“Great Feel and Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Expedia.com Booking.com
The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   931 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #58 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
San Diego, California
“Great Feel and Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I came to NOLA for the Chargers game and decided to stay here. Its on Canal street, about a 7 min walk to Bourbon street and a 15-20 min walk to Riverwalk.

I loved the 'feel' of the hotel. For those that have been to Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas, the feel is very similar but the Saint is on a small scale. There is a nice and 'happenin' bar downstairs and when we first walked in, we thought it was a great first impression. Its a small eclectic boutique hotel so please don’t expect tons of lobby sitting room (or really any sitting room for that matter) or a laid back restaurant to eat at. The staff seemed pretty scarce so beware.

The front desk person was nice but seemed like he was out of it. Still, he was very laid back so I welcomed that rather than an uptight rude person.

I liked elements of the room. I liked the view, loved the little couch/desk area, I thought the bed was comfortable and the colors very nice. The bathroom was OK but the most awkward and annoying thing was the toilet... it was not bolted down. Upon sitting on it, it would move, which unnerved but however, not enough to switch rooms (I had a view of Canal :) .

I didn’t appreciate the cleaning service. I think they could have done a better job at wiping down the countertops and desktops but overall, it was OK. However, on out 2nd day our cleaning staff hid our ' clean room please' sign as well as the request to change the sheets. Even though we personally asked that the room be clean on our way out, we came back with the room the same way we left it.

I tried ordering room service around 10pm one night and found that the kitchen had already closed. However, Daisy Dukes ( a 10 min drive, right across from the Marriott) and i Hop (1 block down on Canal) were good substitutes.

All in all a good stay for a small and new hotel. I would stay there again. Very sad about the Chargers though, they should have won that game :(

Room Tip: View of Canal street. Corner rooms are bigger!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean Z, Manager at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Travelbuglove83:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very pleased you had a "Great feel" at our Hotel. We appreciate your kind words. I am very sorry you had some concerns about the cleansiness of your room. I raised the issues you had at our management meeting and I want to assure you that we took appropriate measures to address your concerns. Please do let me know the next time you are in New Orleans and I will make sure you will have a great stay.

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I recently celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary here. Hotel is very modern with a minimalist decor, very very clean, bed was super comfortable, tolietries in bathroom were divine.Hotel is very close to bourbon street and all the action. The valet is expensive as is with all the hotels in Nola but the valet guys were super nice and very friendly and informative. The front desk clerks could use some training on customer service or going the extra distance, by that I mean when we checked in I mentioned that we were celebrating a 10th wedding anniversary the gentleman looked at me blankly and said thats nice! I think had he offered two free drinks in the lounge that would have been a nice gesture on the hotels part to win over new customers since the hotel is new but overall a great stay and we will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MCB0779, Director of Sales at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hi!

Thank you so much writing your review. We value and appreciate you! I would like to say Happy Anniversary to you. I wish I had known as I would have loved to buy you a drink. Please let me know when you will be staying with us again so I can buy you a drink.

My Best,

Michael Benedetti
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Marriott has added Autograph Collection hotels in major cities and over all they are good places to stay if you like to wake up and know the city you are in.

I moved from the JW to the Saint Hotel in New Orleans just for that reason. The hotel's decor is very chic but contemporary, clean with low light in the hall ways. Entering the lobby one gets the feeling that you are a saint with the sheer white panels hanging from ceiling to floor as room dividers. Bell hops are very friendly. Room and assessories are what you would expect in Marriott's uppper level hotels. This one had a server bar.

There is a cozy bar in the lobby and a restaurant. Give yourself plenty of time if going to breakfast here as it's a one person and service and based on the number of people in there you could have quite a wait.

If you are a Marriott Awards member forget about upgrades but I am told it may be added come January. No hospiatlity room but for the elite, breakfast from the restaurant will be taken off your hotel bill.

The only problem was the maids forget to leave a remote in the room but was corrected.

Location is good for the French Quarters or the shopping mall.

If you are not in to contemporary decor, than stay at the JW or the Marriott, which is only a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Opt for the outside facing rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MCB0779, Director of Sales at The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hi,

Thank you for writing! We are happy to have you! its people like you that make us who we are and for that I thank you again!

My Best,

Michael Benedetti
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am not use to luxury hotels but since my dad died a few weeks ago, I needed to get away and be pampered. I stayed 2 nights at this hotel and enjoyed it. Now a hotel room isn't my main concern when you are in New Orleans but knowing when I did get back in the early morning to a luxurious place helps. FYI, as it is located in the French Quarter, you will hear the music at night but I loved it!! The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was becuase of my experience with house keeping. I was returning to my hotel early in the morning and i would sleep in late and though i requested house keeping to clean my room they never did. I did spok to managment about it.

Room Tip: 38 dollars for valet parking but you can use the parking garage behind the hotel and pay 24 dollars...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hi Jake,

Thank you for staying with us! We are so honored to have you and look forward to your return!!

Michael
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had wanted to stay here as they had restored this old building. The lobby looks very cool and the rooms at first glance look great, but so many problems here and for such high prices, they should have higher standards

Security issue-- Elevators should be key access only, anybody can walk in off the busy street and into the elevators. Most times, no security in lobby to assure only hotel guests are going to rooms and often at front desk is one person, no concierge.
- air conditioning: no cycles, unless turned off it is constantly running, either too cold when running or too hot when off -- regardless of temperature setting
- In room dining -- no menu available/no in room breakfast menu

The most unsettling incident was a fire alarm went off at 7:45 am on Sunday morning -- guests evacuated calmly, by the time we got to the 3rd floor , it had stopped, but guests continued down to the street where there were no hotel employees there to address the situation. I walked back into lobby where there was no sign of any issues. The only desk agent there was completely unaware of the fire drill -- when asked, she knew nothing about it and wasn't taking any action to looking into matter, her response was "someone must've pulled the alarm, don't be mad at me about it". Fortunately it was a false alarm, but this was really rattling for guests that the workers at the front desk had no knowledge of building safety.

I expect that the management will probably respond to my comments explaining they are addressing everything, but based on past trip advisor comments that they are fixing things and my most recent stay, there are the same issues that continue. I hope they can turn it around, but lots to do.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi,

Thank you for writing in and informing us of your experiences at The Saint Hotel. We take all reviews very seriously.

In regard to your review, we have never received one about our fire alarms and drills. They are made to insure all guest safety and security. That day, we informed all guests that the alarm was called off. We followed standard hotel protocol and several times, made announcements everything was fine and in running order. We are happy and pleased with our fire departments response time and the response time of all staff. It was made very clear to each guest what happened. All staff knew our building safety as did the fire department.

In regard to hotel security, we have 2 on hand at all times (sometimes more).

We are a boutique property and our front desk and management offer concierge services. We book tours, limos, dining, movies, etc. for guests in need. This has never been an issue before.

In room dining menus are in each room and can also easily be obtained by calling Tempt or The Front Desk. Within minutes, you will have a new menu.

Thank you for writing and we hope to see you soon.

Michael
Tuscaloosa, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Don't know how anyone wouldn't love this hotel! Staff went out of their way to make our trip perfect. We had 10-12 couples, and they put our rooms together on 7th floor. Halls and elevators were always quiet. Rooms spotless- loved the Keurig coffee maker and the spa line bath products. We had couple minor maintenance issues with remote control and AC, and James was so sweet and had everything fixed in just a couple minutes. Lobby was amazing!! Thank you Saint for an awesome vacation!!

• Stayed November 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This place is beautiful!! The lobby is visually stunning. The rooms were small but clean, and well-appointed, beds were comfortable, and bathroom was adequate. The staff is not overly friendly, but I don't have any real complaints. The "business center" leaves a lot to be desired - a couple of Mac computers and a tiny printer located inside the lobby, so don't plan on getting much work done. It's a bit too far to walk to Bourbon and the French Quarter, but is just a $7-10 cab ride. The restaurant was just ok and rather pricey.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!