“Excellent hotel.....Even better location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Loft 523 New Orleans

You added Loft 523 New Orleans to your Saves list
Loft 523 New Orleans
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   523 Gravier Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #58 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Iberia, Louisiana
“Excellent hotel.....Even better location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is a fantastic hotel tucked away from the craziness of NOLA. Great location central to French Quarter, Garden District and Downtown. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They answered all questions and even helped watch our parking meter while we were out in the quarter. We had great "free" WIFI. Rooms were sleek and clean. Lavatory is phenomenal. Big walk in shower with two shower heads and the huge oval tub was relaxing after a long day in NOLA. I would recommend staying in this hotel and we have already planned our next trip to NOLA and plan to stay at the Loft.

Room Tip: We stayed in 4C and did have any noise problems that other reviews talked about.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Excellently located for tourists (5 minutes walk to Bourbon Street), this hotel has so much potential, but lacking the detail one would expect from a hotel marketing itself as a 4.5 star establishment.

Great bits:
- all staff very friendly, helpful and lovely
- large bed, lovely linen
- poured concrete floor (cold, but still sexy!)
- visually it looked stunning, guests loved it

More attention needed:
- difficult to find with no external signage (walked past it first time)
- needs blackout blinds on windows, it was very light even with the blinds provided
- only half of rooms have iPod dock, mine didn't so I had a CD player with a choice of 3 CDs...the cost to provide this in all rooms is minimal.
- no hair dryer
- 2 shower heads in bathroom cannot be re-angled and are not 4-5 star hotel standard
- room not fully clean on arrival (empty packets in cupboards)
- lack of minibar or quality room service menu (no beer!)
- WIFI link was slow and kept cutting out every 5 minutes (not exaggerating!)
- club downstairs wasn't too loud, just a bit rubbish and empty so not worth going

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Hershey, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I wish I could find more hotels like this. Beautiful. Quality everything. Very comfortable bed. Completely unique. Looks nothing like the standard room you get at most hotels. Pics can't do it enough justice.

• Stayed November 2010
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I stayed at loft 523 for 5 nights with my wife when on a road trip across the southern states. When we arrived we actually walked past the place as there is no sign...but we soon realised our mistake and were welcomed and checked in promptly by the friendly and helpful member of staff.

The room...was huge and very minimal as per the photos on the website. We loved this as it was so hot outside the room was a cool haven away from the hustle and bustle of NOLA. It had all the facilities detailed on the website in terms of cable TV, iPod Dock, Wifi, etc.

The staff...were always helpful and willing to advise on where to go and what to do as well as providing extra coffee when our was not refreshed. However be sure to hang the do not disturb sign as we had the cleaner knocking at 8am on our first morning.

The club...this is actually opposite reception and the hotel lobby is open with the club at one end. The music and base starts kicking at about 10pm and goes on until 3am. We had a room on the second floor above the club and we could feel the vibrations! This along with everyone talking\shouting outside certainly kept us awake. The rooms are only single glazed so it was like all the people outside were in our room with us! The club is only open 3 nights a week, so if you are not staying on these nights you would be ok.

The maintenance...overall the rooms are nice but there was a few minor points. The ventilation in the bathroom did not appear to work...in fact it was just a hole in the plasterboard ceiling where I assume a grate of some kind should have been. There was another small hole in the wall where I assume a towel hook once was. The shower also had mould in it, which is not expected at this price range. Whilst on the shower it actually had two shower heads on different walls which gave a really narrow angle of spray...it looked good, but not the most practical!

Overall...nice big rooms and friendly staff, but the noise from the club and street means that I certainly would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
West Helena, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Loft 523 is very conveniently located just a few blocks back from Canal Street (so super convenient if you are at a conference on Canal or need to connect to the Convention Center as the Sheraton Shuttle is just a couple of blocks away). Loft 523 could be a 4 star hotel if only its owners or managers paid more attention to detail. The rooms are spacious, well designed, with four star quality features. The price is also far more reasonable than the hotels along Canal. I believe I saved a few hundred dollars by staying here than on Canal.

My room is approximately 450 square feet with a very spacious bathroom, a sitting area, and a desk. the bed, which is low to the ground, is also very comfortable (but is not one of the high quality mattresses you'd find at a Westin or similiar hotel). My room has dual shower heads with a spacious walk-in shower area. Bath products are Aveda. The decorations are modern, clean, and simple. During the week, the hotel is quiet and relaxing. The staff is cordial but not overly friendly. They do their job and it seems done well. The hotel is also within walking distance of several restaurants: Ruby Slipper, Rambla, Red Gravy, and Dress It (and a little further away, Domenica, which was amzing).

There are some definite downsides. Tonight is Friday and there is a lot of noise. I am on the third floor (with only one floor and the penthouse above me). I can sleep through almost anything and will probably sleep through this but for light sleepers, be warned. You can also hear foot steps above you, as you can in any loft I've ever been in. the walls also allow you to hear your neighbors if they are loud. I'd say the sound is on par with a heavy rainstorm until those in the club downstairs exit and scream. It's definitely a nicer than average club with well-heeled partiers so this happens lest often than you'd find near other hotels in the French Quarter. While the bath products are high quality, they have not been replaced each day. I have been using the same bar of soap all week and have to share it between my shower and the sink. Some fixtures could use a good cleaning (drain in sink, dusting of lamp, repainting of dented support beam, stain on the floor) and others could be updated (iron, hair dryer).

I did not pay to valet park. Instead I parked two blocks away. Parking is expensive whether or not it is valet. I parked at a lot on Poydras for $22 for 24 hours (no in/outs). It seemed to be the going price (a lot a little further away was $20 but had less lighting and less visibility).

I would absolutely stay here for an extended stay during the week. I may be hesitant to stay on a weekend (but if I had to be near Canal I might still pick it).

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor on weekends to help dissipate noice.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

I have stayed at the International House I love that hotel also.... But its just the feel and the space of the room of LOFT 523 that made it worth every dollar, I will be back for the Jay-Z and Kanye West concert.......and not to mention the prime location, the staff was the best keep up the good work , ya heard me!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Loft 523 is a unique and stylish hotel that I will recommend to all my friends and family. I found this through a search for hotels in New Orleans and my search now ends at Loft 523. I was very impressed with my stay. The staff was beyond friendly and very professional. My room was very clean and I felt right at home. The beds are comfy and the spoon tub is to die for.
Blocks away from local bars, eateries, and main attractions.
I will only stay when I visit NOLA. The lounge next door was very nice also..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Loft 523 New Orleans? Share your experiences!