“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   931 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #53 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
San Diego, California
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

From the doorman to the front desk - the staff at the Saint were very welcoming. Rooms were a good size and the toiletries were of a good quality. I had let them know we were celebrating our anniversary and there was sparkling wine and fresh fruit in our room when we arrived. As everyone else mentions, the lighting inthe halls is a little different. The location was fantastic! A couple of blocks from Bourbon Street, but also the St. Charles street cars and buses for easy access to places like the French Market and other areas of New Orleans. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MCB0779, Director of Sales at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hi!!

Thank you so much for staying with you! So happy you liked the champagne and fruit. :)

I hope we have the honor of having you stay with us again!!

Michael Benedetti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Please know I LOVE Marriott. I don't travel much on business anymore, but when I do I'm a "slave to Marriott" because of their strong loyalty program and dependable standards of quality.

Boy are they blowing it with The Saint here in New Orleans. First, it is a little too trendy for it's own good...the hallways are painted dark blue and one needs a flashlight to navigate. Second, movement in the next room sends shock waves across the floor...reminded me of aftershocks experienced when I lived in California. Third, not very clean. some trash in the hallway and when I dropped my white napkin in the restaurant I experienced firsthand just how dirty the floor was.

However, the thing that really ticks me off is my experience in trying to get a hold of the manager to tell him that my room - 602 - had some kind of critter in the bed. Bedbugs, fleas, spiders. All I know is that I've been itching since my first night in that room...bites up and down my arms and my neck. When I asked to speak to the manager the first time this morning, I was told that he had not arrived but would be in about 7:30. At about 8:00 I asked to speak to the manager, still not in. Both times, I told the desk person of my concern. So, when I came back at 12:30...the manager was in and the desk person went to fetch him. But, rather than come out of his office to talk to me, he sends his desk person to tell me that I need to speak to Housekeeping. What????!!!!

Methinks this manager hasn't a clue what Marriott expects in the way of customer service. I thought I was doing them a favor by letting them know of this issue; a thank you and I'm sorry was my expectation. NOT you need to speak to Housekeeping.

Rant over.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Madam:

Thank you for writing your review.

I would like to address what you experienced in your review. While I will accept the restaurant napkin situation, what I feel we need to really address is the bed bug/flea allegation.

We do not and never have had bed bugs or fleas of any kind. Immediately after hearing your concerns to the desk and management, we had our pest control company visit the property. and they found no signs of any infestations or activity and we were given the "ALL CLEAR" that same day.

In addition, no member of our housekeeping staff or staff in general has shown signs of any bites that would relate to infestation or activity.

When you initially brought your concern to our front desk agent, she went to find a member of management. Our Manager on Duty that morning was our Executive Housekeeper who quite coincidentally well versed on bed bugs as she has been in the industry for 30+ years. Our understanding is you were insulted about the idea of speaking to a "housekeeper" Our General Manager, when he returned to property, immediately tried to contact you and spoke with you on your way to the airport to assure everything was okay. Since that time, we have reached out to you and will continue to reach out to you in order to insure you are alright.

The Saint Hotel did everything in accordance to our safety and guidelines in regard to your complaint. Again, we do not and never have had bed bugs or fleas of any kind.

Palmdale, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Saint Hotel, one of the Autograph Collection (Marriott Hotels) is a new member to the collection. I am a Marriott Rewards Member and wanted to experience the newest in the collection even for one night. I was in New Orleans for six nights. (AARP Convention) The first night was at this property then over to the Renaissance Pere Marquette Marriott for five nights. (will review next)

I am writing this weeks after the fact. My stay at this beautiful property was on 9/18. The dinning room was quite nice and the room tastefully done, very up scale. All that said, the issue. Tuesday evening before bed, I saw a small cock roach on the curtain. I got beyond that as I found none on or near the bed. I love beds raised above the floor. I did notify the front desk that night. On Wednesday morning, after taking my shower, I see a large cock roach crawling on the bath room floor. I tried several times to kill it but they move fast. Fortunately, after about 20 minutes, I was able to kill it with my shoe and left it there so management could see my concern. Again, I notified the front desk. After breakfast, I notified Katey Urquhart, at the front desk to convey my concern and requested to see the manager. Eric Wilson, General Manager accompanied me up to my room and saw the huge dead cock roach and offered me the following..."with all the construction on Canal Street, it disturbs the pest in and around the trees and they find there way into the hotel." Now I was on the 8th floor so why are cock roaches finding their way up to this floor. Obviously their pest control does not work.

Needless to say, I could not wait to find my way out of this hotel. Since it was a short walk across Canal to Common Street, Johnny Williams, bellman assisted me with my luggage to the Renaissance. A very courteous and helpful man as were the other service staff at the hotel.

In retrospect, the two managers of this property were totally non responsive to a gold elite Marriott rewards member. Clean, non pest infested rooms is a must. Marriott usually goes out of it's way to make things right whether you are a rewards member or not. The general manager nor the front desk manager offered points or a reduction in the nights cost.

I visit New Orleans every two or three years. I have stayed at Residence Inn and Courtyard properties in this city before. Never this. Look for my review of the Renaissance Pere where I stayed five nights. Great property. Sorry to write this so late after my stay; however, I hope no one else has to be concerned with pest in their room. This hotel has all the potential in the world to be a special property within Marriott's collection.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sean Z, Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear retiredandhappy1:

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review, and I want to offer you my apologies for your experience at our Hotel. I raised the issued you had at our management meeting with the result that we are now implementing a revised procedure for pest control at our hotel. Again, I want to apologize to you, and please, the next time you come to New Orleans, do call me beore you arrive and I will personally take care of your stay with us.
So Cal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Upon arrival the lobby is beautiful with lots of hip, cool decor, but more emphasis needs to be put on training their employees. I don't need to be instructed about check out times and holds they put on my credit card. This is a 4 star hotel, right? The halls of hotel are like being in a haunted house with weird low lights. The room was nice and bright and bed was comfortable. Housekeeping was bad. Hair from previous guest in bathroom, didn't empty trash, mirrors smudged, left sink dirty. The location is good and price was right (Priceline), but I will skip this one next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I came to NOLA for the Chargers game and decided to stay here. Its on Canal street, about a 7 min walk to Bourbon street and a 15-20 min walk to Riverwalk.

I loved the 'feel' of the hotel. For those that have been to Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas, the feel is very similar but the Saint is on a small scale. There is a nice and 'happenin' bar downstairs and when we first walked in, we thought it was a great first impression. Its a small eclectic boutique hotel so please don’t expect tons of lobby sitting room (or really any sitting room for that matter) or a laid back restaurant to eat at. The staff seemed pretty scarce so beware.

The front desk person was nice but seemed like he was out of it. Still, he was very laid back so I welcomed that rather than an uptight rude person.

I liked elements of the room. I liked the view, loved the little couch/desk area, I thought the bed was comfortable and the colors very nice. The bathroom was OK but the most awkward and annoying thing was the toilet... it was not bolted down. Upon sitting on it, it would move, which unnerved but however, not enough to switch rooms (I had a view of Canal :) .

I didn’t appreciate the cleaning service. I think they could have done a better job at wiping down the countertops and desktops but overall, it was OK. However, on out 2nd day our cleaning staff hid our ' clean room please' sign as well as the request to change the sheets. Even though we personally asked that the room be clean on our way out, we came back with the room the same way we left it.

I tried ordering room service around 10pm one night and found that the kitchen had already closed. However, Daisy Dukes ( a 10 min drive, right across from the Marriott) and i Hop (1 block down on Canal) were good substitutes.

All in all a good stay for a small and new hotel. I would stay there again. Very sad about the Chargers though, they should have won that game :(

Room Tip: View of Canal street. Corner rooms are bigger!
Dear Travelbuglove83:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very pleased you had a "Great feel" at our Hotel. We appreciate your kind words. I am very sorry you had some concerns about the cleansiness of your room. I raised the issues you had at our management meeting and I want to assure you that we took appropriate measures to address your concerns. Please do let me know the next time you are in New Orleans and I will make sure you will have a great stay.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I recently celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary here. Hotel is very modern with a minimalist decor, very very clean, bed was super comfortable, tolietries in bathroom were divine.Hotel is very close to bourbon street and all the action. The valet is expensive as is with all the hotels in Nola but the valet guys were super nice and very friendly and informative. The front desk clerks could use some training on customer service or going the extra distance, by that I mean when we checked in I mentioned that we were celebrating a 10th wedding anniversary the gentleman looked at me blankly and said thats nice! I think had he offered two free drinks in the lounge that would have been a nice gesture on the hotels part to win over new customers since the hotel is new but overall a great stay and we will definitely be staying again.

Hi!

Thank you so much writing your review. We value and appreciate you! I would like to say Happy Anniversary to you. I wish I had known as I would have loved to buy you a drink. Please let me know when you will be staying with us again so I can buy you a drink.

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Marriott has added Autograph Collection hotels in major cities and over all they are good places to stay if you like to wake up and know the city you are in.

I moved from the JW to the Saint Hotel in New Orleans just for that reason. The hotel's decor is very chic but contemporary, clean with low light in the hall ways. Entering the lobby one gets the feeling that you are a saint with the sheer white panels hanging from ceiling to floor as room dividers. Bell hops are very friendly. Room and assessories are what you would expect in Marriott's uppper level hotels. This one had a server bar.

There is a cozy bar in the lobby and a restaurant. Give yourself plenty of time if going to breakfast here as it's a one person and service and based on the number of people in there you could have quite a wait.

If you are a Marriott Awards member forget about upgrades but I am told it may be added come January. No hospiatlity room but for the elite, breakfast from the restaurant will be taken off your hotel bill.

The only problem was the maids forget to leave a remote in the room but was corrected.

Location is good for the French Quarters or the shopping mall.

If you are not in to contemporary decor, than stay at the JW or the Marriott, which is only a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Opt for the outside facing rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MCB0779, Director of Sales at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hi,

Thank you for writing! We are happy to have you! its people like you that make us who we are and for that I thank you again!

Michael Benedetti

Been to The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!