“Mistaken Endless Dark Night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection

You added The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   931 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #48 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
UK
“Mistaken Endless Dark Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

First let me say this loud and clear...this hotel has the nicest staff going. I have been told that this is part of Marriott chain. This hotel take a play of the french quarter dark side. calling it The Saint is far from the intentions. The decor is a cross of modern Art Deco cross with gothic Ann Rice thing going on. The web site pictures are true to form. The decor kinda work. The green lobby sitting area is nice with it extra large leather couch...it a shame the carpet had seen better or rather cleaner day...shampoo would not go miss. The lobby is a big open space section by flowing white curtains. The two show pieces is the bar absolutely burlesque. Lovely place to meet each day for a drink after a long day site seeing or pre-dinner drink. The bar offers entertainment from mid week. Really some the performers need to do a sound check as the volume got to been too loud to sit and enjoy.

The lift/elevator play 1940 movies...really cool. The room decor had a king room on 3rd floor to be exact 307. My window over looked the roof...it would be nice if they could develop this area...it was interesting that at some time during my 7night stay they hotel did just that and but a air condition in a box to add to the bare decor.

The designer choice of blue and white was a bold selection. The white sheer net curtains needed changing as they were dusty. The room came with a minibar with but the refrigerator had a slight order to it. The carpet by bathroom door needs to be relaid as the carpet spike were exposed. The white high gloss furniture had seen better days and needed to be replaced as chip marks was covered with white glossy paint. The glass desk top covered an old picture of New Orleans needed to be replaced...some liquid had stained underneath on the first night it appear that this had not been clean in a while as dust was on the clock and the glass was dirty. For a king room only had one robe and one set of towels. Had to ask the maids for extra towels in the morning to place another set towels and toiletries ...let be for real New Orleans in July you need a shower at least twice a day so one need more bath/ shower gel.

In general, this is a weekend hotel. The hallways have blue lights and purple ceiling it gave the impression of a seedy dark ally way...which is cute for two days but at day seven I found myself running to the front door to get sunlight. Had a very nice gym.

The hotel missed a trick by not offering a decent hot breakfast...22.00 Buffet breakfast really, no wonder the restaurant was empty. I had three hotels on my browser with Expedia I hit the enter button and then I realised what I had done - selected this hotel...decided to go with fate. Like the hotel my stay was Saintly and Devilish. For the price that this hotel is commanding then it need to pay more attention to detail and cleanliness. Put white lights in the hallways...you would still have the back ally look but at least the guest will not crave sunlight. Change the curtains and replace the furniture that has been poorly touched up.

Also the policy where some has to give your name and room number to be connected to your room is stupid. I was there for a wedding and holiday. My family only had my name ...so like why could I they not be connected to my room. The lame excuse by the front desk clerk that that was a security measure is idiotic...thank for me pay 15pence a minute to call the relatives to give them my room number so they could ring me...really made me wonder what type of people stay at the hotel that full name and room number was needed before you are connected to a person's room.

I wish I could transport the staff to another location...the rooms need to be updated, carpet changed and the room cleaned properly...I would stop by for a drink but would not stay there again there are too many competitive hotel that I am sure keep their room in good repair this room for the price that I paid

Room Tip: If you must stay ask for street view ask to move if on the 3rd floor looking over the roof
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Kate A, Director of Sales at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at The Saint Hotel during your visit to New Orleans. Thank you for your comments about our wonderful staff and Burgundy Bar! Also, thank you for bringing some situations you dealt with to my attention. I will speak with my Housekeeping and Maintenance staff immediately. The staff is trained through Marriott standards with security questions in regards to your room number being asked. We only do that for our guests safety and privacy. Again, thank you for your all of your comments and have a wonderful day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
New Orleans, la
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

My husband booked this hotel for us to stay downtown for my birthday. As locals, we like to stay at different hotels in downtown New Orleans for staycations now and again. I must say that this one is one of my favorite. The location is great. Walking distance to the French quarter and the warehouse district. The whole vibe of he hotel is very hip and cool. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. In addition, the staff here was great. You shield definitely consider this hotel for your trip to New Orleans!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
We are delighted you had such a wonderful birthday staycation at The Saint Hotel!! Thank you for your comments about our location, cleanliness, comfortable beds, hip vibe and great staff! We look forward to you visiting again soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

We stayed at the saint on my birthday in July and the staff was amazing, they were all super friendly and helpful. The only complaint I have is that the sheets on our bed had a (pretty gross) stain on them when we first got to our room (I won't go into details about the type of stain, but definitely gross)

Otherwise... we had a great time and loved the décor (especially the giant chair)

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us at The Saint Hotel! We appreciate your comments about our décor and friendly staff! I do apologize for the situation you encountered, I do hope the staff was able to get that taken care of for you. I hope you visit The Saint Hotel again soon!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I have no complaints about this hotel. The service was amazing and it was extremely clean. The location is great. Just a few blocks away from bourbon. The staff also suggested to eat at Deanies. It was fantastic and very close to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014
Kate A, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
We are delighted you had such an amazing stay with us at The Saint Hotel. Thank you for your comments about our location, cleanliness, and wonderful guest service! We hope you come back and stay with us again soon!
Midwest City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I agree with other reviews that this hotel is a bit "different". And it is not a place a family with children would choose to stay! Our bathroom had a piece of art- a man climbing a rope right above the toilet! And they are working on the rooms so that you can play music from your own smartphone via Bluetooth. As it is, the shower head is colored and will flash red light if someone enters the hotel room while the shower is running! That being said, the lobby offers some fun places to relax, including a library, an oversized chair and a pool table. There is no swimming pool or hot tub in operation at least not that we could find. The Burgundy (accent on the 2nd syllable) Bar is fun, CC is great and we happened to be able to hear the usual Thursday night band all weekend, they were very entertaining in the Rat Pack style. Other fun stuff is that the elevators have TVs running clips of old black and white movie classics and they change out the rugs in the elevators- daytime is "play naughty" nighttime is "sleep saintly" which is also on the throw at the foot of the bed. No need for hotel breakfast, head to Ruby Slipper out the door and right! And you are so close to so many other restaurants! Try the fried oysters at Cajun Mike's across Canal and down a street! We will go back!

Room Tip: Wish we'd asked to see the funky suites.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kate A, Director of Sales at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about you wonderful stay at The Saint Hotel!! We appreciate all your comments about our location, unique lobby spaces, elevator TV's, overall décor and of course the Burgundy Bar! The Yat Pack is such a fun band, we are delighted you had the chance to enjoy seeing them. Also thank you for your kind words about CeCe, she is such an asset to our team! Please come back and visit us again soon!!
Crystal Lake, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This hotel was in a great location. We took the train in from Chicago and it was very close to the train station. The Hotel is a combination of gorgeous and funky! We had a room with a street view. The view was great, but you could hear the street noise. Our friends had a room not on the street and they said their room was quiet. My only fault, and that is because I'm old...lol... Is that the hallways are very dark because of the lighting. It was hard to see once you got out of the elevator to get to your room. Other than that I thought it was great. The staff, from the front desk to the maids were approachable and very nice. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because of the lighting.

Room Tip: We had a room that faced the street. The view was great, but you could hear the street noise. Our fr...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
We are delighted you had such a wonderful stay at The Saint Hotel during your NOLA getaway!! Thank you for your comments about our location, funky and gorgeous décor, and nice staff! We hope you come back and visit us again soon!
Göteborg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Very nice lobby but that is about it.
Staff who are rude and have no routin or knowledge about service made or visit to New Orleans less enjoyable,

They are some really nice hotel around this area and I really recomend to chose another one, Ritz or Hilton have the same price range but play in another divison about taking care of their hotel guests

Stayed August 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience. I apologize you felt the staff lacked knowledge; I do wish you would have brought this situation to our attention during your stay. We would have loved to discuss these details with you to make sure you enjoyed the remainder of your stay. Thank you for your comment about our lobby. We hope you come back and visit New Orleans again.