur of the moment request that I was fortunately able to fulfill for them. Also, Hot tea and snacks are available 24/7 in the dining room.
I hope you visit us again very soon. We appreciate your business and want to thank you again for choosing Magnolia Mansion for your stay in New Orleans. Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas. Wishing all travelers this Holiday Season... Safe Travels.
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We booked the hotel thru BookIt and when we got there Holly had upgraded us to the Vampire Lair for our 25th Anniversary and it was just such a great stay. We could not have asked for more, the room was clean and big and the bathtub was just so big enough for 2 :) they made are stay so memorable we will never forget Holly and her staff. Also they are in the perfect place for walking to great little eating places and we parked our car and pretty much walked every where, we only called a cab a couple of times. BEAUTIFUL PLACE

Room Tip: The Room we had was #3 and it was quite as could be, we slept really great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you folks for taking the time to leave a memory of your stay to share with other travelers. It was my pleasure to be able to upgrade you to "The Vampire Lover's Lair" to help celebrate your 25th anniversary. I felt honored that you would choose Magnolia Mansion for such an important occasion. After all, I created this room for those seeking eternal bliss. I'm glad you enjoyed our location and what the Garden District has to offer. New Orleans is a wonderful city to walk in, there is so much to see that would be missed otherwise. Packing a pair of walking shoes is a must when traveling to the Big Easy.

Hopefully, you will come and celebrate your 26th with us next year. Until then....Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and...Safe Travels
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We were blown away by the hospitality at this Victorian lady. The mansion is tastefully decorated in a mix of campy and classy. Enjoyed all modern conveniences and attention to our needs. My adult sons were not quite sure what to think at first, but were won over. We enjoyed fine dining in NOLA including a short walk to Emeril's Delmonico and a bit longer walk to the French Quarter. No need to pay for breakfast or parking ($$$ at the hotels). We felt safe, secure and very comfortable.

Room Tip: All three of our rooms were very nice, but the innkeeper moved my tall son out of Napoleon's roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your experience while staying at Magnolia Mansion. I'm glad you found the atmosphere and decor appealing. Regarding moving your son to another room for his level of comfort. When I learned that he was well over 6' tall, I decided to move him to our other Queen Deluxe which would be better for his height. After all, the Queen Deluxe Room called Napoleans' Rendezvous is named that for a reason. Since you booked three rooms on line through 3rd party reservation system, rather than our direct office, you are guaranteed a room type, not a specific room. All of our rooms are different, thankfully I was able to make this adjustment. As it turned out, everyone got the right room just for them. I'm glad you felt safe and secure, and that everyone was comfortable. It was a lovely Thanksgiving weekend and having your family stay with us, made it all the better. We wish you and yours a Merry Christmas. Until next time, Happy Holidays to all... and Safe Travels.
Saba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I enjoyed a weekend in NOLA and elected to stay here. The mansion is simply gorgeous and well maintained. Also it's very clean which I appreciated. My room had a comfy queen bed, there was a little anteroom with a single bed and then the bathroom, which had a deep jacuzzi tub and gold fixtures. The room was a deep rich red with jazz themed murals on the walls. I would definitely stay here again. Henry was the concierge this weekend and was a delight with a lot of helpful advice and suggestions for where to dine, how to travel about the city, etc.. Definitely a great resource! The mansion is walking distance from several restaurants and one could even walk from the French Quarter back to the mansion with no real difficulty. It's about a 10 minute taxi to the FQ, just far enough away to make it a peaceful neighbourhood.

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor, very quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
NewOrleansMsMagnolia, Owner at Magnolia Mansion, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for sharing you stay and memories with other travelers. The room you described is called " Bordello Storyville Jazz" and I am happy to hear you found it comfortable and our location to your liking during your stay.

I'm also happy to hear you were pleased with the Henry's assistance in order to make the most of your time while visiting New Orleans.

We enjoy helping our Guests by offering tour, restaurant and sightseeing suggestions. Until next time...safe travels.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My partner and I thought a lot about where to stay in New Orleans and we finally decided on this very grand B&B. It looked great and when we got there we weren't disappointed. The architecture was fabulous. The room was big with a jacuzzi and loads of original features. The room we booked was over $150 per night. there are also late checkin fees of either $25 or $50 depending on what time you get there. We arrived at 19:45 and had to pay the $25 although i'm not sure why as the person who checked us in was in the office anyway.
At that price you would expect from a B&B a first class breakfast and a spotless room. The room was clean but the dust on the bed headboard was as old as the bed itself.
As for a first class breakfast if you wanted hot you had to order the night before (because actually they needed to get it out of the freezer). It was something called a Jimmy Dean I think with turned out to be something they microwaved and put on paper plates, also tea and coffee was in polystyrene cups, there were also pastries in packets, apples and bananas. Basically it was extremely poor. There is also lots of room for off street parking but you have to park on the road.
The host was helpful, arranging trips for us and giving directions and hints for places to eat.

Room Tip: If you struggle with stairs, make sure you tell them early on that you need a downstairs room. The...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

NewOrleansMsMagnolia, Owner at Magnolia Mansion, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for posting your experience. I am glad you were pleased with the architecture of the building, the parking and the tips given by the Host. We are also happy to hear that you were pleased with your complimentary upgrade to a Premier Plus with a Jacuzzi Tub/Shower, as you did not originally book the room we upgraded you to, as we had the opportunity to do so. You originally booked a Queen with a shower only. As it clearly states on our website and other online reservation systems, our check in time is between 2pm -6:30pm CST. Special arrangements must be made prior to arrival for all early or late arrivals if not within our check in times. We can usually accommodate early check ins without any additional fees. However, we do have to make special arrangements for someone to check in late arrivals after 6:30pm, as our office closes at 5pm /CST…that is unless we have to wait for check ins, then we have to be in the office. Unlike large chain hotels, we do not have a 24 hour desk. This is a B&B, but is also my home with limited staff hours. Some B&B’s / owner operated Guest homes will not allow late Check-Ins at all. We are up first thing in the morning, 7 days a week and we don’t go to bed until the last guest(s) checks in. As for the dust on the headboard…Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will look into this immediately, as I take great care to insure all 14,000 Sq. Ft. of this historic property is kept as clean as possible. Our furniture, baseboards, floors, walls, fans, A/C filters etc ...everything is cleaned on either a daily and/or weekly basis through out the Mansion.
Now, to address the breakfast issue. As for a first class breakfast, we have never claimed to serve anything of the sort. It is well advertised and reviewed here on Tripadvisor that we only serve a Continental Breakfast, which consist of a choice of 3 types cereals, 3 types of Bagels/English Muffins, 3 types of packaged pastries, a selection of instant oatmeal & breakfast bars, oranges, apples, bananas, coffee, OJ, selection of Hot teas, and of course our choice of two…Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwiches (yeas they are prepackaged, frozen & microwaveable). This is the only way to offer a hot breakfast item within our restrictions from the health department. We offer them upon request and you do not have to order the night before, however it helpful to know ahead of time. Also, yes, paper plates and plastic utensils are available, as are the ceramic plates and stainless service utensils. Both are available each and every morning and it is up to each guest to choose what they prefer. We serve the sandwiches on the paper plate unless otherwise requested. Yes the coffee/tea cups are Styrofoam so they can take it to their rooms, out on the veranda, or to go, if they want. All of this information is available in our property description and what is included in each overnight stay. We are not known for a hot gourmet breakfast. We do not have a restaurant on property and do not have a restaurant license; therefore we cannot by law cook a hot breakfast. Most people save their appetites for the gourmet Jazz Brunches, Lunches and Dinners, and only want enough to get them on their way to stave off hunger till then. Many sleep in from all their fun the night before. If breakfast is considered to be your favorite meal or the most important meal you will eat each day, then I can understand your disappointment. I urge all travelers to research menu / breakfast carefully if this is also a deciding factor when choosing a place to stay.

Been to Magnolia Mansion? Share your experiences!