“What a great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection

You added The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   931 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #50 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
“What a great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

I read many review and I was worried about staying here for two nights. It turned out to be my best stay in new Orleans yet. My wife and I travel to new Orleans twice a year and we stayed at many different hotels. We stayed at 2 star to 5 star and nothing compared to this hotel. The staff was well trained and always assisted you. The valets knew many great places to dine and also told us about a few local spots. The room were very mondern and had a great view of canal street. The bar offered great live music and very good drinks.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

In February 2012 (2 weeks before Mardi Gras) we stayed at the newly opened The Saint on Canal St. The location is perfect for exploring the French Quarter. But, if you are expecting an elegant, luxury hotel inside the lovely historic exterior, you will be disappointed. The interiors are very trendy ... in the lobby, flowing curtain sheers (not uniformly hemmed) which gave an ethereal quality, Restoration Hardware furnishings, a pool table and a lovely little bar with "gnome" cocktail tables. The halls to the guest rooms feature blue lighting and the rooms themselves are stark white and very "sleek". Interesting, but not luxury. Our stay, hopefully, was unique because the property had just opened ... the hotel staff was very friendly, but, it seemed, not experienced in the hospitality industry and the evening crowd for the bar was very young. The hotel also has a lovely little restaurant Sweet Olive which we didn't have time to enjoy. Overall, not what we had expected, but an enjoyable (training) stay. I would stay again, maybe!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Upon arrival, I was a little leery no valet out front and inside the music from the bar was so loud I could barely hear the desk clerk to check in. The one valet did come back and parked the car but it was a little confusing.
At first the curtains in the lobby and the blue lights in the halls seemed a little much but after being in the French Quarter all day, coming back to the blue and white room was a peaceful experience. We were on a long road trip and this bed was the most comfortable of our whole trip.
Great location for seeing the French Quarter and right on the street car line. Keurig in the room was nice.
Too bad the band was so loud both nights ,we would have enjoyed sitting and having a drink but it was not pleasant in the lounge. Good thing you couldn't hear it upstairs.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

My friends and I checked into the wait hotel and were at aw from the beginning. The front desk was a very friendly and knowledgable group who offered things like restaurant reservations and taxis before we even asked. The rooms were nice and spacious. The maids came by daily to see if we needed additional towels. It was fantastic! Next time I visit NoLa, Im 100% staying there!

• Stayed June 2012
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We used points to stay June 7 - 10th. Our room was a nice change from the cookie cutter Marriott properties I stay in for work. Sure there were some minor issues, but I can pick apart every hotel room I check into. The only one worth mentioning was the recurring issue that the coffee K-cups were not replenished unless I made a call to the front desk.

The band in the hotel bar was way too loud and not that good. We moved to the lobby to escape, but it was too loud there too.

Elite members get free breakfast in the restaurant on weekdays. They did not inform me, I asked as it is a Marriott elite guarantee. The grits were incredible, the rest just okay.

The staff was friendly and helpful for the most part. They seemed a bit tentative with the guests.

The locations is great if your main purpose is Bourbon Street. The walk to Jeffererson Park, Cafe Du Monde and the French Market was a bit long.

Bottom line, we enjoyed the room and the novelty of the hotel decor. We would stay again, but will likely look further down Canal Street for our next visit.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the less noise you will hear from Canal Street
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Booked 3 nights for a bachelor party after reviewing several properties in the downtown area. I settled on this one due to the hotel being so new, it's proximity to everything, and being able to score it at only $159/night. Our party had 7 people, requiring 2 rooms, and this was also one of the few hotels I found that offered queen size beds as opposed to the standard doubles.

Arrived late on a Friday night and entered into the spacious lobby, which was a good first impression. Around the corner in the bar was a dimly lit area complete with live jazz music. I was told that we were the last of the hotel's "doubles" to arrive, so we were given rooms on the 4th and 7th floor, both interior facing. Though they had no view whatsoever, we didn't hear any of the street noise other reviews mention. Out rooms were quite large too, with plenty of room for everyone to spread out and put their bags. The room also had 2 chairs so everyone could sit without having to share space on the beds. Bathroom was very modern and everything (as pictures show) is done in white, from the chairs, walls, bedspreads, headboards, curtains, bathroom tiles, and yes, of course the towels. Being that the hotel is only 4 or 5 months old, this gave the room a very upscale and clean look, though I'm not sure how long the white will stand the test of time. Our room already had some red marks on the dresser, a visible coffee stain on the carpet, and some scuff marks from the little rope climbing man hung above the toilet in the bathroom.

From reading other reviews, the common theme as of late seems to be a lack of responsiveness from hotel management, but this was not visible at all in my 3 days here. At check-in, I asked about breakfast for being Gold, but was told no benefits on weekends. As consolation, I was given $15 in credit at the bar. Sure enough, after ordering drinks the next day, I asked the bartender to check and he took off $15 from our tab with no issues. We also had to call down for extra blankets one night. Not 10 minutes later, a knock at the door came and they were delivered. The front desk was also very willing to provide room keys for everyone in our party, and quick to give us late checkout when asked. Finally, though not always out front, the doormen were very good about getting doors and offering to help with directions. In short, this felt like a full-service hotel and management responded to every request that we had.

Not much else I can say - a very positive experience overall. I would definitely consider coming back here if future travels bring me to NOLA. Hopefully the rooftop bar will be open before long. Thats the only thing that could have topped my stay.

• Stayed June 2012
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

At first glance, The Saint looks great! Beautiful lobby, amazing decor. The bar and restaurant are stunning and sleek, as are the rooms. I happened in here the first week they were open, in January, but didn't stay then. This was my first stay. We were really looking forward to our stay.

We arrived Thursday night, and were greeted by Carl at the front door and Michael behind the front desk. Both were wonderful, outgoing and charming. Our teenage daughters "claimed" the first room we entered, which was a cool corner room with two walls of windows (room 820) and we were down the hall. Smaller room, only one wall with windows. Michael was quick to give us another corner room (520) and we were so grateful.

Dinner at the Sweet Olive was good, but not great. A disappointment because their sister restaurant, Coquette, in the Garden District, is one of my favorites in New Orleans. The manager was well versed in the menu and was helping the waiter, who was virtually clueless. Nice enough, but didn't know a trout from a drum fish. Maybe he should find another line of business because this is definitely not in his skill set.

The bar was great - live music Thurs - Sat nights. Very good bands, great service, reasonable prices and fabulous ambiance. We went around to the Ritz next door and the Sazerac across the street in the Roosevelt, and our bar was by far the best and most fun!

The only negative was the service as far as details. I know they are fairly new, and are maybe still working out the "kinks" but it's been 5 months, and it's time to get it together. Our girls' room was stocked with a full mini fridge and snack bar. Ours - nothing. I mean, not one bag of chips or bottle of water. We had a fridge and a snack tray, they were just both empty. We mentioned it upon check in and Michael said he'd have someone come stock it. They didn't. We mentioned it again the following day and the next. Still nothing! They seemed very sincere when we asked about it and said, "yes, we'll take care of it right away". Still nothing!

We had coffee and a light breakfast each morning before heading out. When we returned the first afternoon, about 3 pm, the room had been cleaned, but the breakfast tray was still there on our desk, with bread and toast scraps on the plate and the half empty cup of coffee. Maybe the person cleaning the room thought we might want to finish it when we returned? Anyway, we set the tray outside our door, and called down to let someone know to come pick it up. When we left for dinner at 6:30, it was still sitting there, and believe it or not, it was still there at midnight when we returned. The same (identical) thing happened the following day! We began to feel like we were living through "Groundhog Day".

The last morning, we went up to the 9th floor (the roof) to see how far they are on the construction of the pool and fabulous rooftop bar they mention on their website. It is not even under construction yet. Just a concrete slab and a boarded-up door when the elevator doors open. If you want a pool / bar, go to the W!

All in all, it was a good trip and I would stay there again, but hope they get their service together.

Best breakfast: the Ruby Slipper or Camellia's in the Quarter

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!