“Repeat visitor” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #131 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
DURANGO
“Repeat visitor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have been staying at St. Vincent's Guest House since before Hurricane Katrina. This is the setting for movies sets such as as "Reds" and "Candyman 2" . My boys have stayed in several of the "5" stars hotels in New Orleans and given the choice always choose the guesthouse. We don't spend a lot of time in our rooms so like the cost of the room. There is a kitchen if we need one. Our rooms are always comfortable and clean. I am currently using the former orphanage as a setting in a book.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building on third floor are our favorites.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Peter073040, Owner at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is a horrible and miserable place to stay! The rooms do not have any HEAT! There are COCKROACHES all over the place! The rooms are dirty, the sheets are unwashed and had a smell, the people who work there are absolutely disgusting! Please AVOID THIS HOSTEL!!!

Room Tip: Please avoid this PLACE!!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I can surely say by far that this was my worst place ever to stay. Rooms looked nothing like the pictures, they first booked us a room no microwave,refrig..,no cable and no heat. So then we switch rooms ,little bit better still no type of heat at all huge room bed is about 12-13 ft from a 24in tv . I guess the killing part for us is these rooms are not equip with any type of heaters. WHAT KIND OF ROOMS DONT HAVE HEAT!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Loxley, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I made a reversation on Wed 11-14-2012 gave them my card # to hold till we got there Fri 11-16-2012, called the next day Thur 11-15-2012 to cancel (because of all the bad reviews i read) The man i spoke with Gabrial was very nice and said my card would not be charged that i canceled in time. Soooo I look at my bank acct Sat morning and I have been charged!! Called the bank done the whole dispute thing, found out they spoke with the Hotel, and the Hotel employee lied and said I told them I would check in Thursday...I have now called the bank again to start another claim, and have told my bank to let the hotel know I called from my work to cancel the resveration, I work at a police dept and we have recorded phone lines..............we'll see

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Guernsey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at this guest house in November 2012 for three days and we could not wait to leave.The room was worn and shabby, the bed creaked and the television worked only occasionally. We suffered a personal emergency whilst in New Orleans and the staff were not only unhelpful but gave us misleading information which led to us making the 25 minute walk into the French Quarter. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU ARE A TOURIST IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR WHILE

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

They are certified bed bug free..... but how about the other bugs. It was absolutely terrible! A long day of traveling and we just wanted to lay down and sleep. We pulled back the covers and 5 bugs scurried. Then we cleaned that off then we looked at the night stand and there were 10 different sized bugs. Little ones and HUGE ones we had to leave. Its looks fun and should have been a great piece of our story.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Okay, let me start off by saying that this is a hostel and, being a poor college student, I opted for the cheaper option for my New Orleans trip and booked at St. Vincent's. The location is great (15-20 minute walk from touristy places), and the staff is pretty friendly, plus the building is old and has a lot of character. The problem is that, being an old building, there are also a lot of issues. The pipes are not great and there's practically no water pressure, not to mention the tons of cockroaches that get into the room from the pipes. None of them are that big, but they are annoying because they crawl on the walls and some actually got into my suitcase, so I had to shake them out of all my clothes (yuck!). Really, this place had some cleanliness issues. It looked like they didn't do a very good job cleaning up or just generally maintaining the building. Overall, this was a good stay because of the convenience and price of the hostel, but if you're freaked out about bugs, I definitely would not recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to St. Vincent's Guest House? Share your experiences!