“Halloween in New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Parisian Courtyard Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Parisian Courtyard Inn
1726 Prytania St, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Longpre Guest House) (Lower Garden District)   |
Ranked #37 of 147 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Washington, DC
“Halloween in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I saw the pictures, and I knew how pretty the Garden District is, but walking through the front door of the Parisian Courtyard Inn was still a perfect thrill. This is a gem. Restored from a run-down hostel, it's a perfectly located oasis with balconies around the second floor, a grand staircase made for photos, and a double parlor with beautiful light. Each room is different and uniquely decorated (couples, try and book Room 4!).

I brought 10 of my friends with me to New Orleans for three nights over Halloween weekend, and we took over 5 rooms in this B&B. I can't say enough good things. Jesse bent over backward to be hospitable and take care of everything we needed (even so far as to let us use his computer to print out event tickets), Annette told us about its history over breakfast in the parlor, and Rose, the housekeeper, took such good care of the rooms and our stuff in our absence. Especially for the price, this is an unbelievable value. I'll stay here every time I come to New Orleans (and there will be many more times). My entire group was impressed - you should've heard the 'oohs' and 'aahs' when we checked in!

We took the streetcar (easy, and close), walked when we had time, called cabs when we didn't (never more than 5 minutes to call a cab). The neighborhood is quiet and beautiful.

Thanks, Jesse! We'll be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Harrisburg, PA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

This year marks my second stay in New Orleans, both of which I've spent at the Parisian Courtyard Inn, and I highly recommend it to anyone, especially those looking for a place to stay within walking distance but not shouting distance of some of the city's more... 'active' districts.

The building is gorgeous, a renovated 19th-century plantation house. The rooms are beautiful, and well-kept. Plenty of closet space and a minifridge, which can be a rarity but a lifesaver if you are collecting leftovers from the many great restaurants in the city.

It's about one block to the St Charles Ave streetcars if you want to use them to get up or downtown, but it's a shame not to just walk. Took me around 10 min to get to the warehouse district, 15-20 to Canal St, 25-30 to get the whole way across town to Frenchmen St. There's plenty of nice places in the immediate vicinity as well -- multiple coffeeshops and homey bar/restaurant type places.

In all, highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Abbottstown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I went to New Orleans for our 10th wedding anniversary. It was our first time there. The Parisian Courtyard Inn is in the Garden District. The part of town that this B&B appears to be in the midst of revitalization. This place was like a diamond in the rough. It is beautiful inside and out. The neighborhood close by, while not necessarily the most beutiful is quiet. The wold famous Streetcar is only one block over. We took the Streetcar to the French Quarter and Downtown eveyr day.We also took the Street Car as a way of viewoing the Garden District. We rode all the way from one end to the other. The Parisian has been restored to it's glory days. It is just beautiful. Jesse, the host was very accomodating. He arranged for a bottle of wine for us upon finding out it was our anniversary. The breakfast was a wonderful assortment of fresh fruit, pastries, cereal, yogurts, juices, etc. It was a great way to start the day when we had tours scheduled for early pick up. We stayed in the front room with the large balcony. It does cost a little more, but if you have the opportunity, I definately recommend that room. There really isnt much to see from the balcony, yet, but after a long day of walking and touring it was a nice place to just sit and enjoy New Orleans. I did alot of research on places to stay when I was planning our trip. I am so glad that I chose to stay here. It was perfect for our first New Orleans experience. Thank you so much!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

We were in town for 4 nights during Jazz Fest and loved our stay at the Inn. Staff were very friendly, and the room was spotless. Very comfortable room looking out onto enclosed patio. Bathroom was updated and had plenty of soaps/shampoos/etc. We will look forward to staying here again! Breakfast included fresh fruit, cereals, bagels and really good, fresh crescents. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a comfortable place near the Saint Charles streetcar line (1 block walk)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My daughter lives in New Orleans and I visit there often, but this was an unexpected visit. .she had a serious injury and was facing possible surgery, and I needed to get there within 48 hrs. because of the circumstances, I didn't want to stay in the Quarter, so searched for a B&B near my daughter in the Lower Garden District. With this short notice, I was getting desperate after several No Vacancies. Then we talked to Jesse, the insure manager/owner at the Parisian, and explained my situation. Needless to say, he made room at the inn, and after a few days upgraded me when some guests checked out. He and his excellent houeskeeper kindly and generously tended to my every need, and every time I returned from care taking I felt a sigh of relief as if I was coming home. The house and patio are lovely and comfortable, every room has access to a balcony or the patio, the breakfasts are delicious with the best croissants and fresh fruit in New Orleans. There are always treats of some kind in the beautiful double parlor for guests. It is a great location, quiet yet a block from the St. Charles parade route and street car. I have never stayed at a B&B before, and always stayed in the Quarter, but The Parisian will definitely be my choice on return trips.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

My partner & I stayed at the Parisian March 16-20. Many hotels were booked but rooom 10 in the Parisian was available. The reviews online were mixed so that did concern me..although many of the reviews were quite old.
The common rooms and the bedrooms have all been beautifully restored & furnished. Room 10 may be the quietest room since it is on the 3rd floor (2 1/2 flights of stairs). We had a chance to peak into a couple of the other rooms and they appear to be equally nice. The downstairs is well done & whoever did the work, had an excellent eye for scale; and for including lots of details without over doing it.
We interacted primarily two people - Jesse, the manager and Rose, the housekeeper. Both are friendly but not too forward. Jesse seems to make an effort to spend time with each set of guests who come down for breakfast, but he isn't a overly chatty person.
Breakfast included fresh cut fruit, cereals (Post, Kashi, Organic), muffins, breads, croissants, etc. All in all, a good continental breakfast. The housekeeper, Rose, kept the house very clean.
Location was good in that it was away from the chaos of the french quarter, but close enough for a short trolly ride in. (We enjoyed the inn so much, we spent more time than we expected there.)
Only suggestions that I would have for improvement were for them to use real china & silverware from breakfast rather than plastic & paper; and do a better job of presenting the cereals (you pour from the cereal boxes.)
The inn does have some outside seating, but the layout doesn't encourage using it particularly.
Two days we did take advantage of the free gym access at the St. Charles Athletic Club. (It was a miracle for us to go to the gym twice during a New Orleans trip!)
Overall, I'd give the property a A- or B+. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
shreveport
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

I first off would like to point out the great ime we had the first time we stayed here. I was August 2010. My boyfriend, dog and I stayed her for 4nights. It was an off season so we were one of only a couple rooms booked. Side note: they don't serve breakfast on the off season. So much for Bed and Breakfast.

When we first got to the room we initially picked, Jessie gave us a choice to move to a room on the ground level for our dog. We said ok and moved rooms. The second room smelled heavily of smoke. It was so bad my boyfriend had to leave the room because he had a hard time breathing. Jessie quickly moved us to his largest room with its own balcony. The rate was the same for a smaller room. Great Right? I was.

Jump to December....not that long. A day before we left for the trip, Jessie called us to make sure we were still coming because of the weather. I specifically said, "Yep. Me, the boyfriend and THE DOG are still coming." So we drive 6 hours and make our way to the front desk where a short, angry man named "Mack" told us they they no longer allow dogs and we needed to take her to a kennel....wtf. I can not describe in writing how rude this guy was. After speaking to the housekeeper, Mack apparently is the other owner. Later we find out from Jessie that Mack "isn't allowed to talk to customers." This would have been nice to know.

After finding out they changed the pet policy 5 minutes before we walked in, Mack proceeds to, in the rudest tone you can amagine, make a deal with us on prices. First he said they would cover the cost of boarding. Then he said he would make the rate $75 a night. We couldn't have both. I am usually the type of person who will put up with crap like this but Mack's tone was so rude I told my boyfriend he might need to pull me off Mack.

Once agreeing on the money, we get ready to pay him. You know..since he is one of the owners and he is going over prices with us. Whoa, whoa, whoa! He doesn't handle money and we have to wait for Jessie to come back in 2hours!.

"it's a confusing place isn't?!" this is from the housekeeper to me when venting all of this to her.

We were supposed to stay an extra day but becasue we felt bad that we had to send our dog off to a pet resort instead of spending the time with us and devoting the trip to spending time all together, we decided to held home early. Jessie looked very annoyed when I told him.

Also, do not expect you room to be cleaned. We stayed four days and the trash wasn't taken out, new towels weren't given and linens weren't changed the entire time. What a change from August.

I would suggest to anyone thinking about staying here to think again. It is a great location, a great looking space but they really screw you over. This entire event ruined our new years, ruined our time in nola. This place is not worth the hassle you get from the owners.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Parisian Courtyard Inn? Share your experiences!