“Every good thing that has been written about this hotel is true - and more!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn & Suites Downtown

Save Saved
You added Quality Inn & Suites Downtown to your Saves list
Quality Inn & Suites Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   210 O'Keefe Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Marietta, Georgia
“Every good thing that has been written about this hotel is true - and more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Let me start by affirming, as a frequent and experienced traveler, that considering the overall experience, this is one of the best hotels that I’ve stayed in at any time. There are things that I look for in a hotel: is it clean? is the water pressure good? can the room be gotten to a comfortable temperature? is it reasonably quiet? is it safe? does the internet work? The answer to all these things for this Quality Inn is “yes” but there is so much more that makes this a special place. The previous reviews are so positive and effusive that I wondered if they were exaggerated. They are not.

My choice of this hotel was based on the previous reviews here, which were almost uniformly positive, and the very reasonable price. Others of our party stayed nearby in hotels that were much, much more expensive but I’m sure they did not get as much for their greater expense as we got for our lesser. Our parking was cheaper, our internet was free, and there was a free continental breakfast. And I can’t imagine a hotel staff anywhere as fine as at this hotel.

Since New Orleans is a major destination, let me spend some time and describe this hotel adequately so you can understand why this experienced traveler likes this location so much.

ACCESS: Let’s start with some access information: this is an “office tower” hotel on a one-way public street with no special vehicle curb cut or access. When you arrive, you park on the curb in front of the hotel and walk 10 feet to the lobby. The street parking is marked and available and there’s no problem leaving your car there while you go up to your room, and the staff will tell you so. It is important to note that the overnight parking deck for this hotel is not immediately next door but a half block past the hotel. It is $17/day, payable to the hotel – they will give you a pass that will get you into and out of the lot. The parking is by valet at the lot but you have unlimited in-an-out privileges under the hotel’s permit. Other lots in the area are about the same price but without access to your vehicle and no in-and-out privileges. So go to the hotel before you park your car and get your permit. My experience with the parking garage personnel was uniformly positive.

SAFETY: Despite being in a downtown location, I felt completely safe in the hotel at all times and was unconcerned about walking down for my car. Women walking alone might be a little nervous, but I don’t believe that the walk is not safe and I believe that if you were really concerned, one of the bellmen would escort you down – that is the kind of people that work at the facility. The hotel has 24-hour security and at one time when I left my room in the middle of the night, I encountered the security officer patrolling the floors. The hotel is 3½ blocks from Bourbon Street and I felt quite safe walking over to the French Quarter at all hours of the day and night.

CHECK-IN and OUT: Upon our arrival, when I parked on the curb, I was greeted and immediately told, “Don’t worry about your car, leave it there, it’s safe.” I was checked in and due to being in New Orleans for a special occasion, the desk clerk searched around and found us a suite and upgraded us at no extra charge. I was just stunned at the pro-active kindness, and that upgrade really made our multi-day stay a great deal more pleasurable and special. Our luggage was unloaded and carried to our room efficiently by the bellman and then the gentleman walked me down to the corner and showed me where and how to park and explained the process. While I parked the car, my partner came down to the lobby and was given some brochures and a marked map with area information. When time came for checkout, the process was quick and easily explained. I had told them that I would be leaving early and the paperwork was already prepared and waiting. I imagine the entire checkout time was no more than 45 seconds.

THE ROOM: I would be prepared to say that our room might be cleaner than my house on any given day, up to and including the baseboards, the corners and the bathroom. No sign of rust, mold, or dirt. The furniture was typical hotel furniture but neither it nor the carpet was unduly worn. The suite contained refrigerator, microwave, sink and cabinets, so this could be an extended stay dream if you’re going to be there for a few days. I was able to get the room cool enough to satisfy even me. The bed was comfortable with plenty of fluffy pillows. The television signal was clear and there were plenty of channels. In a suite, there are televisions in both the bedroom and the sitting room. The internet was easy to access, fast and reliable – and wireless (contrary to an earlier posting). Internet access is important to me and this was as good as any that I’ve had a hotel – and free, which is unusual for a downtown hotel. The bathroom was very clean, and the water pressure (and I was on an upper floor) was as good as any that I’ve ever had in a hotel. The room was easily quiet enough to sleep. At night there were people driving around in the area with loud radios playing that were readily audible even several floors up. I carry a fan for “white noise” purposes and that overcame the exterior noise.

AMENITIES: The hotel offers a continental breakfast that was quite satisfactory, if not special. In the corner of the same building is a Subway sandwich shop with direct access from the hotel if you need something and don't want to leave the building. There are a couple of drugstores no further than two blocks away and plenty of other on-street downtown stores and restaurants, not to mention the French Quarter only a few blocks away.

This hotel is the kind of jewel that one finds from time to time that is a outstanding value and outstanding facility and with an outstanding staff – and in a great location. I unreservedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

652 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I know what you're saying. How can a Quality Inn be the best hotel in New Orleans. I mean, with hotels like the J.W. Marriott, the Intercontinental, etc.. I mean, hotels which cost 3 and 4 times what the Quality Inn costs ---- how can it really be the best.

The answer is simple: the staff.

Oh, to be sure, the rooms are really nice and comfy. And the location a block off Canal Street is an easy two minute walk to Bourbon Street or the St. Charles Avenue streetcar. And the price is easy on the wallet for New Orleans.

However, the staff make this one most enjoyable hotel to stay in. This trip was different, because I was making a couple different stays there (with time in between). Upon checking in, the first time, they immediately commented on how I would be returning shortly for another stay. And when I did return for the next stay, I didn't even have to give my name to the reception desk clerk. She recognized me, greeted me, and brought up my new reservation --- all without having to ask my name. She remembered it! No, she remembered "me"!

Furthermore, my second check-in was an "early check-in" (about 12:30pm). Most hotels will give the arriving guest the perfunctory reply and say something about how one has to wait until 3:00pm or whatever. Well, that is not what happens at this Quality Inn. They immediately checked with housekeeping, and the manager,himself, promptly went upstairs to check on rooms to find a nice room for my early check-in. He came back, told the desk clerk which room to give me, and when I opened the door to the room the lights were turned on to give a "proper greeting".

Now, that's impressive!

And when I checked out to leave New Orleans and go to the airport, the manager, who was on the phone, cupped the phone so as to not talk to the person on the other end of the line, and said good-bye to me (by name) and thanked me for staying with them.

Over the decades I have stayed in several hotels in New Orleans ---- mainly in the French Quarter. And I have returned to a couple of them, because they were/are nice. However, this Quality Inn will be where I lay my head on my next visit to New Orleans.

Trust this and other reviews. This Quality Inn in truly the best hotel in New Orleans.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here during Essence fest and enjoyed every bit of our stay. The hotel is located in a great location and less than a 5 min walk to canal and french qtr. The staff were really nice and very accomomodating. We will definitely go back and stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011
Galveston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Great location. The hotel is old but that for the price, I wasn't expecting a lot. I was pleasantly surprised. The bed was comfortable, clean, bathroom spotless. The staff was extremely friendly, helpful and made us feel very welcome. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Southern USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Let's start with the location ... it's close to a streetcar stop and convenient to the French Quarter. How's the room ... it's comfortable and equipped with just about everything anyone could need ... a refrigerator, microwave, desk, sofa, iron and ironing board, and hairdryer. And what about the service ... well, it's fantastic! From the minute you walk in the door until the time you check out, you are greeted warmly and treated like family by the entire staff! When you factor in the delicious complimentary breakfast consisting of scrambled eggs, grits, freshly-made waffles, bagels, bacon, sausage, cereal, toast, juice, and coffee ... it's an exceptional value as well. It's really no surprise this hotel is rated #1 ... it's well deserved.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I wouldn't call it perfect, but they try very hard to make this hotel decent. It was the only decently priced hotel available in NOLA when I booked (during a big conference), so I was a bit apprehensive, but did it anyway based on reviews. My one King room was comfortable and quiet, free very fast (wired) internet, and free decent breakfast, superior customer service. Hotel is located in a quiet part of town, next to the big names (Wyndham, Waldorf Astoria, Renaissance) and away from the noisy Bourbon St (but within 5 min walk).

Room was a bit on the small side, no window (but no biggie for me - I never pay for hotel room to stare through windows), elevator floor signal noisy.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: carry ethernet cable for best internet experience