“Stark, artsy, but no creature comforts!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Loft 523 New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Loft 523 New Orleans to your Saves list
Loft 523 New Orleans
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   523 Gravier Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #51 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Texas
“Stark, artsy, but no creature comforts!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

If you are looking for a cozy hotel with lots of amenities, then Loft 523 is NOT for you. This is an artsy, stark garage style loft. No carpeting on the floor, no rugs, no drawers for your clothing, no room service, no amenities of any kind. What this hotel does feature is a huge TV in your room with surround sound. There is free wi-fi and lots of extension cords for all of your devices. The hotel is in close proximity (walking distance) to both the French Quarter and downtown. I was able to walk to the Superdome as well as to Bourbon Street. However, because of that, it is very noisy during the nights. Also, keep in mind that there is no address on the property so you have to "know" where you are going to even find it. There is someone at the front desk 24 hours, but I was there for 5 nights and never found a person at the desk who was actually helpful. When I would ask for a hairdryer, I was told "I don't know if we have those", when I would ask for help calling a cab, I was told "Walk to the hotel across the street because cabs don't like coming here," one time I went down to ask for a recommendation for breakfast and the guy told me he "had been sick all day". So if you plan to stay here, just be prepared to be on your own. There are two really cool features of this hotel - one is the beautiful doors to the rooms which are the nicest thing about the property. The other is the bathtub which is huge (but no bath salts or bubble bath is provided - remember: no amenities here). They have "now" and "later" signs to request cleaning of your room, and those work really great. I turned mine to "now" and someone was there in less than 5 minutes - so I am guessing they have video monitoring of the doors in some way. In summary, this was one of those "quirky" "unique" "artsy" hotels that had I known what it was, I would never have stayed there and I would not stay there again. But, if you like that kind of thing, you will love Loft 523.

Room Tip: I heard that the Penthouse is really nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I would recommend this hotel to anyone seeking respite and relaxation. The bathtub alone is worth the price of admission. The staff were very accommodating and delightful. Proximity to a 24 hour bar ups the perks even more.

• Stayed February 2012
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Loft 523 was a new discovery and a much enjoyed experience. Located equally close to the city center, the French Quarter and the Warehouse District, Loft 523 was a perfect location to see New Orleans from. The accomodations were very nice and spacious. I liked the modern design and clean lines. Definitely would stay here again (and again).

Michael

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We all love the antique charm of New Orleans' architectural gems, but personally, I like a nice modern hotel room to come back to at the end of the day. And Loft 523 was the perfect "home base" for a three-day weekend with friends. First off, just the fact that there's no address or signage is cool...it feels like a well-kept secret. The lobby offers a taste of what to expect in the rooms...modern, minimalist, tasteful, hip. Our room and bathroom were huge...one just has to appreciate concrete floors and minimal furnishings. But the amenities were all there: robes and slippers, coffee machine, flat-screen TV, Frette lnens on a comfortable platform bed, etc. At the last minute we upgraded to a superior room so we could get one of the cool bathtubs, which came in handy for soaking tired feet at the end of a long day/night of walking. Two in our traveling party are nearly 60, and the other two are 20-somethiings, and we all loved the accommodations. Furthermore, the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful...even when, on our way out Saturday morning, we gave them a list of four things in our room that needed to be fixed, By the time we returned "home," we had a new iPod docking station, a repaired Fortuny lamp, and a perfectly-draining sink...only the small refrigerator remained lukewarm (but 3 out of 4...!!!). And when we came in absoloutely famished really late one night, Iggy the night clerk printed out menus for a 24-hour delivery place and brought the food to our room himself. This hotel is a sister property of International House, which is around the corner; We ducked into the IH bar one evening, but left when we could not get waited on by "Morticia," who refused to make eye contact...left a bad taste for that fancier/more expensive hotel. If you're looking for a hip place to stay that's away from the Quarter's madness, but within easy walking distance, this is it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This hotel is fantastic! Actually one of my favorite. The decor is minimalist and modern while maintaining some of the elements of the original building (original pillars are displayed behind glass in the lobby). The location is very quiet but is easily within walking distance of the French Quarter and restaurants within the warehouse district. I was attending a conference at the convention centre and it was about a 10-15 min walk. Probably the best aspect of my stay in Loft 523 was the amazing concierges. They were all really helpful. Every night we were directed to amazing restaurants and jazz clubs that we never would have found on our own. I will definitely stay here on my next trip to NOLA!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed in a top floor room, and have had few out of town stays as pleasant. The room was fantastically full of comfortable furniture, a very good bed, a great workspace, and a spa-quality bathroom. Spending a little more than a chain hotel resulted in productive work, pleasant sleep, and an overall good experience. There a small refrigerator available, which I think is better than a mini-bar, and its located close to downtown (work), and the Quarter (food). I'm going back, and this will be my first choice for a stay.

Room Tip: Go Top floor...worth it
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My experience at Loft 523 was unlike any other I've experienced - the room was minimalistic, almost spartan, the artwork was striking, the lighting more like what you would find in an art gallery than in a hotel room. At first, the look didn't strike my fancy, to be honest, but it really grew on me after the first day.

Likes:

1) Love that there are iPod speakers in the room. The one thing I miss when I travel is music (I always forget to bring my speakers!), so I was able to jam out when getting ready for work.
2) Love the rainwater showerhead! Seriously. Amazing. Also, the bathroom feels like something out of a movie.
3) The bed was incredibly comfortable, and the room was GINORMOUS. Seriously - gigantic. Lots of room to jump around and dance, if that's your thing.

Dislikes:

1) The internet sucked. I must have spent at least 2 hours trying to troubleshoot, and it still sucked.
2) The front desk sucked. The girl at the front desk was literally on her iPhone the entire time. Plus, there's nothing to do in the lobby, which was somewhat disappointing.

Overall, definitely worth the experience, if only to test your "coolness" factor, cause I honestly think only ultra-chic people would like this place at once.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Loft 523 New Orleans? Share your experiences!