“Wonderful location, wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

Magnolia Mansion
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   2127 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #86 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful location, wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

A friend and I had a lovely stay at Magnolia Mansion for a week in October. Not only is it a beautiful place and area of NOLA, our host, Hollie, and her staff were more than helpful and full of great advice. We took the majority of said advice, and it was spot on.

The toilet handle broke and was fixed speedily. We had free reign to help ourselves to refreshments and a phone. It was clean and tidy. The restaurant and entertainment guide was great and regularly updated. Guests were encouraged to share their tips. Everything we could've needed was there, or on hand if asked. We needed an extra night due to Hurricane Sandy - shuffling was done and we were given a wonderful room. The WiFi connection excellent , and more useful than planned due to changes in travel plans. In essence, Hollie bent over backwards to make it a great stay. She even charged my phone when my cord died!

If I'm ever back in New Orleans this is where I'll stay. My friend would second that.

N.B. House rules are put forward in jest, but at the same time this is an austere building that a lot of work has gone into, and the experience for guests is meant to be a relaxing and opulent treat (for us) - quiet and romantic for a couple. If you want a party hotel full of randoms - stay in Bourbon Street (yuck) - with the exception of Fritzels Jazz Bar.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
NewOrleansMsMagnolia, Owner at Magnolia Mansion, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
I’m so happy to learn that your choice to stay at Magnolia Mansion was right for you and your friend. I’m also glad that you were pleased with your customer service and accommodations. Thank you for sharing your experience with others. Hopefully, you can return someday soon. Until then…Safe Travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

It was the perfect place to stay in New Orleans. We wanted to see everything everything Nola has to offer but didn't want to be in the middle of things all the time. So the Garden district in which Magnolia Mansion is located was a great choice as it is close to the centre but also far away enough to get some rest, too. Be prepared to take the cab quite often here (at least as long as the Street Car line through the Garden District is interrupted due to work on the tracks) as the bus service is pretty unreliable. The mansion is a beautiful building every bit as beautiful as you can see on the pictures if not even better. You'll feel like a rich cotton farmer immediately once you take a seat on the spacious veranda. The inside of the house is amazing too. The corridor is painted blood red, while the other rooms downstairs are in lighter colours. Beautiful furniture all over. The rooms themselves are all decorated to a different theme. We stayed in the Southern hospitality room as it was the one selected by Hotwire when we booked. We liked this room very much. The decoration/paintings on the wall may not be to everyone's liking but it is nice if you look for something different compared to the standard hotel room. The rooms are all clean and the furniture is so great, I loved the wooden beds. Hollie was a very welcoming host and very concerned about us having the best time possible. Special thanks also for letting us switch rooms for the last two nights when we were trying to make some contact with the other residents of Magnolia Mansion ;) Hollie also always recommended things. And those advices we took (Swamp tour, Plantation tour) were exactly right. I can see how some people were put off by all the rules. But then again you have to see that it is an old building with lots of antiques. I can imagine it can be quite costly to fix damage on them. So I can see her point. Also you have to take the whole list with a pinch of salt. If you behave like a civilised person with some manners you should be fine. All in all we were quite happy with our stay at the Magnolia and would certainly return on our next trip to New Orleans!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for sharing your Magnolia Mansion Experience with others. It’s unfortunate the streetcars were under renovations and repairs during your stay. Progress is made to restore more of the St. Charles St Car line every week. It should be completed very soon. This is the first time in the 10 years that we have been in operation that the St. Car has been out of service. Thank goodness the cab stand is close and arrives quickly when called, and also that we are in a good walking neighborhood. There are also lots of places to eat and shop nearby. Now to address once again the infamous Ms. Magnolia’s Do’s & Don’ts…aka the Mansion policies. I tell everyone to be sure to read them with a southern accent and a sense of humor, with the understanding that everything listed has actually happened at least twice. It really does amount to using common sense and common courtesy while staying in someone’s home as a guest. So much so, that many have asked to have a copy to use for when their friends and family visit them. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the Victorian Décor. During that period of history, the main common areas (parlors, dining area, and back foyer) and the Grand Entry Hallway were only used for entertaining. The upstairs was considered the living area and the bedrooms during that time were all upstairs. The wall murals were also very popular back then, therefore I choose to step back in time and showcase each room’s unique theme with a mural. The actual name of the room that you spoke of is a Queen Standard called “Southern Comfort”. I’m so glad that you were comfortable, slept well and enjoyed your room. Till next time…Safe Travels
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed here two nights (Friday and Saturday) in October. She was in town for a convention and I was tagging along to see the city.

We were in an upstairs room (#207-- not sure of the name of the room) which was a decent size. There was a comfortable queen bed, two small twin beds, a large bathroom, a walk-in closet space, a desk and chair, two nightstands. There is free wireless internet in the room. The thing less than stellar was the old tube-style standard-definition TV/VCR combo-- though they did have cable. Then again, who comes to New Orleans to watch TV, right? The room is centrally air-conditioned and there's a thermostat to adjust the temperature in the room.

The manager greeted us at the gate (you have to call ahead when you arrive at the airport) and carried our luggage to the room for us. There is a large list of rules to follow, but most of them are common sense if you think of yourself more as a guest of the house rather than a hotel guest. "Please close the gate behind you when you come in." "Please walk quietly through the halls at night." "Please don't bring non-guests of the Mansion inside the Mansion." Etc. Thankfully, all of the other guests followed the rules while we were there so the place was very quiet at night. We found it very easy to get a good nights sleep.

One of the only small downsides of the place, I suppose, are that there is no hot breakfast provided. There are bagels, fruit, cereal, coffee, tea, and some microwave breakfast sandwiches provided, though. There is a convenience store, a bar/grill, a small Vietnamese (I think) cafe, and a steakhouse within a block of the Mansion,

Location-wise, the Mansion is a couple of miles away from the French Quarter. You can take the bus for $1.25 or a cab for $5-$10. Unfortunately, the bus stops aren't marked very well so you might want to spring for the cab.

All-in-all, we enjoyed our stay at the Mansion. The manager was extremely friendly and always eager to help. She arranged a swamp tour for us, called us cabs, recommended restaurants, etc. I'd recommend the Mansion if you're looking for a quiet, comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NewOrleansMsMagnolia, Owner at Magnolia Mansion, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you sharing your experience and advice with other travelers. I’m happy that you enjoyed our customer service and enjoyed your room that you were comfortable and appreciated your free WI FI, etc. The 10 year old TV/VCR combo sets are presently only in our Queen Standard and Deluxe rooms; however we have flat screens in the Premier Plus and Luxury King rooms. When I first opened, there was no such thing as flat screens. I invested in a large collection of VHS & DVD’s for our complimentary Media Lending Library, so that people can watch a movie after a long day of sightseeing, walking, shopping, tours and eating, without having to rent one. As you wonderfully pointed out, “who comes to New Orleans to watch TV?” I agree. From your room description, it sounds as if you were in Guest Room #7, the Mardi Gras Getaway Queen Deluxe, as we only have 9 rooms and there is no #207 (this is located on the top/2nd floor however).
Regarding the reason we ask all of our arriving Guests to call our day of arrival cell number once a Guest arrives at the airport, or within 30 minutes of one’s arrival when driving, is to make certain we are there to hear the doorbell and/or greet you at the gate and assist you with your luggage. We don’t want you to be left standing outside without our knowledge. The Mansion is over 14,000 Sq. Ft. and we are busy throughout the day cleaning, assisting Guests with Tour & Restaurant Reservations, Checking Guests In & Out and we cannot always hear the doorbell (as it is only located in strategically located and secluded staff areas so as not to disturb our Guest Rooms) or answer the office phone (the signal does not go through the Mansion). We keep the cell phone on us at all times for all of these reasons, as well as for emergencies, should guests need our assistance after office hours (9am-5pm CST). We do not have 24 hour office or front desk service, as this is a Mom & Pop kind of business (owner operated). I’m very thankful you pointed out that our Mansion policies are mostly common sense, and I might add common courtesy, as well as safety and security issues for all of our Guests, and the property. As you said, because of everyone’s sense of courtesy towards others, you were able to sleep well. This property is for the exclusive peaceful enjoyment of our registered guests and we want everyone to enjoy a good night’s sleep, so they can rest up after a full day of activities. Regarding the hot breakfast issue, we don’t advertise anything other than a continental breakfast. Again, I strongly suggest if this is a big priority for any traveler, please do all of your research before booking a room, so you are getting exactly what you want and/or expect. There are at least 10 good / great restaurants, many cafes, 2 grocery stores (one w/ a Deli), and lots of fast food eateries within a few blocks and within walking distance of Magnolia Mansion. Everything from Steak Houses, to traditional New Orleans Cuisine, including Seafood, Pizza, Burgers, BBQ, Sushi and a great 24 hour hot breakfast/lunch/dinner local resturant. There is something to satisfy whatever you may be craving.
Thank you for also mentioning the transportation. As far as the location, we are just steps from the ST. Charles Street Car line (which was being worked on during your stay and not operational to the French Quarter), which is the best way to get around during the day. It is a short 10 to 15 minute ride to the FQ by Street Car, 5 minutes by Cab and a 30 to 45 minute walk if you love to walk. As far as the Buses, I don’t recommend this. I agree…spring for the cab if the ST. Car is down. Thank you giving such a healthy overall review of your stay. Until next time…Safe travels.
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We are in the middle of a five day stay at Magnolia Mansion, a couple not necessarily seeking a romantic location. I feel I must pipe up and say that this is definitely not a place for "cool mama" (see review below) to stay. We are quite content, have a SO comfortable bed, love the location, find the house very eclectically New Orleans. I will review further in a few days after leaving.

Room Tip: Found "Mardi Gras" unpretentious and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding what we have to offer you and other travelers. I especially appreciate your acknowledging Magnolia Mansion to be “eclectically New Orleans” and the comfort of your bed. When I decided to decorate each of the Guest rooms with a unique theme, my intention was for people to know they are in definitely in New Orleans. I want them to realize this when they first open their eyes in the morning to put a smile on their face. Until next time…Safe Travels.
Potomac, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Let me start by saying, this was not our first choice and we booked this place due to it's proximity to Tulane ...we happened to snag the last and only room available, The Napoleon Room. The pros: the room and property were clean, Tim, the manager was nothing but nice and courtious. There was plenty of on street parking and location was good.

Now to the not so good...on first impression for a property in the Garden District, you were greeted with scruby grounds and a front door flanked by fake plants faded to a sickly unnatural color. Hello, isn't this supposed to be the Garden District! The style and decor was a bad rendition of the victorian period with a collection of dusty artificial flowers, gold spray paint, uncomfortable reproduction furniture and a garrish red grand hallway that literally took your breath away in a bad way. I didn't know you could get that much bright red in one room. I understand this might be alot of people's cup of tea and idea of "fancy", no problem. You can tell this mansion has beautiful bones and architecture with so much potential but just fell flat on so many points and has clearly seen better days. The place feels and smells like an old funeral home that has seen better days and I don't understand who would find this place "romantic". To be honest, from the pictures, I kind of expected this and because we really just needed a room, I was willing to accept all that, had it not been for the fact how poorly thought out and uncomfortable our room turned out to be. We stayed here for 2 nights and I would have complained or asked to move to another room, but the few times we happened to see Tim, there were other people around and out of respect I would not want to do so publicly. Nor were there any open rooms. If you come here, think twice about settling for the Napoleon Room. First, the bathroom was just dismal, especially for a place that bills itself as romantic. The whole room and bathroom had such poor and unappealing lighting that I had to sit outside on the front veranda if I wanted to put on makeup. Forget about taking a bath or shower here. It takes minimum of 10 minutes to produce any hot water and the hand held "shower" that is part of the bathtub faucet produces only a small TRICKLE of water. After you soaped up with the cold water, plan on another 10 minutes to try to rinse it off. My husband wanted to kill me. I resorted to showering in my daughter's dorm. They thoughtfully provided a wall mounted makeup mirror, but it was not operable. The small pedestal sink provided barely enough room to put down your toothbrush. The good thing is that the bathroom was large enough to make it more comfortable for a traveler should they want to make improvements. On to the room...It was a small room (that's ok) but not laid out or furnished with a traveler in mind. Every square inch was crowded by useless furniture....2 stiff formal type parlor chairs (the only place to put your suitcases), a small dresser with no usualbe surface because it was covered with an old TV, folddown desk that served no purpose and took up precious space, a useless stand up valet where they should have left space for a luggage rack and tiny nighttables barely able to hold a cell phone. Again, it did not have to be this way and I wonder who looks at this and thinks this is good. As an interior designer and space planner, again, I could have made this room so much more comfortable in 5 minutes. You get the picture. There was barely a surface in the room for your personal things. The bed springs squeeked and the bedding was just a worn, "bed in the bag" type collection of dated polyester, not at all hospitality or hotel quality. We did not have a good nights sleep. I will say the cable TV,fan and air conditioning worked very well. There is nothing here that can't be easily fixed should the management take to heart my comments and desire to give the guest a much better experience.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Napoleon Room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are thankful that this guest appreciated our location, parking, A/C, Cable TV, Fan and our Host. We are located right at the gateway to the Garden District, just off St. Charles Avenue & Mardi Gras Parade Route. Yes…this is the Garden District and our courtyards are surrounded by 150 year old living Oaks, Hedges of Holly and Camellias, and our garden is filled with Magnolia Trees, Azaleas, Gardenias, Night Blooming Jasmine, etc. However, I choose not to have living plants flanking our entry doors as I consider this décor and the gets changed seasonally, as well as for weddings. The faux plants do need replacing at least once a year after a hot summer, as they have faded some by the end of summer. I usually wait and replace them with faux silk Poinsettias for the Christmas Holidays for cost effective reasons and so they last through the entire season & do not drop their leaves. I then buy new faux silk plants at the beginning of the year. Regarding the comment about our grounds being scrubby…these guests stayed here August 24th & 25th, four days before Hurricane Isaac hit New Orleans. We had nonstop rain for weeks prior to the Hurricane landfall. Our grounds are serviced and manicured each and every Thursday or Friday (depending on weather and guest arrivals). However, if it is pouring down rain, service must be delayed until weather permits.
Having addressed the above, may I say that anyone traveling anywhere, should carefully research the place they ultimately choose to stay by visiting the properties official website in order to view all available photos, and most importantly, to read the properties complete description, room descriptions, amenities, location and policies. I strongly suggest that all travelers personally contact the property they are considering, so they can ask questions if they are extremely particular about specific details and amenities for their accommodations. Regardless, when booking a room, no matter if it is a traveler’s first, second or third choice… if one is disappointed in their choice, could it be that it is possible they did not take the time to fully research before booking… or they booked solely on availability or pricing. If these travelers “kind of expected this from the photos” and because they just needed a room, I don’t really understand their emotionally charged complaints and/or criticisms. The decor is simply a matter of taste and a difference of opinion of what is visually appealing and what is not. They made the wrong choice for what their aesthetic needs desire and/or and comfort require… it is as simple as that. Decisions are usually made based on something that altered one’s final decision, whether it was availability, location, pricing, or policies etc. Perhaps these guests did not visit our official website properties, which clearly show photos of each unique guestroom and give a complete detailed description of each unique bathroom; some have photos of the pedestal sinks and tubs etc. These same photos are available on other sites to view as well, however the complete description may not always be available on other sites. This traveler booked online over an extremely busy hot rainy August weekend. Note: Only when booking directly with Magnolia Mansion are you guaranteed the exact room description, floor, bathroom & themed room type of your choice. Otherwise, only the room type is available through 3rd party reservation systems. For example, we have 2 Queen Standard Rooms, 2 Queen Deluxe Rooms, 3 Premier Plus King/Queen, and 2 Luxury Kings (the Lux Kings are not available through any online reservation system at this time).
As far as the funeral home comparison…I don’t know where this traveler has attended previous funerals; however they must have been over the top and very opulent. Personally, the funeral homes I have been to look nothing like this property, as they are usually beige & brown décor. Magnolia Mansion has a bold beautiful red grand hallway, white parlors, butter yellow dining room and golden back foyer. However, here is a point of interest…the history of this property shows that there were two funerals held at this property (prior to decorating as it is shown today). The first was held in 1869, for the man who built this home, Alexander Harris. The 2nd was held in 1887 for homes 2nd owner, John Henry Maginnis, who was struck by lightning on July 4th. Another fact travelers & history lovers may find interesting is that this building also served as the American Red Cross Headquarters in World War II from 1939 to 1954. It has also served as a wedding venue for hundreds of brides over the years. Both wedding venues and funeral homes use faux silk flower arrangements for décor when attempting to stay within restricted budgets. When budgets permit, real flowers are used. If travelers don’t mind having a few extra hundred dollars added to their stay, we would be glad to provide fresh flowers upon request. However, our décor is strictly to provide the illusion of a time gone by.

My Mother & I bought this property in 2001, right after 9/11. At the time of purchase, this building was in a deplorable blighted condition, and we are given credit by many in the historic / preservation community for saving this beautiful piece of architecture and history. It has truly been a labor of love. Soon after a complete renovation, I opened Magnolia Mansion, a licensed hotel that operates more as a B&B and Wedding & Special Event Venue. I am solely responsible for decorating it as it looks today. This Victorian Décor is not for everyone’s taste and I understand and can appreciate that. However, the Victorian Décor, furniture and colors were researched in depth to recreate the atmosphere so visitors could step back in time. The furnishings are a combination of authentic antiques and well-made reproductions, all bought here in New Orleans. As I type this, I notice that our parlors have people visiting after breakfast and sitting in our parlor chairs and couches. They seem quite comfortable; otherwise I don’t think they would remain there.
I’m sorry that this traveler did not like the décor or sleep well in Napoleons Rendezvous. They did not mention any of this during their stay. One of the first things we ask our guest each morning is “How did you sleep”? We give them an opportunity to let us know if there is anything we can do for them. This traveler is one of the few who has not slept well here in over our 10 years in service. We can’t please everyone; however we do try our best to make our guests as comfortable as possible…if at all possible. . As for the night tables in this room, they are of French Design and hold a lamp, a clock radio, and can easily hold a glass of water, a book, reading glasses and a cell phone. Regarding the hot water, the water pressure, and shower/tub functions, they all work well in all bathrooms. That is provided the user is familiar with how to operate the hardware to switch from the tub to shower function, or from the wall mount shower to Jacuzzi tubs. There are some travelers that are not used to operating certain plumbing hardware, and it is up to the traveler to ask for staff assistance in operating or to immediately notify the staff if they have an issue or complaint. If we are not notified at the time of stay, then we cannot assist in resolving their issue. We are reported to be haunted here at Magnolia Mansion, however we are not known to be able to read minds…yet. As for the pedestal sink…it is fully described (photos too) as such on our website for that room, and/or other rooms that may have the same old fashioned sink. There is a 3 tiered brass amenities table in each bathroom for the purpose of putting grooming products /makeup, as well as hooks on the bathroom door for makeup travel bags. Regarding the bathroom lighting, there is a 5 light horizontal bar above the old fashion oval decorator mirror as well as a ceiling light. The magnified makeup mirror is attached to the wall next to the Oval Decorator Mirror over the sink (under the light bar), and has a hinged arm with witch to adjust for use.
Again, I’m disappointed that this Guest was so unhappy with their choice. Hopefully this review will help others to decide what is right for their travels when searching for a place to stay. Happy & safe travels to all.
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

If you have ever driven past or toured a grand southern plantation house and wondered what it would be like to stay there, this is your chance! We had a wonderful stay (week)! This is very different and the mansion is just beautiful. The architecture is lovely and the furnishings are very period. I had breakfast one morning alone at the end of the long table in the sunny breakfast room and was imagining how amazing it must have been to have lived in this mansion when it was built!

Tim was so sweet and was just a treasure trove of history! It was very interesting to hear the stories! Breakfast was perfect, fruit, danish, granola bars--not too much. The location is perfect. There is a small grocery store across the street....Walgreen's just a five minute walk.

The rooms are quirky and fun. Sure was nice to stay in a place that is not so vanilla and the same! We got a free upgrade room. Free WIFI, no telephone. We had a min-fridge which was very convenient.

Tip: When Tim offers to help you with your luggage, take him up on it! There are no elevators ;)

Thanks for the hospitality!!

Room Tip: If you can't do a steep, winding (beautiful) staircase, ask for the first floor rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
NewOrleansMsMagnolia, Owner at Magnolia Mansion, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for choosing Magnolia Mansion for you stay in New Orleans. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed our location, complimentary Wi-Fi and Continental breakfast (just enough to get you through until you go to a JAZZ Brunch), the Mansion's decor and appreciated the architecture of the this historic property. The Guest rooms are meant to be quirky, each uniquely themed and yes... colorful. Thank you for mentioning the staircase and reminding travelers that we do not have an elevator. Many Small historic B&B's, Guest homes, and Inns don't have elevators. Travel tip... bring walking shoes, clothes to layer and pack light. Our Host will will always offer to assist Guests with their luggage and offer helpful tips about where to go and what to do in New Orleans. Take advantage of the knowledge and experience we have to offer you. Until next time...safe travels.
St.Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The inn is just beautiful and right off of St Charles street. Everything is larger than life with the 10 foot doors and all the decor...It is just lovely. We stayed in the Southern Comfort theme room and it was very quaint. The bedding was so comfy and cozy. I loved snuggling in every evening for a good nights sleep.
The wifi worked great in the room the entire trip. The host Tim was very nice and helpful, but did not bug you at all..Heck you would never even know he was there most of the time. He would leave in the evenings and you practically had the place to yourself..we hardly noticed anyone else around till closer too the weekend. I loved sitting on the big front porch sipping wine and watching the storms roll in. The breakfast is just bagels,pastry ect..But there is a nice little cafe just a block or so away called the Trolley stop cafe and it had wonderful breakfast. Before 8:30 during the week you could get the early bird special for $2.99..Great value and the sweet iced tea was the best. We spent 3 relaxing nights here..It was wonderful..The only down fall we had on this trip was the street care st charles stopped working after our first day...bummer..so you had too taxi, but or drive too Bourbon, French quarter..ect...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your Magnolia Mansion experience with others. Thrilled that you were pleased with your Southern Comfort Room and bed, our Host, the Mansion décor, the nearby eateries (many nearby to choose from), our location, Wi-Fi and your privacy. Regarding the privacy of our Guests & feeling like you have the whole place to yourself and that is exactly what we want you to feel. Relaxed and peaceful. There is something magical about it. We do our best to be available for our Guests during the day and on call for emergencies at night. Sometimes we are not always working where we can be seen, however we are always here working somewhere on property, assisting a Guest, or on call. It is unfortunate that the St. Charles St. Car was under repair and renovation during your stay. The St. Car Repairs should be done throughout the city very soon. Our city is trying to get everything in tip top shape for Super Bowl this year, which is being held here in New Orleans. Normally, the Street Car is the best way to get around during the day, as one stops about every 15 minutes or so up until around 6pm. After that I suggest to our Guest they should take a cab after dark for convenience, comfort and safety. Until next visit…Safe Travels.

Been to Magnolia Mansion? Share your experiences!