“THE BEST” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dartmouth, MA
“THE BEST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in April. By far, it was one of the best properties we've stayed in in the US. Don (the owner) was so gracious when we arrived-- much earlier than expected. He showed us around and gave us the history of the house. We read about Don's illustrious past from newspaper clippings hung on the walls and from two scrap books. We loved our room--the Victoria. The antique furniture throughout the house was impressive. We were in the front of the house, but were never disturbed by the street noises. The breakfasts were substantial, always followed by 'a sweet'. (Thanks, Shelia) And, the very best part were the conversations we had with other guests, and especially Don. We'll be sure to recommend The Hubbard to our friends headed to NO.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I booked my room for 3 nights and they charged my card. Called me the week of the trip to let me know they were giving my room to someone who wanted 4 nights, sorry! Don't book here if you actually need a place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We stayed here for just two nights during Jazzfest. We arrived later than we had hoped to, but were able to call ahead. We got there just as Sheila was about to leave, but she welcomed us graciously. The room was comfortable - it was the room with the smallest bed but we slept very well. I was surprised by how quiet the house was, although it is on a busy street. Breakfast was very good, enhanced by conversation with Don and with the other guests. Because we arrived so late the first night and were "up and out" to get to the fairgrounds we didn't have as much time to see the house or chat with the hosts as some reviewers have described, but that wasn't due to any lack of warmth on their part. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I travel quite extensively and prefer to stay at bed and breakfasts. We love the unique quality of each place we visit and enjoy meeting the owners. Where we stay is important because it can make all the difference between a good vacation or a bad one. Generally, we have a great time and go back to the same b&b each time we return. However, this will not be the case this time.

We arrived on a very late flight, and had previously informed the innkeeper, Shelia, so we didn't expect to be greeted by a person. What would have been nice, though, when entering our room, was something other than a copy of our bill, marked paid in full, waiting on the pillow.

In every other place we have stayed there is usually a booklet, if not on the bed or in the room, at least in the lobby, describing the facility, things to do, etc.. Here there was nothing that explained where things were. We were totally on our own to figure things out.

The room itself was a bit disappointing, the furniture huge, dark and foreboding. The large armoire dwarfed the room, with a tiny tv, smaller than my computer monitor, tucked somewhere in the bowels of this monstrosity. The one window in the room started over 4 feet from the floor, and the view was of an alley way. The bathroom was the best part, with a whirlpool tub.

It was cold when we arrived and the bed had a thin sheet and spread. I couldn't find a blanket, although I was later informed by Mr. Hubbard that it was on the top of the armoire and "I should have been able to find it. That it was my fault, not his." Even, though the top of the armoire is way above my eye level.

Instead of receiving kind words and anything helpful, I received attitude every time I questioned or asked for anything. My first morning not only was I chastised for not knowing how things worked, but for asking for another pillow and complaining about the ants in the bedroom, which he accused me of bringing from New York. I was then told if I didn't like it I could leave. Unfortunately, as anyone traveling to NOLA knows, it is not that easy to find another place on such short notice. So we stayed.

Other such memorable moments of our five nights included Mr. Hubbard notifying us at breakfast that if we spilled any coffee we would have to clean it up and that breakfast was plain so if we wanted anything fancy we were out of luck. That much was true, the breakfast was one of the worst I ever had in my 20 years of bed and breakfasts. In fact, the two oatmeal cookies you get at a Best Western might be preferable.

When I booked the room I asked if there was a place where we could keep food and was told by Sheila that we could use the refrigerator. The only problem with that was, you could put the food there and they could also throw it out, which they did. Not only that, but the place had surveillance cameras everywhere -- not just at the entrance, but also the hallways, outside the rooms, in the kitchen, the dining room -- was this a b&b or a prison? I can understand a business or homeowner wanting to protect their property, and keeping a watchful eye, however it is a bit creepy when the owner can tell you of your comings and goings, which was done to us.

Sheila was the one bright spot, but unfortunately she is not the owner. Mr. Hubbard treated us as if he was doing us a favor in letting us stay in his place. He was rude, condoscending, and used every opportunity to make us feel uncomfortable, which shouldn't be the case when you are a paying guest in an establishment.

When we left he watched us as we packed and never even said thank you for paying for the opportunity of staying in his not so homey abode.

The one thing this place excels in is attitude, hence my review heading. I would recommend staying anywhere but here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed at the Hubbard for an extended weekend and found it to be absolutely beautiful! The design is gorgeous, and the rooms were everything we hope they would be! We switched rooms after our first night to accommodate another couple celebrating thirty years of marriage, which was fine by us. We knew this going in and did not have a problem whatsoever, plus it gave us an opportunity to spend the night in two different rooms. We stayed in the Victoria and Breion. Both were very comfortable. I had read where other reviewers recommended staying in the back rooms because of street noise, but we didn't experience that at all in Victoria. I did prefer the bathroom in Breion simply because of the larger size. Don and Sheila are like family. We immediately felt like we had known them forever. And what a life he has led! We couldn't get enough of his stories. And those eggs...whatever is in them, I need to find out because I've never had eggs that good in my life. Seriously. Anyway, whenever we go to NO again, this is where we will stay. We loved it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
San Dimas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Wow – They thought about every imaginable detail in creating this inn. The decor is absolutely gorgeous, comfortable and peaceful. It is perfectly located and has very easy access to the street cars.
This was our first experience at a bed and breakfast. I must say Don and Sheila exceeded our expectations. Don and Sheila's conversation, helpful tips and advice on where to go, what to do, and where to eat, helped us make the most out of our first stay in New Orleans. But the best part of the stay was being treated like family and a best friend. From the minute we walked in the door, we were greeted warmly and provided everything we needed for a wonderful stay. They gave us a tour and provided us a history of the mansion and their family. From the outstanding and gracious hosting, to the beautiful space they have created, we are grateful for this gift and happy to share it with you. Thanks Don and Sheila for an awesome experience!

Room Tip: All the rooms were awesome and peaceful.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We found the Hubbard Mansion B & B almost by accident, and never checked on this web site. The building is beautiful, hard to believe that it is less than 10 years old, the rooms are beautifully furnished with antiques, and breakfast was not only delicious, but the owner, Don Hubbard, is a fascinating person with whom to chat. Located in the garden district, across the street from a trolley stop, our first trip to NewOrleans was wonderful. When we do go back, we will return to the HUbbard Mansion>

Room Tip: the room pictures are posted online - take your pick!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hubbard Mansion? Share your experiences!