“Great Hotel....but hesitant to recommend” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection

You added The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   931 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #49 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Bend, Oregon
“Great Hotel....but hesitant to recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed at The Saint Hotel in October 2013 for 4 nights and really enjoyed my stay there for the most part. The rooms were clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated. The staff was always friendly and very helpful. It was a little noisy at times during night (noise outside the hotel), but I think that is to be expected being a few blocks from Bourbon St.

What kept my overall stay from being a great experience was that I was double-billed for my stay and the time and effort it took to clear this up. I had pre-paid for my reservation several months prior and was charged again a few days after checkout.

When I called the hotel to attempt to clear this up, I was first told that I must have had unresolved room incidentals charged to my credit card ($1,200+). I told them this was not the case. I was then put on hold for approximately 30 minutes.

After being on hold I was told that they 'think' they have identified the issue and that a manager would review and call me back. I never received a call back or a valid explanation as to why the issue occurred in the first place. I had to call my credit card company, Travelocity and eventually the hotel back to get confirmation that this issue was cleared up.

I understand at times there will be the occasional issue that arises that is outside of our control. But the manner in which issues are dealt with should be in a courteous, expeditious and professional manner. Unfortunately that was not my experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at The Saint Hotel. We appreciate your comments about our friendly staff. I apologize for the mix-up on the billing and thank you for bringing this to my attention. I hope you do give us another chance the next time you are in New Orleans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

A beautiful boutique hotel on Canal St. We stayed to be close to the Saenger for Book of Mormon. It is literally next door. A beautiful hotel, rooms are spacious and offered a beautiful view down Canal St. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a view of Canal St
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
We are so delighted you had such a nice stay at The Saint Hotel while you were in town for the Book of Mormon! Thank your comments about our location, decor and beautiful rooms. We hope you come back and stay with us again soon!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed here for a brief work trip and the location is absolutely prime - two blocks from Bourbon street and an easy walk to Jackson Square. That was the extent of what I had time to do while in New Orleans, so I appreciated how close everything was.

The staff is fantastic here, very postiive and helpful. I had a lovely conversation with a new bartender as she was training and traded funny stories about Halloween. I can't recall her name, but she's a modern dancer and used to dance ballet: if you see an intimidatingly pretty redhead bartender, talk to her. The concierges, doormen and even cleaning staff are all poised and ready to assist with whatever. They get massive thumbs up from me.

The hotel itself. The decor is super fun. Elevators either play old Louis Armstrong performances or an Elvis black-and-white move (when he was still Hot Elvis) and the music in the lobby is upbeat and fun. The only reason this isn't a five star review is because I found a nail (as in finger/toenail) on my bedspread when I went into my room after a 14-hour day of working and traveling. I'll admit I just kicked it off the bed and passed out from sheer exhaustion, but that was really gross. Unexpected, too, seeing as the rest of the hotel and room were fantastically clean.

I'd recommend staying here to anyone. Huge thanks to the Saint staff for a great introduction to New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We are so delighted you had such a nice stay at The Saint Hotel. Thank you for all of your comments about our location, decor and helpful staff! Our bartendars are so wonderful, I am glad you were able to have such a lovely conversation. I will speak with my housekeeping staff in regards to your room and appreciate you bringing that to my attention. Thank you again and please come back to visit The Saint!
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I travel weekly for work and am a platinum Marriott member so I see a lot of hotels. I'm a huge fan of the Autograph Collection because I feel they are a step above but this one doesn't live up to what I've experienced at other Autograph Collection hotels in the past. There are a few things that could really make it a nice place to stay.

Check in: easy and quick but nobody asked to see my id so I could have been anyone checking in. I'm also eligible for a "welcome gift" when I check in (typically I chose extra points) but nobody mentioned it. I had to remind them I had a "welcome gift". I'm also eligible for an upgrade if one is available. I asked and nobody even acknowledged my request. I know it's only if available but at least address my question. They just said nothing! I asked if there was a concierge lounge and nobody knew what I was asking. One guy said "that's me! I can make your dinner reservations". Apparently the answer is no but I'm still not sure.

The room: our room was just fine. Good sized and clean. There was only one bar of soap the entire week so we had to keep putting it in the shower and taking it out for the sink. Maybe they try to get past that with shower gel but we aren't shower gel people and I'm sure we aren't the only ones so an extra bar of soap would be awesome. I did think it strange that there was only one robe.

The doormen: I'm not sure if they are to open the door or not at The Saint. More often than not the doormen were on their phones and either completely ignored us or made such little effort that I'd wave them off because I'd already be in the building before they bother to make the effort.

The bar: we had a good experience at the bar. Nice bartenders. Friendly. Fast.

Restaurant: we didn't eat in the restaurant and it appeared that nobody else did either. I didn't see one person in the restaurant in the 4 days we where there. Maybe it's because it's New Orleans and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a good place to eat.

Location: perfect location. 2 blocks to Bourbon, 2 more to Royal.

I'd stay there again to see if they improve to the standard of other Autograph Collection Hotels and if not The Ritz is right next door.

(note I didn't intend to rate the pool as I don't even know if there is a pool but for some reason it won't allow me to unrate it)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay at The Saint Hotel. Thank you for your comments about our location and bar. Thank you for being a Platinum member with Marriott- we take pride in being part of Marriott's Autograph Collection. I appreciate your comments and I will speak with my Front Desk Associates because we always recognize our Marriott Members and I apologize that you did not receive that level of service. We do hope you come back and stay with us again.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is really a neat hotel, I have stayed at this hotel about 6 times. Easy access to Bourbon Street. A very cool cosmopolitan hotel with great views of Canal Street. I always try to book this hotel first when I travel to New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
We are delighted you enjoy staying at The Saint and continue to come visit us! Thank you for your comments about our vibe and location. I hope you come back again soon!!
Peace River
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This gorgeous little gem, tucked into the edge of the French quarter is a sleek modern take on decor with sweeping textiles, a sexy lounge with red Chandeliers, Champagne by the glass and great nightly entertainment.
The service here is warm and inviting - I would defiantly re-book.

My only criticism would be the room service is severely slow but then, who goes to New Orleans to take in the room service menu?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
We are delighted you had such a nice stay with us at The Saint Hotel! Thank you for you comments about our modern decor, sexy lounge and inviting staff. Please come back and see us again soon!
Kensington, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The hotel is newish and stylish. The rooms were a good size, and my corner room had a nice view of the downtown. It is in a good location, next to the Ritz at Burgundy St., convenient to the streetcar, Bourbon Street and many attractions and restaurants; however, Canal St. is noisy at night if you get a room at the front. I do not like how low the lighting is throughout the hotel. The blue lighting in the hallways makes it hard to see much of anything, even who was knocking at my door. The rooms had but two small bedside lights and a very dim desk lamp. Even one more floor lamp would have been much appreciated. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and much appreciated. However, my room was not as clean as it should have been. The carpets were not well vacuumed, and I found bits of popcorn on the floor by the bed and in the bed frame itself.

Room Tip: Canal Street is noisier than other rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at The Saint Hotel. Thank you for comments about our location and helpful staff. I will speak with my Housekeeping staff immediately about your message. We hope you come back and stay with us again!

Been to The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!