This was the only place that was still taking reservations when hunting down rooms in the late Spring/early Summer for the Super Bowl weekend, so we decided to take the risk. Just a heads up before you make a reservation: the price is on a per person basis as opposed to the number of beds. It was still cheaper than many of place around the area, though, This location is about a 30-minute walk from Canal Street & the French Quarters, but there's bus stop one block away. Use the buses to get to and from the hotel. It's a nice convenience to have. This location is also in a low-traffic area.
The hotel itself used to be a children's care facility way back in the day, but has since been converted into a guest house. The interior is very old, yet somewhat fascinating to look at. It's got plenty of old statues in the hall ways and an old courtyard in the middle. The staff is very friendly and always greeted us when we walked past the front counter. Our room was very simple: two beds, two huge windows with blinds and curtains, a bed stand, the bathroom, and an old-school 20-something inch TV. The cable for the TV gets a poor signal, so don't plan on watching TV. The shower has low water pressure but gets the job done, and the door to the restroom had a lot of resistance on it. The beds, though, were really comfortable. We didn't have a hard time sleeping either of the nights we stayed and woke up with a good night's sleep.
Overall, it was a very positive experience. I was leery because of all the negative reviews and immediately scanned the hotel and our room for bugs of any kind, but saw nothing that anyone else claims. I'd choose this hotel again because of its location and price. The convenience of bus travel nearby is a huge plus, so you don't need to drive anywhere.
- Also Known As:
- St. Vincent`s Guest House Hotel
- St. Vincent`s Guest House Hotel New Orleans
- St Vincents Hotel
- St Vincents New Orleans
- St Vincent Guest House
- St Vincents Guest House
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St. Vincent Guest House is Under New Management!!! As of December 1, 2013 The Guest House will be operated under a new management team that is dedicated to improving both the aesthetics and overall condition of the entire establishment. Steps are being taken to bring this beautiful and historical building to its fullest potential and offer our guests a wonderful experience and comfortable stay. St. Vincent's is not a full service hotel, it is more of hostel/quaint budget hotel that is both economical and located in one of the best areas in the City of New Orleans. (The Lower Garden District) First opened in 1861 as a orphanage; the building has a distinct and colorful history that is worth exploring. The lobby is adorned with photos that reflect the history and show the building's usage over the last 100+ years. Each room has an individual decor and design scape that will make you feel as though you are walking into an era of Nola history gone by... The grounds are well kept and offer several areas for outdoor seating for morning coffee, an evening cigar or just great conversations... Our staff have been trained and are dedicated to providing each guest with the highest level of customer services with courtesy and a smile. Although there are not a great deal of amenities available, every guest will find that the Guest House offers a tremendous value for the price. We have both private sleeping rooms as well as dormitories available. There have been several negative reviews that have been posted in the past and those reviews have been duly noted and taken into consideration for action as we move towards improvements... Likewise, there have been several positive reviews from guests who have enjoyed their stay and the experience at the Guest House; and for that we are thankful! We look forward to this new era at St. Vincent's and welcome each and every guest with open arms... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelBookers, HostelWorld and Travelocity so you can book your St. Vincent's Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.