“Motion detect AC....HOT at night!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites New Orleans

You added Homewood Suites New Orleans to your Saves list
Homewood Suites New Orleans
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Poydras St, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Get Double HHonors Points
Ranked #78 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Waterloo, Illinois
“Motion detect AC....HOT at night!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

While the room is quite spacious, I would NEVER have stayed at this hotel if I knew about the "motion detection" on the heating and cooling! Unless the sensor detects movement (which is, of course not happening at night while sleeping) the AC will not stay on!! To sleep comfortably in a hotel, my family likes the air to feel cool...around 70 with no humidity. The system in these hotel rooms revert to a balmy 73 degrees and will kick off (except the fan) if no motion is detected!! Because only the fan is running, the air becomes extremely humid and almost feels wet! While I understand the energy-saving issue with this during the day when no one is in the room (which is what guest services informed me of when I called to inquire), I cannot understand how this would not be an issue with more people who are trying to sleep at night! Unless you manually get up and reset the thermostat every half hour or so ( which is what I ended up doing because I was unable to sleep in this hot room), the sensor senses no movement and kicks into "energy-saving mode". Although I did read this on the disclaimer on the wall of the room when we checked in (that the air might feel more humid than normal), I didn't realize what it meant until I felt it, unable to sleep because I am sweating!!! This is definitely a deal-breaker for my family...and trumps any other nice amenity that the hotel offers. I am uncertain if this is a policy at all Homewood Suites hotel, but I will definitely be checking from this point forward and will not ever stay in one with this option ever again!,!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Jennifer_H_Jones901, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Laura M,

Please accept my apologies regarding the conditions under which you slept. The information you provided is of great concern to us as the system is programmed under the best circumstances to not shut off, but to self adjust to a comfortable temperature in the very low 70's and for the fan to turn on and off to maintain that temperature. Thanks to your feedback we have contacted the manufacturer to insure that the settings are correct and that this does not occur in future. This isn't a problem that had been reported throughout the hotel. We hope that you will give us another chance to serve you and your family. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for future reservations. Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay and for choosing to stay with Homewood Suites.

Sincerely, Jennifer Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Los Angeles, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

i chose this hotel because i needed two rooms. It was cheaper than many of the downtown hotels. The furntiture in each of the suites was damaged. We also left a garment bag behind at checkout. The staff was not at all helpful in retrieving them

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Jennifer_H_Jones901, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites New Orleans, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear James M,

Thank you for you review of our hotel. Our suites are quite spacious and a wonderful companion to the complimentary daily hot breakfast we provide daily. I apologize that the sofa was damaged in your suite, the defective items will be replaced and as well the entire hotel will receive a beautiful upgrade. We are preparing to undergo full renovations beginning July 7 which will be complete by the end of the summer. I hope that you have been in touch with our hotel regarding your luggage and hopefully we can assist in locating the luggage you left behind. My apologies with any challenges you may be experiencing at this time.

Tracy, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Came for last minute trip to New Orleans and used my hotel points. Two bedroom suite. As Homewood Suites go, it was good. The kitchen and bathrooms have a little dated look if you pay attention to that stuff, but for a place to sleep that is downtown it served its purpose.

The concierge is a real laugh, great woman who loves to talk. Booked us on a city tour and always said hi to us. Rest of the staff were really nice as well.

Breakfast and dinner are what you expect, nothing exciting but what did you think you get for free? it fills the stomach and keeps you going.

For a family of 4+ looking for a place in heart of town and find a kitchenette useful its good.

Dear Pugwash 1968,

Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel and your lovely experience. It is so wonderful that your family had a great time visiting our hotel while in New Orleans. We shared your review with our team as they work hard to do a great job for our guests. We hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

The representative helping me was able to cancel my friends reservation because she was sick. That was a very kind gesture that she did because my friend could not travel due to illness. Very friendly and professional service at the front desk

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Lang E,

Thank you sharing the kind regarding our staff. I have shared your review with our team. It is great motivation to continue doing a great job when we hear how much you appreciate our attentiveness. Thank you again. We hope you enjoyed your stay and will return soon.

Kind regards, Jennifer Jones
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Homewood Suites by Hilton in New Orleans was a wonderful, clean, comfortable hotel in a great location, close to all the night spots and day spots, too! The staff were super friendly. We would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Dear 787 Kathy C,

Thank you for choosing Homewood Suites to host you during your visit to New Orleans. We are so happy that you found our hotel clean and our team so friendly. We look forward to hosting you in the future if your travels return you to New Orleans.

Bethel Springs, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The driveway was cramped and confusing with no one directing dropoffs and off loads. Parking was fairly expensive and no directions for self park. Rooms were good and service was as expected. Breakfast was a little lacking (free hot breakfast is one of the reasons we stay at Homewood) with fewer choices than I've had at other Homewood Suites. Checkout was as bad as I've had at casinos. I had to actually check out to get the car valet receipt. Overall a good experience but not quite up to the standards I have come to expect from Homewood Suites.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Oneeod,

Thank you for choosing Homewood Suites. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your visit with our hotel. I apologize about any confusion related to your valet parking. We have used your feedback and are attempting to make updates that should assist in the future. If your travel should return you to New Orleans please do give us another opportunity to serve you.

Walworth, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We just got back from an incredible family vacation! Kylie, the concierge at this hotel is amazing! She really knows the city and did a great job helping us find destinations and tours that our whole family could enjoy. I can't say enough good things about her.

The hotel is starting to show some wear but how much time do you actually spend in your hotel room when you are in New Orleans? The location couldn't be better for families. Close enough to everything but far enough away from the party scene. We look forward to returning again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Wisconsin 2014,

Thank you for the feedback about your visit with us. Our concierge knows everything New Orleans and I'm glad she made your stay special. We are very excited about our upcoming renovations which will rejuvenate the hotel and make staying us even better. We hope to see you again soon!

Sincerely, Jennifer Jones

Been to Homewood Suites New Orleans? Share your experiences!