“OK for the money...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
“OK for the money...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Spent the night there before our cruise because it was reasonable and close to New Orleans. We didn't have a car and that was a huge mistake. There is nothing really close by to go to for a bite to eat or drink but that was OK because our plan was to go to the French Qtr and then back for a good night sleep before the cruise. Taxi's are very expensive so the ferry is the way to go. It used to be free but they now charge $2.00 pp. It's a farily long walk to the pier, especially on a hot day so you can catch a bus approx 2 blocks from the Hotel and it drops you off close enough to the ferry. The last trip back is at 8 pm so you would have to take a taxi back. Other than that, the workers were friendly and the bed was comfortable. We probably wouldn't stay there again, but if you have a car and is on a budget, it's not a bad deal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Federal City Inn & Suites on TripAdvisor.
The staff and I pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable rooms. I am pleased to hear that we met most of your needs and we look forward to you staying with us again on you next visit to our city.

The Algiers's area of New Orleans is the second oldest settlement and the Algiers Point area does offer unique entertainment and dining attractions different from the French Quarter if you have the time. We would like to see you back on your next visit to our city.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Powder Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

My stay is awesome, love the location and price. I love staying on the old base because of my memories. Very clean and affordable, and is located on the West Bank, so you will need transportation. If you love to walk, you could it's 3 miles one way.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear CMP 1130

The staff and I pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable rooms. I am pleased to hear that we met all of your needs and we look forward to you staying with us again on you next visit to our city.
Barrie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

This hotel is very clean, has a little kitchenette, is in a very quiet area so great for sleeping and the staff, especially Vincent were extremely nice and helpful. Now for the bad. If you are planing on being in New Orleans, French Quarter especially, the location is terrible. Map quest or a GPS will tell you that is is only a few KM's away but that includes water. To get around the water you can drive 11 km, but then you are stuck with a car in the french quarter which is pricey to park and not fun to drive in. The other option is a Ferry. The ferry no longer takes vehicles, just people on foot and only costs $2 a person. This would be a great option except it only runs until about 10 - 1030 pm, the parking there costs $20 and if you would prefer to walk it is 2.5 km from the hotel to the ferry. We did walk it several times but it is pretty time consuming. There is a nice path and lots of street lights to keep the walk safe but overall this hotel is very far from all the action of NOLA. This hotel is located inside a Navy base. We did not have a bad experience here but it is not very convenient if you want to be in the french quarter.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Good Afternoon,

The Algiers area is the second oldest settlement in the New Orleans area and is one of the most diverse neighborhoods. The Algiers point area /ferry landing offers excellent dining and entertainment.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I was heading on a cruise (Carnival Dream) the very next day and figured I would take advantage of getting a good nights sleep and show up at the cruise port rested instead of driving in from Houston early that morning. I was so glad I did as the location was perfect. Just across the river from the port, yet in a very quiet neighborhood where I felt quite safe and secure. The room was large and clean on the second floor, complete with kitchenette which I really didn't take advantage of due to my short stay but would certainly recommend this place if you were coming to take in New Orleans for a few days since you would have the luxury of home-styled living yet close enough to all the fun of downtown.

There was no elevator so you may want to request the bottom floor if you do have lots of luggage, the guy behind the desk asked if I needed help with my bags, which I didn't but the offer was still genuine.
I had two double beds even though I was a solo traveller.

Both beds and pillows were very comfortable so I had no trouble deciding which to sleep in.

The Air conditioner was not too noisy and it did keep my room cool, just the way I like it!

The internet was free and very fast for a hotel (18-25 mbps down and 6 mbps up!)

I'll let my pictures tell the rest of the story!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Rooms were very clean and roomy. The beds were comfortable. The hotel was close to the Algiers ferry which drops you off right at Canal Street at the corner of the French Quarter. The staff was friendly and helpful. The area seemed to be very secure - Marine police and New Orleans police patrol the area. Room prices were much more reasonable than prices across the river in the F.Q. or business district.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

The area of the hotel is ok, it seems safe, theres always patrol cars driving around. Nothing to really do or places to eat around it. Staff friendliness varies. The one lady at the desk was very nice and friendly when we arrived, the next guy on duty was not. The rooms are very spacious, nice little kitchen and table space. The beds are not very nice. Our comforters look very old with some stains, pillows the same, we went to change pillow case and the pillows were yellow as if they havnt been washed or replaced in years. The beds are not comfy. We also were hot and went to turn air on and were unable to, looks like each room is not individually controlled. We still have a few nights left which we are not looking forward to, but every other hotel in the area is booked up so we have no choice...

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Norman H, General Manager at Federal City Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Good Afternoon,
First please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting you expectations. We take these comments seriously and your concern about the cleanliness’ is unacceptable. We take pride in presenting clean comfortable and reasonable priced rooms.
Our bed covering's are a little old but are cleaned on a regular basis.
Our in room air conditioners and heaters are individually controlled and we do have maintenance on staff in case of any issues and we would have been more than willing to make your experience with us a pleasant one.
Also of note we will be undergoing a renovation later this summer which will enhance the guest experience totally.

At your convenience please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your issues and hope that you give us the opportunity to serve you and your family again.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

If you want to be in the center of the action, this is not the place for you. Located in a former Navy lodge in an area of town that few tourists would visit, the hotel offers large rooms at affordable prices, something hard to find in New Orleans. We used Hotwire to get our room for 3 nights and were very satisfied, as the room came with a kitchenette and was very quiet. There is no breakfast, and a small laundry at $1.25 per use.

There is nothing within walking distance but a short drive will take you to Algiers Point where a ferry can take you to Canal Street. Note that the ferry doesn't run past 7 pm so late nights on Bourbon Street will require a taxi or bus back.

The small underused Oakwood shopping mall lies about two miles away.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon,

Please be advised that we will continue to enhance your experience with a refurbishment of the hotel later this summer

Been to Federal City Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!