“Hip retreat for those "in the know"” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Loft 523 New Orleans to your Saves list
Expedia.com Booking.com
Loft 523 New Orleans
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   523 Gravier Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #48 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
Dallas, Texas
“Hip retreat for those "in the know"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We all love the antique charm of New Orleans' architectural gems, but personally, I like a nice modern hotel room to come back to at the end of the day. And Loft 523 was the perfect "home base" for a three-day weekend with friends. First off, just the fact that there's no address or signage is cool...it feels like a well-kept secret. The lobby offers a taste of what to expect in the rooms...modern, minimalist, tasteful, hip. Our room and bathroom were huge...one just has to appreciate concrete floors and minimal furnishings. But the amenities were all there: robes and slippers, coffee machine, flat-screen TV, Frette lnens on a comfortable platform bed, etc. At the last minute we upgraded to a superior room so we could get one of the cool bathtubs, which came in handy for soaking tired feet at the end of a long day/night of walking. Two in our traveling party are nearly 60, and the other two are 20-somethiings, and we all loved the accommodations. Furthermore, the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful...even when, on our way out Saturday morning, we gave them a list of four things in our room that needed to be fixed, By the time we returned "home," we had a new iPod docking station, a repaired Fortuny lamp, and a perfectly-draining sink...only the small refrigerator remained lukewarm (but 3 out of 4...!!!). And when we came in absoloutely famished really late one night, Iggy the night clerk printed out menus for a 24-hour delivery place and brought the food to our room himself. This hotel is a sister property of International House, which is around the corner; We ducked into the IH bar one evening, but left when we could not get waited on by "Morticia," who refused to make eye contact...left a bad taste for that fancier/more expensive hotel. If you're looking for a hip place to stay that's away from the Quarter's madness, but within easy walking distance, this is it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This hotel is fantastic! Actually one of my favorite. The decor is minimalist and modern while maintaining some of the elements of the original building (original pillars are displayed behind glass in the lobby). The location is very quiet but is easily within walking distance of the French Quarter and restaurants within the warehouse district. I was attending a conference at the convention centre and it was about a 10-15 min walk. Probably the best aspect of my stay in Loft 523 was the amazing concierges. They were all really helpful. Every night we were directed to amazing restaurants and jazz clubs that we never would have found on our own. I will definitely stay here on my next trip to NOLA!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed in a top floor room, and have had few out of town stays as pleasant. The room was fantastically full of comfortable furniture, a very good bed, a great workspace, and a spa-quality bathroom. Spending a little more than a chain hotel resulted in productive work, pleasant sleep, and an overall good experience. There a small refrigerator available, which I think is better than a mini-bar, and its located close to downtown (work), and the Quarter (food). I'm going back, and this will be my first choice for a stay.

Room Tip: Go Top floor...worth it
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My experience at Loft 523 was unlike any other I've experienced - the room was minimalistic, almost spartan, the artwork was striking, the lighting more like what you would find in an art gallery than in a hotel room. At first, the look didn't strike my fancy, to be honest, but it really grew on me after the first day.

Likes:

1) Love that there are iPod speakers in the room. The one thing I miss when I travel is music (I always forget to bring my speakers!), so I was able to jam out when getting ready for work.
2) Love the rainwater showerhead! Seriously. Amazing. Also, the bathroom feels like something out of a movie.
3) The bed was incredibly comfortable, and the room was GINORMOUS. Seriously - gigantic. Lots of room to jump around and dance, if that's your thing.

Dislikes:

1) The internet sucked. I must have spent at least 2 hours trying to troubleshoot, and it still sucked.
2) The front desk sucked. The girl at the front desk was literally on her iPhone the entire time. Plus, there's nothing to do in the lobby, which was somewhat disappointing.

Overall, definitely worth the experience, if only to test your "coolness" factor, cause I honestly think only ultra-chic people would like this place at once.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I went for a weekend trip with one of my girlfriends to NOLA and decided to stay at this hotel due to the great reviews, location, and style. We were not disappointed. Upon arrival, the concierge was so friendly it was like we were old friends. He told us all the places to check out and was very helpful. Lets not forget the hotel itself! It was gorgeous, with copper doors and HUGE loft style bedrooms that made you feel like you were in Europe. The only downside is that there is no room service, but we really didn't care because we wanted to try local pubs and restaurants anyway. It is so close to everything so you can walk to Bourbon Street, Magazine St...etc. Ultimately, I will DEFINITELY stay here upon my next visit to the Big Easy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Brandon, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I recently celebrated our 22nd wedding anniversary at Loft 523 in New Orleans, and I must say it was the most unique and amazing place we've ever stayed. The modern, minimalist decor echo what you might expect in an Architectural Digest layout. The staff were great, and we felt like the only guests there. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husand and I stayed at Loft 523 this past weekend. We made reservations based on the positive reviews, however it would have been a good idea to listen to the negative for a clear picture. We were in the big easy for Tulane University move-in day and we wanted to stay in a cool hotel close to the FQ. Honestly, we were thoroughly disappointed. Here's what we experienced:

Overpowering musty smell in elevator, room, hallway
very dirty concrete floor in room
uncomfortable bed and bedding, chair and small couch in room
no refill of shampoo/conditioner/soap
closed bar (not just temporarily)
window, but only to see surrounding buildings
long wait to get anything - car from valet, ice and extra bedding delivered to room
no street number or name of hotel - has a copper door

nice front lobby staff (one at desk at most times)
very small property - 17 rooms and little to no amenities, large sized room

Apparently, we should have tried their other property - The International House.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Loft 523 New Orleans? Share your experiences!