“Filthy,Discusting,Stay Away,Run,Save your money” 1 of 5 stars

You added St. Vincent's Guest House to your Saves list
St. Vincent's Guest House
1507 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Lower Garden District)   |
Ranked #127 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
“Filthy,Discusting,Stay Away,Run,Save your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This place by far is the worst place I've ever stayed in. Infested with roaches horrible service. The worst experience ever. Beware. Don't go! Thieves are everywhere. Had a case of bed bugs. Literally the worst hostel to ever exist water leaks from ceiling no proper heating dirty bathrooms. U name think of it this place has it. This place has more negative reviews than positive for a reason. If thinking about staying here check the rooms out first then make your decision. Do not give them your money first. THIS BUILDING SHOULD BE CONDEMNED AND THE PEOPLE THAT WORK HERE SOME OF THEM I KNOW OF TWO DEFINITELY STEAL YOUR STUFF WHILE YOUR OUT OR WHILE THEY COME CLEAN, SO BEWARE!!!! please for your health and safety book your reservations somewhere else.....The pictures on the internet are misleading and very untrue. I have video that I will be placing on YouTube to show everything that contradicts there misleading pictures on the internet....no free breakfast kitchen is actually closed probably due to rodents eating half the food there really is no telling. I'm not proud of what I'm about to say however I will say it. I went to prison before and it is cleaner in prison than this place..,..I am going to notify and send video dept. of health. Mold everything the other reviews stated is true. Thank you for reading this and God bless you. Stay Away!

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This was the worst accommodation experience I have ever had. I have stayed in hostels all over the world for 15+ years and know what to expect. From the moment I checked into this abominable hellhole, I felt uncomfortable (keeping in mind my experience in all sorts of hostels). The scatterbrained aussie guy at the front desk demanded that I give him change for a $100 bill that he had received from another guest (he did not even ask) and I refused. He then cursed at me for not indulging his idiotic request To say the least, it was uncomfortable. I did not want to stay at that point but all reasonably priced hotels were booked at the time since I was in town for a large conference. Once I got to the room, NOTHING that the confirmation e-mail detailed was actually in the room. There was NO internet and there was NO safe available in the room. There was ONE old dirty towel (it smelled like month old unwashed feet) in the bathroom. It wasn't even a shower towel. It was only a hand towel. We braved two nights before we left in absolute horror (keep in mind, we were both SEASONED hostel travelers). The reason we left? OUR PASSPORTS WERE STOLEN FROM OUR ROOM. WHEN WE LEFT, OUR ROOM WAS LOCKED WITH OUR PASSPORTS HIDDEN INSIDE (SINCE THE SAFE THAT WAS PROMISED DID NOT EXIST), WHEN WE RETURNED, OUR ROOM WAS ALSO LOCKED, HOWEVER, OUR PASSPORTS HAD DISAPPEARED. We called the police and they informed us that we were crazy to stay there because they were there CONSTANTLY (they stressed that 3 times) for the same thing - people come into locked rooms, steal items, then lock up behind them. No one from the hostel ever sees or hears the crooks and it's as if it never happens. Rest assured, we are living proof, it does happen. IT IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED AND I WOULD NOT TEST THE THEORY THAT IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN. The hotel owner is a piece of work. He said we (DRUNKENLY) took our things and left them in the courtyard and forgot them and that we were SO LUCKY that their staff went and found them for us. This is entirely false. We never, EVER, went into the courtyard, nor did we EVER remove our passports from our room. Oddly enough, our passports were recovered in their courtyard next to the wallet of another guest whose credit cards were stolen and used all over New Orleans that same day that our passports were stolen (I bet that's just a weird coincidence... ). The owner will do his absolute juvenile best to discredit you if you ever have a problem with the establishment. He did the same to us when we disputed the charges on our credit cards for our stay at the hostel after they refused a refund to us. I fully expect a ridiculous response to this review stating that we were drunk idiot patrons who disturbed the whole hostel for the duration of our stay (that we cut short by numerous days because we could not stand the brutal conditions) but that is plain nonsense.PLEASE READ PLENTY OF OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS HELLHOLE TO GET AN IDEA FOR THE CHARACTER OF THIS GUY IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE ME. We were never intoxicated while we stayed there and we were never a disturbance.

The bottom line is that if you have a reasonable expectation that you will not be robbed by the very people that are providing you with a place to stay, DO NOT EVER STAY HERE. You are more than likely safer sleeping on the streets of New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Peter073040, Owner at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
These 2 young male college students enjoyed their stay in New Orleans by visiting Bourbon Street in the French Quarter nightly and returning to the hotel in the wee hours of the morning completely inebriated and swearing that the front desk clerk was an Aussie with an Australian accent, i.e., we do not have any Australian front desk clerks. Towards the end of their stay, they panicked one morning and claimed that their passports were missing and called the police. The police came and made a report but the following morning their passports were sitting in their computer bag on one of the benches in the courtyard, which they had to go through to get to their room which was obvious they left it there. Subsequently, they asked us to refund all their money for their complete stay because they were "inconvenienced". We argued this chargeback with the bank and I believe we were successful in retaining our rightful lodging fees. I really am suprised at their behavior as I have thought that Australians are straight forward and honest, somewhat reminding me of America in the 1950's. P.S. My children are Australian.
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I’ve stayed at St. Vincent’s several times since hurricane Katrina, and it’s clearly improved every time I’ve visited New Orleans. It’s not a typical hotel by any means, and I can understand why it rubs some people the wrong way. But I’m more adventurous than most, and I enjoy the sense of being inside a living piece of New Orleans history. And during my last stay I noticed that the grounds, the management, and even the clientele had improved quite a bit. Even the entrances are secure at night, which is important in New Orleans, because even the nice neighborhood around the hotel has its share of suspicious characters. The most impressive new change was the lobby, which is now full of beautiful bronze sculptures. I’ll post photos since I can’t do them justice. The whole operation just feels classier, but it’s still the same old building, with a few familiar faces. Oh yeah, and it’s cheap. Really cheap. Like half of what the major hotels charge. A good value for a bargain traveler like me, but if you’re booking your honeymoon, best book a room at the Windsor Court for $300+/night, because St. Vincent’s isn’t a five-star hotel. It’s just a cool, kinda funky, but oddly charming and super cheap room in a terrific neighborhood. I’ll be back, maybe because I keep hoping to see a ghost traipsing down the hall one night, lol.

Room Tip: Ask for one of Miss Eloise's rooms, no joke.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and thank you for choosing St. Vincent's Guest House for your stay!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Wanted to plan a trip from Houston to New Orleans on the cheap and found St. Vincent's online. Took the Megabus from Houston to Nola, the bus left at midnight and I arrived around 6 am. I took a city bus to St. Vincent's and got to the hotel. When I arrived the desk clerk had not arrived but I was invited to enjoy some coffee and breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The cook there is amazing by the way with over 25 years of experience.

After a wonderful breakfast and some great conversation the desk person arrived. I had an opportunity to chat with the owner Peter after breakfast and he asked the clerk to give me a discount. So at this point I had an early check in and a discounted rate couldn't get any better right? Guess again the hotel is not only really nice but has a ton of character. The rooms are very clean, there are not a ton of frills but the uniqueness of the place more than makes up for that, at least in my book.

I highly recommend staying here. You are likely to meet some wonderful people and have an experience that no "5 star" hotel can provide.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and thank you for choosing St. Vincent's Guest House for your stay!
DURANGO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have been staying at St. Vincent's Guest House since before Hurricane Katrina. This is the setting for movies sets such as as "Reds" and "Candyman 2" . My boys have stayed in several of the "5" stars hotels in New Orleans and given the choice always choose the guesthouse. We don't spend a lot of time in our rooms so like the cost of the room. There is a kitchen if we need one. Our rooms are always comfortable and clean. I am currently using the former orphanage as a setting in a book.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building on third floor are our favorites.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for staying with us.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is a horrible and miserable place to stay! The rooms do not have any HEAT! There are COCKROACHES all over the place! The rooms are dirty, the sheets are unwashed and had a smell, the people who work there are absolutely disgusting! Please AVOID THIS HOSTEL!!!

Room Tip: Please avoid this PLACE!!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I can surely say by far that this was my worst place ever to stay. Rooms looked nothing like the pictures, they first booked us a room no microwave,refrig..,no cable and no heat. So then we switch rooms ,little bit better still no type of heat at all huge room bed is about 12-13 ft from a 24in tv . I guess the killing part for us is these rooms are not equip with any type of heaters. WHAT KIND OF ROOMS DONT HAVE HEAT!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to St. Vincent's Guest House? Share your experiences!