“Great location with a cool vibe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection

You added The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   931 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #49 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
“Great location with a cool vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Saint is a hip hotel right on Canal Street and just a block or so from Bourbon without the chaos of a W hotel. The lobby bar is cozy and hip and their speciality pool table is right in the lobby. Check in was smooth and our room was comfortable with a cool design- not an old New Orleans feel though. If you are looking for authentic, old Big Easy this is not your hotel. The room has exposed brick and mirror wall with huge windows (not a good view, but it was quiet). The bathroom is basic size but updated so it feels nicer than it is. The bellmen were super helpful and kind. I called for help with dinner and was told there wasn't a concierge but they would work on it but I never got a phone call back? I think for a fun weekend (we were there for Jazz Fest) it is great and easy with a cool feel and a good location. We could walk to Bourbon, Jackson Square and even Frenchman's street (we like to walk). I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for Canal Street if you want a view but be prepared for noise!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your weekend at The Saint! We are so delighted you had such a nice time during Jazz Festival weekend. We appreciate your comments about our location, cool vibe and friendly staff! We hope you come back and visit us again soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Seattle WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

First the positives: location, flair, high design, upbeat staff, quality of guest room.

With its collage of Miami Beach-Philippe Starck-Standard Hotel design touches, I really enjoyed the playfulness and chic atmosphere. It was backed up by a staff that genuinely seemed to want to smile and greet you at each encounter; everyone from the maid, handyman, valet, front desk, and breakfast waiter. That is impressive.

Nothing like staying in a brand new hotel; you know the feeling.

Now if they could work on a few things in the guest room:
•Free WIFI in the room is sluggish and times out, especially when people get up and when they start the evening.(?)
•The shower took 5 minutes to produce warm water.
•The lighting was insufficient, especially for general light in the middle of the room, desk light LED was too dim, & only one reading light, on one side of the bed.
•Only sitting chair was a modern desk chair which was not all that comfortable.
More positives about my room: comfortable bed, quiet fan unit in the wall, view window onto Canal Street (without any noise), interesting regional artwork, great flat screen TV and reception, sophisticated furnishings design.

My sleep was restful & quiet, contrary to what I read from other reviewers about 'partying' noises.

I've tried 4 other New Orleans hotels on business for 2 to 3 nights. This may just be my new favorite. Marriott is truly raising the bar.

Room Tip: View of Canal Street. 3rd floor has the exercise room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
We are so delighted you had such a nice stay with us at The Saint Hotel and are so excited to be your new favorite hotel in New Orleans!! Thank you for your comments about our location, decor, amentities and upbeat staff. I will discuss all of your comments with our staff and have our IT guy look into our Wi-Fi! We hope you come back and visit us again soon!
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

First off, let me say this location is fantastic. It is not right on Bourbon st, which means you can actually get to it by cab at night but it is just the right amount of distance that you can make it back in a drunken stupor. The Hotel ambiance is eclectic with a huge chair/Throne in the lobby that makes you feel like you are Alice on a mushroom. The mood of the hotel is also interesting. Setting a kind of neo classic transcendentalism meets Monet sort of feel. Think Thoreau on acid that puked blue. In fact, if you were tripping on acid, I have a feeling you would discover Nirvana while walking down the hallway of this hotel.

The staff was nice, albeit not always helpful, and the beds were comfortable and spacious.

Now, for the complaints.

Day 1

I had booked 2 rooms. One through a third party source and the other directly with the Hotel. The third party room was pre paid and the other room was not. You would think this was discovering the Arc of the Covenant because the receptionist had no idea what to do. She checked me in, I gave her my credit card and she said it was declined. Odd, I thought. I gave her another card..... Declined again. So I gave her a card I knew couldn't be Declined, my AMEX. Guess what? Declined again! hmmmm... I call my bank. Bank says no decline on record and there is a hold of $200 from the hotel. I am puzzled. She calls the Manager who comes out and takes my card and goes back to figure it out. By this time, 40 minutes has passed and I'm still standing by the front desk not checked in (despite the fact that one of the rooms is prepaid.) The manager comes back and says he's fixed everything and all is fine. Close to an hour later, we were in our rooms. I forget about the incident and go about our trip.

Day 2.

My friends and I are drunk, thanks to the wonderful hospitality of Bourbon St. We stumble to Brunch around 11. On the way out we put the sign on the door asking for the rooms to be cleaned and we ask one of the maids what time she expects it to be done. She says no later than 3pm. Fair enough we thought. We get back at 5,room still not clean. No worries, we get dressed and go out for the night and asked them to clean the room and forget about the incident.

Day 3.

Again, we awaken to a drunken stupor. On this day, we were planning on checking out ONE of our TWO rooms since some of us are leaving. There are two bills under our door. Odd I thought. We prepaid for one of the rooms, there should only be one bill. We consolidate our belongings into one room before headed out for Brunch. We stop by the front desk to ask about the two bills and we were told it was a mistake and there would only be one bill since the other room was prepaid. Fair enough. We check out of the one room and go out to town, after putting up the sign that we wanted the room cleaned. We return at 5pm, room still not cleaned. We call the front desk, they apologized and said they would have someone take care of it. I leave for the airport so I don't know how my friends found the room when they returned to the hotel.

Now flash forward to Present day. ONE full week after the stay at the hotel. I logon to my credit cards and lo and behold. I have THREE, count them, THREE, pending charges for EACH of the three cards I handed the girl that she said was "Declined." And this is for the room that was PREPAID. So I've already paid for the room and now I have THREE more pending charges. Now granted they are Pending so it may still fall off, but it has been SEVEN full days and it is still there. Plus, I was told the charges were Declined when I checked in. Obviously, they were not declined. To put the cherry on the cake, the room that was NOT prepaid, was incorrectly charged. They overcharged exactly 200 more than the receipt I was given.

If you do check into this hotel, I recommend you book either all through third party or all directly if you have more than one room. Apparently, trying to split the booking methods causes large amounts of confusion that they do not seem to understand. I'm still trying to resolve this issue.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay and bringing these matters to our attention. We do apologize for the confusion and will have this matter resolved immediately. I have discussed your comments with our staff. I do hope you give us another chance in the future.
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The Saint is part of Marriott's Autograph collection. Its located on Canal, just a block from Bourbon Street. The location is perfect. The lobby is fantastic, with a billiards table, romantic bar and excellent restaurant. We had breakfast there, and there were healthy choices as well as New Orleans specialties. Our room was small, but well appointed with a good use of space. My only issue with the Autograph collection is the habit they have of offering souvenier items for sale in the room. The Saint offered us the opportunity to purchase a highly overpriced nightshirt and/or baseball cap. I am used to mini bars with sensors and overpriced water bottles in hotel rooms, both of which are annoying enough, but I really prefer my room not be turned into a shopping mall. Other than that, only other complaint is lack of a make up mirror. Note to hotel designers: women travel alot. The service was great, the staff friendly and the music in the lobby just perfect. Its a great choice and I would stay therd again.

• Stayed April 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience at The Saint Hotel. Thank you for your comments about our location, beautiful lobby, breakfast, music and friendly staff! We hope we have the opportunity to provide your lodging accommodations in the future.
Woodstock, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The Saint is a fantastic place to stay. The property sits next door to the Ritz Carlton on Canal St and is a short walk down to Bourbon St. There is a turn down service with chocolates and fresh towels should you need them. The rooms are terrific as long as you appreciate a more contemporary aesthetic. The rooms have safes, in room Kurig coffee makers and very nice glass door showers. With all of that said, dont stay at The Saint because of the amenities, stay because of the staff and the service. The staff is the most hospitable I have ever seen which includes staying at numerous Four Season's, Ritz Carlton's and St. Regis properties. Darryl, the General Manager has obviously put his time in to hiring fantastic people. The Valet Manager (whose name escapes me) was engaging and helpful. The stand out individual was Robert, the bell boy/door man. Robert went out of his way to recommend a room and when the room was not exactly what we wanted, he found another even nicer room. Robert greeted me every day that he worked by my name, he made dinner reservations for us and overall made the experience very much like being at home. Was everything perfect....no, but the staff made every effort to make everything right. Darryl, you are to be commended. Best to you and your staff.

Room Tip: A room that has a 5 or 3 as the last number will put you in a larger room that does not face Canal S...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at The Saint Hotel. We are so delighted you had such a nice visit! We appreciate your comments about our location, decor, amenities and above all staff service. We strive to provide excellent guest service at our property. I will let Robert know your kind words. Please come back and visit us again soon!!
Waterford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I didn't stay here, but next time we're in town we will for sure. When we come back it will be our 7th time in New Orleans. I just had to write and say what an awesome time we had at the Burgundy Bar, quite by accident. We were in N'awlins in March of this year for a conference, and one night, a Thursday I believe, we had just finished dinner and were walking to another bar for a late night cocktail, when my wife and I heard what sounded like the music of Frank Sinatra. When we approached the front window of the Burgundy Bar, there they were. An 8 piece band called "The Yak Pack" belting out some amazing big band music. As we were watching, the slide trombone player noticed us standing outside, smiled at us, and motioned us to come inside. Man am I glad we did. We had such an awesome time. The lead singer has an amazing voice and a cool sense of humor. The band sounded amazing, and they even invited a woman who was sitting at the bar to come up and sing with them. She was fabulous. The drinks were great and my wife and I even danced a few songs. We stayed until the very end, and that's another thing. The band kept playing song after song after song. None of this 5 songs and were taking a 30 minute break nonsense.
I would absolutely come back and stay there, if for nothing else than to see "The Yak Pack" again. So thanks again for an awesome evening my wife and I won't soon forget.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Darryl H, General Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your night out at the Burgundy Bar! We are so delighted you and your wife had such a fun time. The Yat Pack is awesome- they play here every Thursday night. We hope you come back to enjoy the Burgundy Bar and stay with us at The Saint!!
chicago illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night on a business trip. This was an unexpected and pleasant surprise. First, let me just say I was impressed by the friendliness and approachability of the staff. Always greeting you, asking if you need something AND following through when you do need something. As someone who spends a lot of time in hotels , this is a plus. The rooms are clean, white and well appointed. Wifi works wonderfully, coffee service in room (yay!). There is a safe for your valuables. Big awesome mirror over the bed. The bathroom had me at hello - finally, a glass shower door. I am a firm believer that a hotel cannot call themselves a 4 star or above without one. Shower curtains are just too, well unsanitary. Large walk in shower was a major bonus. Great premium bath products including shower gel. Fitness center small. 2 treadmills, some other cardio, free weights only. More than a few people would feel cramped. Awesome bar, mediocre restaurant (both service and food). No concierge lounge here. I know, it's a party town- but the black light lit hallways are a little off putting in the daytime. But hey- it's New Orleans. I never begrudge anyone else their party - until it impacts me. Which brings me to the poorly insulated walls - squeaky bed banging the wall, noises from the room next door. At 10 am, 11 pm - no time was off limit to my amorous neighbors. Consider earplugs if your ears are tender. The location is good - everything is clean and the vibe fun and funky. I would stay again, and likely will the next time around. Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay with us at The Saint Hotel! Thank you for your comments about our friendly staff, decor and great bathrooms! We apologize that your neighbors kept you up and thank you for letting us know. I will speak with my staff in regards to this situation. We hope you come back and stay with us again soon!!

Been to The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!