“Perfect location and amenities for our school group.” 4 of 5 stars

St. Vincent's Guest House
1507 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Lower Garden District)   |
Ranked #127 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
Seattle
“Perfect location and amenities for our school group.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

The staff at St. Vincent's took great care of our group (two adults and 12 high school students) during our recent stay. Travelers may trade the shiny new features of chain hotel when staying at St. Vincent, but this beautiful historic building has tons of charm. Not to mention the location, pool, laundry services, and courtyard. At twice the price it's still a amazing deal. A big bonus is the coffee shop right across the street. Rooms are simple and clean. 24 hour staff were kind and helpful. A great place to stay for a budget traveler.

• Stayed June 2010

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Dallas, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

I am a no or low-frills gal, but this place was unacceptable. I seriously question how this place continues to attract clients as it is indeed the worst hospitality establishment I visited anywhere in the world--worse than any place I stayed in the U.S., Mexico or Europe. Period. I organized my review into key points, so you can go with whichever topic is most important to you.

Making reservations: The hotel representative who took my reservation over the phone was the surliest, rudest hotel rep I have ever encountered, even worse than the one years ago who wouldn't rent a hotel room because he though we were Mexican. I should have known then that this would be a bad place, but I just thought it must have been a one-off person or a bad day for that person. The rep made sure to tell me that they were going to charge my credit card right then whether or not I showed up that evening. : /

Price: It was something like $100/night, which is inexpensive relative to other places. It was not worth ten dollars, however, and I would definitely spend the extra money for a better place, if I was you.

Location: The location was great and is the only reason to stay at this place. You are close to the bus stop, but the bus was over 25 minutes late, no joke. We just walked the additional blocks to the street car instead and took it around town. At least the place is located in a fun neighborhood with lots of shops and people walking around and hanging out.

Room: Unacceptable. Just unacceptable. And I am one of those people who stayed in hostels, lived on a mountain and worked on camp grounds and am not a wuss. Trust me. The room was bad, people. This is how stingy the room was: You know how no and low frills places just provide two little soaps and one tiny bottle each of cheap shampoo, conditioner and maybe lotion? Ok, this place had one of those little soaps and that's it. The tv did not have a remote. Oh, it wasn't the remote-chained-to-the-tv, which I've seen or the one that you have to check out from the front desk, which I've also done, but just completely absent. The bathroom had one roll of toilet paper. Frankly, I'm surprised they even gave us a towel. The bed was broken and at a steep angle on one corner but you couldn't see it until you sat on it. The sheet had a cigarette burn hole in it. Just unbelievable. Forget about in-room coffee machine or telephone. The wifi didn't work in the room at all, which really irritated me because I specifically asked if they had wifi. I still had to work and respond to client emails while on the trip. I had to sit right next to the desk on the first floor to get enough of a signal just to get the most basic online work finished.

Parking: There was a parking lot beside the building. No charge for parking. I wouldn't trust my car to be safe here, though, so I took absolutely everything out of it. There were people just hanging out watching me do it, so I felt doubly paranoid about someone breaking into the car.

Great Room: This room epitomizes the character of this place. All of the furniture is antique, but it is utterly shabby, neglected, stained, ripped, torn antique, not hip, on a budget, dinged but lovingly refurbished antique. There are very few outlets, as the place has not been updated outside of an ugly coat of paint. The room supposedly has the wifi signal, but I did not find that to be the case *anywhere in the room.* This place is just bad, guys.

I never would recommend this place to a friend nor would I ever return to this place.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

I stayed in this hostel because there were no other hotels available due to the Jazz fest. Upon arrival I was very tired of flying 20 hours, the airline loosing my luggage and the high humidity, but the desk clerk still thought it was a good moment to joke around with everyone else as well as me before helping me, which was very annoying.
I had a private room, which was pretty big. It was not the cleanest I have ever seen (floor was sticky, dust in corners etc, there was a plant growing all the way into the bathroom from the outside), but the sheets and towels were clean. Other than in some reviews my door locked properly, and I did not feel unsafe. I had free wifi, although I had to move to the outside porch for good reception. The pool however was totally unusable, as it was one big slimy pool of algae. Also their website mentions free airport pickup, but there was no such thing.
Some of my friends also booked in this hostel, and they were very unhappy, as they also prebooked private rooms, but ended up in a dorm anyway, which was very dirty with lousy beds.
There was no restaurant inhouse when I was there, but there is a very nice coffeehouse across the street that has everything from coffee to homemade lemonade and great subs (as well as airconditioning and free wifi).

The location is actually pretty good, I was a bit afraid arriving on my own in the dark, but the next morning I discovered the neighbourhood is actually quite nice(although there sure is some dilapidation going around), with a lot of characeristic Garden District houses and quirky shops. You are also close to Charles Street with it's historic street car. Both this and the Magazine street bus take you to the French quarter easily.

All in all not as bad as I feared when I read the reviews, but I am not planning on going back any time soon. After the Jazz fest I stayed at a French quarter hotel which was hardly more expensive but a lot cleaner.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I was eaten alive by bed bugs on the first night we stayed there, completely covered in bites on both arms and torso. The owner tried to blame me saying I had brought them into the property which was complete nonsense. Harrison on front desk was very helpful though and arranged a new room & helped organise a free nights accomodation. That said I really cant recommend this place to anyone. It is falling to pieces & the owner needs to spend some money on it. I heard so many people complaining to the poor staff on front desk (e.g. broken showers, no water, ceiling falling down in one room etc). The Garden District is a lovely area but try and find another hotel in it. Avoid this place.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reno, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

If you want to stay at the Marriott or Best Western- go right ahead. You will be choked by throngs of other yuppies in search of the most sterile ,sanitized, bland experience possible and pay $350 a night. Yup. But if you want a great happening neighborhood with soul and style, cheap digs, friendly hotel guests and staff and the cheapest, most fantastic coffee, hot breads and sandwiches across the street at Mojos--this is the place. The sheets are old, The carpet is old. Our bathroom was brand spanking new, though. It is an old place and full of dilapidated charm. You will see a cockroach in NOLA just like you will see a rat if you spend more than 24 hours in NYC or ride the subway. Deal with it, folks. NOLA is not like that saccharine Dixie section of Disneyland. We were here for Jazz Fest and we would return any time. The staff was super friendly and went out of their way to help us during a very crowded and busy time. But if you are the sort of person who uses toilet seat covers religiously and has Purel attached to your belt in a special little pouch, you will not like it here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS YOUR ONLY OTHER OPTION IS A BOX UNDER A BRIDGE. Do not trust the photos on the web, although the building is genuinely pretty on the outside. This place is a dump.

This hotel is beyond filthy to say the least. We drove in at midnight, to a lobby filled with apparent prostitutes and junkies, too tired to look for another hotel. We arrived at our room via an ancient elevator steeped in a combination of dirty hair and Indian food smells, to find a severely unflushed toilet, a large and diverse collection of hair all over the bathroom, dirty unmatched sheets on aged army surplus mattresses, and dust at depths we didn't know was possible to achieve. The cab driver who took us to another hotel the next day said we'd be surprised to hear how many horrified people he picks up there to take elsewhere.

We are not prissy--we love camping, etc. but do yourself a favor and find another reasonably priced place to stay--this place is just absolutely nasty.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Memphis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

A group of 7 of us from Memphis stayed at St. Vincent's this weekend while attending a local scooter rally. St. Vincent's ad states: "Our friendly staff will go the extra mile to ensure that your stay is comfortable and enjoyable." They also claim to have cable TV and phone in all the hotel rooms. Nothing could be further from the truth. Upon arrival, we were all shocked at the state of disrepair of the house. Walls were dirty with cracked paint, furniture in the halls and on the porches was broken, the pool looked like a cesspool. We checked into our room and found no TV, no phone, torn curtains, a broken fridge, no clock, not even a garbage can. The mattresses looked at felt at least 40 years old! There were no towels, but we figured that getting towels would at least be a fairly simple task. We went to the front desk and Eric told us that there were no towels to be had... they had all been locked up in the housekeeping closet, and that only housekeeping had keys to that closet. I was able to share a towel from a friend's room, but anticipated getting fresh towels the next day. Our bed sheets didn't look very clean (at best they were worn and old), but we figured we'd get clean sheets the next day after the maid serviced our room. Later the next day, when coming back to the hotel from a full day around NOLA, we found that our room had not been cleaned by housekeeping. We mentioned this to Eric, and he said we had an attitude that he did not appreciate. He said they do not make up the rooms on a daily basis, and this should have been explained to us upon check in. He was able to find us some ratty towels, but of course fresh sheets could not be found anywhere! I could go on with more, but you get the idea. To sum up, this place had all the charm of a 1950's mental asylum from a grade B horror film, and all the customer service you would expect in a high security prison. Do not under any circumstances stay at this house. You will regret it, and it will ruin your stay in NOLA.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to St. Vincent's Guest House? Share your experiences!