“Rich in local color and friendliness” 4 of 5 stars

St. Vincent's Guest House
1507 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Lower Garden District)   |
Ranked #127 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Arkansas
“Rich in local color and friendliness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2004

My daughter and I stayed at St V's on a visit~ It was clean with a friendly staff~ Close to the French Quarter and Garden district~ Plus the price was reasonable, St V's has a quaint garden with pool and breakfast New Orleans style~ It's worth the visit if you'd rather not stay in the pricier hotels but would still like the New Orleans feel~ Check the history of the building~

• Stayed September 2001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2004

Stayed there 10 times, always cuz of the cheap price. U get whats ya pay for. No security at nite in a scary neighborhood. encountered many problems w/ all my stays. finally had enuff when i came back to hotel at 2 am and my key would not work on front door or outside stairs metal cage door. had to climg 12 ft high fence w/ spires on it,fell 10 ft to concrete,ripping me shirt and nearly killing myself. no apology fro the owner next morning. had a "mystery" seperate 20 dollar charge on me card. rat traps visable in hallway. nasty pool. cheap styrafoam plates and bad food for breakfast. crappy tv sets,no cable, bring your own clock/radio for music and wakeup. 2 redeeming aspects...in daylight it is a short walk to cool shopping area and rue de la course across street serves best coffee but has a tattoed,pierced "hipper than thou" staff....surrey's 2 blocks away is hand down one of best eclectic and yummy eaterys for breakfast and lunch...St Vincents, NEVER AGAIN!!!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2004

Went to St V's on a Heart Association conference. I try to not stay in the resort when at conference. I prefer to experience the host city. I was really out there with the people. the place could use new carpets and some paint, but it was earthy and real. the staff was pleasant and helpful. And, you can't beat the price. A little spooky at first, I came in in mid-week, in the dark, but soon found I was a ten-minute walk from trendy boutiques and restaurants and fifteen minutes walk from downtown. I'd go back. And, you can't beat the price.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2004

Read the mixed reviews, but booked anyway for the end of October, being ever hopeful. Have to agree, the old-time atmostphere is great. We loved the building as a whole, the impossibly tall doors, the balconies, the courtyard. The free parking area next to the hotel was a real plus for us and was one of the reasons we booked there. We did use the pool area, which was clean and orderly. Also the hotel is relatively close (20-25 minute walk) to the French Quarter - we walked sometimes, used the very convenient bus and street car at other times.

However, I have to admit that the place needs a good cleaning - regularly. The hallways, staircases and rooms need to be swept/vaccumed. The rug in our room obviously had not been cleaned before or during our stay. Cobwebs and dead bugs.
In our double room, neither bed had a mattress pad and the sheets had cigarette holes in them. No pillow covers, just cases over foam pillows with questionable stains.

As far as the free breakfast referred to in earlier reviews, it was hit or miss. As breakfast is served from 8:00 - 10:00, we had to miss it sometimes due to early plans. On the first day we were able to partake of breakfast, the cook had a late start, no eggs available at 8:30, no milk purchased, so no cereal. We were offered two pancakes apiece and some coffee and juice. Second day they were able to add milk, so there was cereal for our daughter. Really not much of a breakfast. No pasty, no meat, no yogurt, no fruit, and on the second day, no toast - ran out of bread.

I wouldn't in good conscience recommend St. Vincent's Guest House.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2004

This is the third time in a year that I've stayed at St. Vincent's. I've always felt welcome, and now more like a part of the family.

My reservations were taken care of without a hitch, and my room was ready upon my arrival as requested.

I came from Minnesota where it was 40 degrees and arrived in NO to be greeted by record setting heat for this time of the year. My room hadn't been used the day before my arrival so I turned on the air as soon as I opened the door. It worked like a charm. I quickly pulled out my swimsuit and headed to the pool. It was clean and well maintained, and just what I needed to cool off.

The most wondeful thing about the St. Vincent's is the ambiance. The building, typical of others built in the same time period are wonderful to see. I know it's a constant battle to keep paint looking fresh, and the overall appearance spotless. The owner and housekeeping staff do their best to make your stay a pleasant one.

The FQ is a bit of a walk from St. Vincent's, but the street car is a few block walk and costs $1.25 per person each way. If you're not up for the street car or the walk the front desk staff are always more than happy to call a cab. A cab ride to the quarter costs about $6 each way, and I would suggest for anyone travelling at night in New Orleans (especially if you're like me and travel alone).

Kudos to Peter, Miss Eloise, Miss Jane, and all the staff for making my stay both pleasant and memorable.

I'll see y'all in the spring for French Quarter Fest.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2004

I'd booked my reservation through Loney Planet's website and had an email confirmation sheet, credit card deposit payment, etc. with me, but when I called to say my flight was delayed and I would be an hour later than expected, I was told they had NO record at all of my reservation. This may happen only on busy weekends but call and make sure your reservation is set several times before you go. Of course they had no rooms available that night, my tough luck. Chances are, if you're booking St. Vincent's, you're on a budget. If it's a Friday night, good luck finding a room elsewhere for under $100. Sadly, this has happened to me before with budget hotels in New Orleans---what can you do, sue them in small claims court for $30? I'm sure the hotel is fine but beware of reservation glitches, particularly if you are traveling from a distance and intend to sleep that night!

Santa Fe,NM
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2004

This place looks great on the website, but when you see your room, a dark reality will set in. The room was dirrrrrrrty. The carpet was matted with hair, dust and creepy crawlies. I discovered why when I borrowed the vaccum from the maid; the belt on her vaccum was broken, and has been broken for some time. After informing her of this she said "It work fine fa me". The bedspread had mystery stains on them. I remedied this however by discovering the unlocked hotel laundry room on the floor, where I washed all the bed linnens and covers. The cruddy AC unit in the room should have came with a legionarre's disease pamphlet. The pool is full of leaves, dirt, bugs and the urine of drunken patrons (NOT KIDDING). After requesting fresh towels on the second day of our stay, they were tied to the door handle in a plastic bag, however, another guest must have needed the towels more than us. When I went to retrieve the towels all that remained on the door handle was a tattered plastic bag. I could go on for several paragraphs, but why? Bottom line; stay elsewhere unless you want to get some rare fungal skin infection from this filthy place.

Been to St. Vincent's Guest House? Share your experiences!