“Great location, Ambience, and Value” 4 of 5 stars

St. Vincent's Guest House
1507 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Lower Garden District)   |
Ranked #127 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
San Francisco, California
“Great location, Ambience, and Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a great location (Garden District), equi-distant to the French Quarter and the "hip" part of Magazine Street (and St. Charles Avenue, as well). Great transportation options, and there's a beautiful garden area for sitting and relaxing when you're not out and about. My room was a great value, and the staff, particularly Brandi and Lenny were charming, fun to converse with, and extremely helpful. I'm already committed to going back next year!

Room Tip: If you opt for a dorm, there are "small" dorm rooms available, with only 4 beds. If it'...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Peter073040, Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to post your comments.
We'd love to have you as our guest again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Matlock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have stayed here twice. Most recently for Jazzfest 2013.

First things first...
1) If stained sheets are going to ruin your vacation, bring your own. Sheets are clean but often have stains.
2) Both times I stayed here, late at night in the hallway, I saw a cockroach on its back, legs kicking, waiting to die.

Other than those two things, I love this place.

First time I stayed here a few years ago, there was an incredibly friendly and knowledgeable English woman who I believe was managing the place. All other employees were a little strange. Our best guess was that they were ex-cons on some kind of back to work program. They tried very hard, and the English woman was trying very hard to coach them, but there was just something very odd (maybe intriguing is a better word).

This time, everyone's customer service skills were incredible. Had a fantastic stay. Perfect location for Jazzfest with direct bus only a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Room 40. End of hall so no one walking by, and not directly on street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to make your comment.
We hope to see you again!
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. Great location and close to everywhere i wanted to go. i stayed in my own room and i loved the purple room as it was very festive for new orleans. nice people at the front and friendly guests. i will for sure be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
We appreciate your comments and hope you stay with us in the future.
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed at St Vincent's on Apr. 24 thru Apr. 26, 2013 (room reserved through Hostelworld).
When I was reserving a room (approximately 5 days before I was to arrive in New Orleans), I found that most places in the town were already filled and those that were not filled were charging outrageous prices (eg. International House. I did go to the bar at International House one evening and can definitely recommend the bar). True, I had left everything till the last minute. However, St Vincent's still had rooms available.
I did a little research online before booking the room and read some horrible reviews (and also some very good reviews) and went ahead and booked the room. Some of those bad reviews had mentioned poor security, bed bugs, botched reservations, cockroaches, rodents....So, it was with a little apprehension when I booked my room.
I confirmed my reservation first by email and also by phone. St. Vincent's did send me a return email to confirm and I was also able to speak to the person in charge of reservations (Kristy).
After driving 20 hours from New York City, I arrived at around 3 pm and was checked into my room by Kristy. (I was in room 4 of the main building). I gratefully took a quick shower and walked down to Lafayette Square to meet my friends who were already down there enjoying some live music and multiple alcoholic drinks. I left one of my cameras (I brought 2 cameras with me) in the room at St. Vincent's in my luggage bag. (Be aware that there is no safe in the room to lock up your valuables). In the three days I stayed there, nothing happened to my camera.
I never saw a live cockroach (even though I did see cockraches on the sidewalks of the city but never in the hostel), was never bitten by a bed bug. The room was quite clean. There was a little dust around the edges but it wasn't dusty enough to cause me to sneeze. (I'm prone to sneezing whenever there is dust but I did not have any sneezing episodes while staying at St Vincent's).
There were clean sheets and towels. (The sheets are not of the highest quality so if you are used to luxury type super smooth sheets, you definitely should bring your own). The bathroom was very large and the room itself was very large.
Lenny, Kristy and Brandie were all helpful and made my stay very enjoyable. The neighbourhood where the hostel is located is great. On the next street, Camp Street, which is parallel to Magazine Street, there is a park and a school. Parking is freely available in the hostel parking lot. True, it is not a new room and there is a slight musty smell. But for me, the plusses far outweigh the negatives.

Room Tip: I stayed in a private room in the main building. (room 4). I read somewhere that it was noisy by 9am...
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
We do read all reviews and appreciate your comments.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

. . . then this is an exceptionally good choice for lodging. I love New Orleans, and was visiting with a friend who'd never been. I wanted somewhere affordable, interesting, and in a location in which I was comfortable and from which we could get everywhere we wanted to go painlessly. St. Vincent's was all those things. It's pretty worn down, and extremely basic, but we weren't in New Orleans for sleeping or for lounging in fluffy towels or robes all day.

The bedding is not overly comfortable, but it suffices for a few hours while you recharge. The bathroom was completely adequate and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful, and is made up of wonderful characters--I loved the little conversations we had in passing. There are both hostel set ups and hotel rooms, which is smart. We like a lot of character in our hotels, but I'm not a kid anymore, and I loved that I could get a private room and bathroom for under $60 a night in between two festival weekends. The pool looked unusable. There's a pizzeria on the ground floor, but we're from Chicago, so we didn't try it--we were here for New Orleans cooking.

The building is pretty amazing. It's old, and it was an infant asylum--the hallway to the ancient elevator is lined with historic photos and some really cool bronze sculptures. There's a parking lot for $5 a night, but we found street parking with ease every time we returned, and despite what a lot of reviews have said, the neighborhood is not scary. I felt completely safe leaving my car on the street and walking to and from Mojo Coffee House across the street in the wee hours (but again, I'm from Chicago--it takes some sketch to make me nervous). The place is on Magazine Street--walking west (southly) will take you past some great shopping and houses, and will lead you to an honest to god legit deli (Stein's Deli) that we went to twice, we loved it so much. It's a cheap cab ride to the Quarter and Marigny, or you can hop on the St. Charles street car (like four blocks away) for a buck twenty-five and head east to the lunacy of Bourbon Street or west to Uptown. Surrey's Cafe and Juice bar is a block and a half away, as well--there are few better breakfasts/brunches in the city.

Altogether, despite the lack of luxury and the worn-in feel of the place, or maybe because of those things and everything I wrote above, I would come back here in a heartbeat. I definitely know people, as I am sure you do, who would not do well here, but why would you be traveling with them on purpose?

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
We read each review and are interested in all comments posted.
The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel is old, has the look of a Victorian house. Everything is a bit out of time and has the look of a recombined scraps of things. The shower is a kind of plastic box, where you stand in. We found okay for one night, but we did not want to stay longer at St. Vincents. The area around the hotel is not really trustworthy. We were therefore pointed out by the receptionist, that when it got dark, we had to take a taxi to go anywhere. The pool was dirty, so we did not got in there. Breakfast was poor, not tasty in any way.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We read each review and take deep interest in all the comments.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights before travelling home. During this time I too had some 'burst pipe' story and needed to change rooms. I saw cockroaches both dead and alive in the room, and bed bugs. It was a total shambles and I now have a very expensive bug problem to deal with at home. Won't be staying here again!

• Stayed April 2013
Peter073040, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello Jessie Lou
For the past 3 months we have been operating at almost 100 percent capacity in our dorms and private rooms due to special events, spring break, etc etc. We researched our reservations and can find no evidence of your stay, perhaps Jessie Lou is your pen name. We did have a large group from Kenya stay with us during this period and your profile and picture somewhat matches. Please note that we have had no formal complaints for bed bugs during the time you claimed you stayed with us. We are puzzled by your statement that you saw bed bugs, but never reported them. As you know, New Orleans is in a tropical climate and when things warm up in the spring, all types of insects appear, ie mosquitoes, roaches, fleas, flying termites etc etc. We are in the tropics and this is a way of life. Our property is 2 and 1 half acres open to lawns, foliage, open porches, etc and we are thus exposed to all of the above. We have our pest control in place as this is a necessary evil.
Regarding bed bugs, these are not home grown, they are transmitted and carried by travelers such as yourself who unknowingly will pick them up in previous lodging establishments, public transportation vehicles etc etc. We even do not know your previous itinerary or your means of transportation to our facility. Also, it is extremely difficult to identify bed bugs from other minute pests such as baby roaches, etc etc. When you claim that you saw bed bugs, we are wondering what you really saw. Do you have evidence of any bites and resulting medical treatment? You can well understand that an accusation of bed bugs is very detrimental to someone’s business and statements made without foundation are completely libelous. We respectfully ask you to contact us and give us the room number you stayed in to where we can have the room professionally treated in case what you saw is true. Please keep in mind that since your so called departure, we have rented all of our rooms with no complaints. Please contact me at diannepeterschreiber@earthlink.net.
Yours truly,

Been to St. Vincent's Guest House? Share your experiences!