“Great location- honest review” 2 of 5 stars

St. Vincent's Guest House
1507 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Lower Garden District)   |
Ranked #123 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Sydney
“Great location- honest review”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed here for 10 days for the Jazz festival and if I could of afforded it or had more choice when I booked (late booking) I would of left on the first night. I think I will give it a poor rather than terrible as the bathroom was clean.
We were given 4 rooms to choose from as we had booked a motel style room I thought this maybe better, wrong 2 of the rooms could not be locked and when I said it would be good if the rooms could be locked I got a blank look as if it was a privilege, one room smelt really bad of smoke so we took the best room out of the lot (59). The bathroom was clean. the linen was clean but a hole of 30cm x 30cm had been cut into it as the sheet didnt fit over the mattress. Cockroaches were around but all the ones I saw were dead and cleaned up by the staff within the day so the place has been sprayed. Our television didnt work and we asked if someone could look at it, after two days we asked again and they said it wouldnt be looked at until after the Jazz Fest???? my guess it hasnt worked for sometime and wont be fixed. Peter the owner (aka general manager) who was nowhere to be seen throughout the whole stay should put some money into the place but he wont as he doesnt want to give his ex wife any more money than he has to, so there wont be any improvements until they settle their finances.
David one of the workers was most helpful and a pleasure to deal with also Brandi must be commended on her skills at working with people. Actually all the staff were helpful but have limited resources to work with.
Because of the reviews we bought our own sheets towels and pillows and left them there but our towels were taken from our room halfway through our stay never to be returned but I had plan to leave them there anyway but when asked to get them back more blank looks from the reception staff so I knew there was no way I was getting them back.
Yes this is a halfway house and if I was there without my husband I would of felt unsafe and I am not easily scared.
There was a woman on the top floor shooting up drugs on the stairs, we are subsidising their rent as we paid $1000 for the ten days and the residents pay $225 per week.
The view was amazing from the 3rd floor and the place has alot of character and would be amazing with a complete refurb.
Would I stay here again the answer would be NO, would be bearable for a night but not a long stay. we stayed at Hotel Modern up the road the night before we got here but they did not have room for the whole time and it cost us $105 for the night so I know where I am staying next time.

Room Tip: Good luck with finding a good room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

My fiance and I stayed here for 6 days over Wrestlmania! We communicated with staff via e-mail as we got delayed and arrived from Scotland a day later than planned and very late in the evening, yet staff were happy to ensure someone was there to check us in.

St Vincents isnt a place of luxury, lets get that out the way first! It's a large, basic hotel and hostel and in need of serious refurbishment, however, it has bags of character, a lovely outdoor area and pool and cannot be beaten in
terms of the location!

Our room was number 28, and we were greeted with a cockroach on entry but be scuttled off and was the only one we seen all week. A bug, big deal.

Our room was basic and a little rundown but clean and comfortable and there was a good selection of tv channels.The bathroom was spotless and the shower was
hot everytime.

The air con unit was old and a little noisey but kept our room nice and cool.

The bed was comfortable, although the bedding was old and well used it was still clean and smelled fresh, so this was a non-issue for us.

We were greeted with a smile every time we bumped into staff, they were happy to call us cabs and we got the impression that they are trying to pull the place together and refurbish it.

A lot of others have mentioned that longer term residents of St Vincents seemed weird or sketchy, but I can honestly say everyone was super friendly and I never once felt unsafe. Although it would be handy to have personal safe in rooms as most hotels now provide this.

Overall, this hotel does need modernising, new linen and a general tidy up but for the price, location and sheer friendly atmosphere I would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2014
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for your kind review!!
Please come back and see us!!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Worst hostel experience ever. I have always enjoyed staying in hostels because there is usually fun to meet the wide variety of people staying there and you can't beat the price. I would never say that for this hostel. It was more of a half way house than a hostel. We had to leave without staying the night because this place was disgusting and I did not feel safe staying there. When we first arrived they said we didn't have a reservation until I pulled up the confirmation letter and then they said we still may or may not have a spot if we came back later. When we came back and paid to stay we were given keys and we went to our room. When we opened the room to the dorm style accommodations we were immediately met with a horrible stench. Then we couldn't find a bed that wasn't COVERED with someone else's dirty clothes and garbage. They had the "long term" resident come move his belongings. He said he was very excited we would be sleeping above him... Against better judgement we tried to make the beds with the hair covered sheets, but when my cousin tried to get on the bed it collapsed. The homeless gentlemen sleeping below her said he was afraid that might happen since it is so unstable. When we told the desk they said they would try and fix it, but that they needed the keys back because they were overbooked and needed the bunks for other people and that we should sleep on cots in the living room. That is when I asked for my money back and decided it would be better to leave. They have since refused to refund us any money and even though we didn't stay there. I hope no one else ever has this kind of experience. I was completely devastated that this could happen to me and that a horrible place like this would basically steal my money.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the co-ed dorm. It is a half-way house.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Lots of bad reviews. They are from people trying to stay in a chain hotel for half the price. I had a great time here. The staff was great the room was clean with air conditioning. The in house restaurant pizza gusto was delicious and reasonably priced. The 11 bus runs all up and down magazine st connecting you easily to different parts of the city. All day bus passes are $3. Lots of great shops and restaurants near by. Great place to experience. Thanks guys, im sure ill be back :-D

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind review!!
Please come back and see us!!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Remember this is a hostel and I've stayed in far worse. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at St. Vincent's. Staff were friendly and responded positively to any requests. Location was excellent, with good access to buses and I didn't pay more than $15 for taxis when needed. Thank you!

Jeremy

• Stayed April 2014
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

This is my first trip advisor review, but i felt compelled to stick up for the place after reading such terrible reviews about it beforehand.

I stayed here for 6 days recently and was a bit apprehensive about it after reading such reviews, but i have to be honest, it exceeded expectations by quite a margin. This isn't the Ritz by any account, It's a place to sleep after a long day doing whatever brought you to New Orleans. I stayed in a room with 2 double beds, a tv, and a working shower. It's all I needed.

I enjoyed the whole vibe of the place, you had people who stayed there long term mixing with people who were just there for a couple of nights. Had quite a few interesting conversations with the locals.

For value for money this was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: This definitely isn't the best hotel in New Orleans, but for value it was a great place to stay.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The ratings in my review here are not great, but I shall explain why this is still a perfectly acceptable place to stay, a place that far exceeded the expectations of me and my friends.

First off, it's a hostel. Unless you're royalty, over-complaining isn't really justified. What do you expect? Rooms were never cleaned but I never expected them to be. The wifi signal isn't great but I never expected it to be. The beds were nice and big, the showers worked, the toilets worked, the fridge/freezer and microwave worked, the doors locked when you wanted them to...the only real issue I had was the lack of decent air conditioning and windows which didn't open, which meant rooms were far too stuffy.

Other than that, it was a great place to stay! Lots of character, located a nice walk from both Magazine St shopping areas and the main part of the city, and the majority of staff went out of their way to help with anything. I had to book an extra night at the start of the trip and they got me a room at very short notice, which I appreciated. And even this "small" room did what was needed. The rest of the nights were booked through a third party and there were no issues. I did not see a cockroach in or around the building the entire week I was there, and nor did my friends. The Mojo coffee shop across the road was great, as was Surrey's breakfast bar just two blocks up the street.

A couple of people in the hostel live there long-term and those that worked night shift weren't too fond of the drunken noise we made during the day before going out, so as long as you're considerate most people are very friendly.

If you're with a group of friends and don't want or need the big hotels in the city centre, and are after a little bit of character with nice views from the outdoor areas on the top floor, I would recommend St Vincent's, so long as they can get more air into the rooms.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Please come back and see us again!!

Been to St. Vincent's Guest House? Share your experiences!