“Fine for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #139 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Atlanta, Georgia
“Fine for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

I had read the previous reviews for this hotel, so when we arrived I was not surprised by the security fence. We were a bit apprehensive because it is not very picturesque at night, but honestly everything was fine with us checking in. I felt fairly safe outside at night, and we arrived at approximately 12:00am. Once inside the security fence, I felt very safe. I did not see any "sketchy" characters, but maybe we came back to the hotel too early each night to see them. The staff were nice, but not overly friendly or hospitable which I found to be true of a lot of people we met in New Orleans. The room was fine; the pillows were small for a king size bed, the sofa in our room had wear and tear, but we only paid around $50 for the room, so no problem. The WIFI worked great. The free breakfast was fine but certainly not fancy. There was a nice, new flat screen tv in our room. There was a fridge and microwave as well which was a plus. If you're driving to downtown New Orleans, the French Quarter, or down towards Tulane, it is not a very far drive at all.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

it's my own fault for trying to take the cheap way and not pay the few extra dollars for the better, cleaner, a lot safer hotel. Each night my wife and i return back to this hotel, there were women with very little clothes hanging infront to the security gate with room keys in hand. one of them was even nice enough to open the gate for me as i pulled up to the gate. The sounds of doors beening opened and closed all night long from the traffic was a bit much as well! I found hair products and ladies underwear in two drawers. Be sure to think this one over before you choose this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
FLORIDA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

I wanted to go to NOLA for the Saturday before the Superbowl to PARTY. Being military I have slept in some, should we say, not so pleasant places so my view may be skewed a bit, not that of an average person’s, but I will try my best.
Traveling as a solo male or a group of adults this isn't a bad place to use as a base camp. It is about 7 minutes east of the FQ by car off the highway. So you have to take a $20.00 taxi ride or pay to park. Depending on what’s going on and how far away from the FQ you want to park that can be anywhere from 0-$25.00.
The room was ok but I was only there for 5 hours to sleep. It was clean and the heater worked. It's not a place I would go if I was taking my family. There are no "restaurants" on that exit so you need to eat before you call it a day. They do have a “continental breakfast” but the gas station in front of the hotel has a little eatery that have very good breakfast biscuits at a reasonable price. But it’s not a restaurant.
The worst thing about this hotel “if” you are going to NOLA to party is the logistics it takes to get to the FQ if you don’t have a DD.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

I've just stayed at the red carpet inn in New orleans for Mardi Gras 2007.
Well as you can imagine, New Orleans has been really affected by Katrina..So I wasn't waiting for a super hotel.
Moreover I booked late and prices in hotel were high because of Mardi Gras.So with 3 other folks we booked two nights at the red carpet.

First the neighbourhood is really hugly.From my hotel room you could see a big rusty plant.On the other side, you could see the motorway bridge going downtown.
Then the red carpet is a motel on a camping ground.So the parking was full of Winnebago camping cars,lol

Anyway, the motel itself was nearly new!
The room was big enough for 4 people and clean!
And it is about 5/10 minutes to the French quarter

So I recommend for young students with a car who need a place to sleep and don't want to pay much.
(we paid 99$ for 4 a night wich is correct for mardi gras period)
I don't recommend it for families or for a romantic gateway.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — the views and neighbourhood!!!!!!!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Red Carpet Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!