“Unsafe area and rude staff” 2 of 5 stars

Red Carpet Inn & Suites
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   6050 Chef Menteur Highway, New Orleans, LA 70126   |
Ranked #139 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Tallahassee, Florida
“Unsafe area and rude staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Was trying to book a 3 star hotel online and was told that hotel was unavailable. Customer service agent suggested a comparable hotel nearby. (This is a one and a half star at best) I asked for the location so we could go look at it but was told rooms were filling up and i should go ahead and reserve. We arrived there 15 min later. Area felt extremely unsafe, drunk people staggering between the convenience store next door and the hotel. There was a chain link fence to the rooms. I went into the shabby lobby to speak with the desk clerk Brett. He was rude and unhelpful. He said there was a 100% cancellation fee because I hadn't cancelled before 4pm the previous day. I explained that we'd only booked the reservation 15 min earlier but he still refused any refund. I think 73 on a tuesday for a shady area such as this is extreme.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Wish I had read some reviews before i booked....Booked and paid on line for my father in law a room, thru hot wire...when he arrived they told him they needed a credit card on file that it was a hot wire requirement, he should have called becasue i had already given hot wire my credit card, anyway room was paid in full he had the hotwire confirmation number he was told his card would not be charged..... the very next morning he checked his bank account and they had charged him $30 and said it would be returned on his departure that it was just pending...lie it was not pending it was charge the same moment they told him they were just holding the card and it was not pending and the $30 was not returned he had to go to the bank to dispute the discharges....just $30 but how many people do they do this to GREAT SCAM RED CARPET! You SUCK

Room Tip: dont stay here ever they lie and they are rude
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Auburn, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I booked a whirlpool suite for a romantic getaway online at hotel.com the day before I was expected to come. When I arrived the next day, they told me they had overbooked and were unable to give me the whirlpool suite. I wasn't even notified before my arrival! Instead, they offered me a double bed room for the same price I paid for the whirlpool suite. I had to call hotel.com before 4 o'clock to cancel my reservation and had to book a new hotel room, which was seriously inconvenient! Apparently, a walk-in had arrived 30 seconds within the time I had booked the suite online and they were given the suite instead. It appeared they were low on staff as well. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. My plans were ruined due to them.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I have stayed at the campground here on 2 previous occassions. We've never had a problem, though the facilities are average at best. I made reservations for New Years Eve back in November. The site was booked for 3 nights through a reservation site. I requested 30 amp service and a pull through site. When i received the confirmation I saw they had me set for 50 amp service, which I am unable to use, and charged me an extra $15.00 for this service.

I emailed them right away to correct this and requested they credit my card back for the $15.00 charge but never heard from them. I decided I would address this when I arrived in New Orleans. When I got there I spoke to the man at the registration desk and he told me they "are working on getting this corrected". The site didn't matter since the entire campground was practically empty. I still hadn't heard anything about the over charge by the time I left so I decided to drop it. However, when I checked my account I found there was an additional charge for $105.00. This angered me a bit and I decided since I had to call them again about that charge that I also wanted the other $15.00 as well.

When I spoke to them they told me they had already cancelled the charge for $105.00 but that no one there could refund the $15.00 and I would have to call the reservation company for the refund. I called them and they seemed confused as to why I was referred to them but they called for me to try to straighten it out. I received a call back from them and was told that Mardi Gras Campground/Red Carpet Inn refused to refund the money.

Now I'm pissed so I called back to the campground and told them I wanted to no what their justification was for keeping my money? This was their answer verbatim....."There IS NO JUSTIFICATION. We just don't do refunds!". The person I spoke with told me he would "talk to the boss" about it and call me back but so far I've had no return phone calls.

It's not about the $15.00 anymore but the principle. They admit they owe me the money but just refuse to give it back.

BEWARE doing business with these ripoffs!!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

I had read the previous reviews for this hotel, so when we arrived I was not surprised by the security fence. We were a bit apprehensive because it is not very picturesque at night, but honestly everything was fine with us checking in. I felt fairly safe outside at night, and we arrived at approximately 12:00am. Once inside the security fence, I felt very safe. I did not see any "sketchy" characters, but maybe we came back to the hotel too early each night to see them. The staff were nice, but not overly friendly or hospitable which I found to be true of a lot of people we met in New Orleans. The room was fine; the pillows were small for a king size bed, the sofa in our room had wear and tear, but we only paid around $50 for the room, so no problem. The WIFI worked great. The free breakfast was fine but certainly not fancy. There was a nice, new flat screen tv in our room. There was a fridge and microwave as well which was a plus. If you're driving to downtown New Orleans, the French Quarter, or down towards Tulane, it is not a very far drive at all.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

it's my own fault for trying to take the cheap way and not pay the few extra dollars for the better, cleaner, a lot safer hotel. Each night my wife and i return back to this hotel, there were women with very little clothes hanging infront to the security gate with room keys in hand. one of them was even nice enough to open the gate for me as i pulled up to the gate. The sounds of doors beening opened and closed all night long from the traffic was a bit much as well! I found hair products and ladies underwear in two drawers. Be sure to think this one over before you choose this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
FLORIDA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

I wanted to go to NOLA for the Saturday before the Superbowl to PARTY. Being military I have slept in some, should we say, not so pleasant places so my view may be skewed a bit, not that of an average person’s, but I will try my best.
Traveling as a solo male or a group of adults this isn't a bad place to use as a base camp. It is about 7 minutes east of the FQ by car off the highway. So you have to take a $20.00 taxi ride or pay to park. Depending on what’s going on and how far away from the FQ you want to park that can be anywhere from 0-$25.00.
The room was ok but I was only there for 5 hours to sleep. It was clean and the heater worked. It's not a place I would go if I was taking my family. There are no "restaurants" on that exit so you need to eat before you call it a day. They do have a “continental breakfast” but the gas station in front of the hotel has a little eatery that have very good breakfast biscuits at a reasonable price. But it’s not a restaurant.
The worst thing about this hotel “if” you are going to NOLA to party is the logistics it takes to get to the FQ if you don’t have a DD.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to Red Carpet Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!