“Clean and comfy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency New Orleans to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency New Orleans
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Loyola Ave, New Orleans, LA 70113 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #87 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
austin, tx
“Clean and comfy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The ONLY reason this place does not get a 5 from me is that the location is a little further away from the main strip hotels (on Canal)...which if you are attending for a conference, is likely where you need to be. It was at least a 15 minute walk to the French Quarter and the location of the particular conference I attended. However, this hotel was far superior in quality to what my conference options were. Frankly, since it is new (or newer), then it is heads and shoulders above some of the outdated/musty options on Canal street. My fellow conference attendees had plenty of complaints about the places they were staying; I was pleased with the Hyatt. It is sleek and classy, and does not have the New O funk that plagues some of the older places. The fact that the Loyola streetcar has a stop directly in front of the hotel is a huge plus. I did not have the opportunity to eat/drink at the hotel due to time constraints, but I'll say that the main bar and the onsite restaurants seemed to always have patrons. Upon arrival on Saturday night, the main bar area had live jazz and it looked to be a happening spot for the night. I also did not get a chance to check out the pool or gym, but good to know that those facilities exist. The only thing that sorta became a pain was having to have the key card anytime you wanted to use the hotel elevator, but I can appreciate that this is supposed to be a security feature as opposed to a nuisance. Finally, one small complaint, the pressure in the shower wasn't very strong, but that seems to be a common problem in large hotels, especially when you are 27 floors up....so trying to wash the shampoo out took 3x longer than it should have. One feature that does deserve two thumbs up, they have a small, moveable magnifying mirror...Most EXCELLENT for wanting to apply your makeup. Was also useful when my daughter wanted to use the mirror to do her makeup outside the bathroom so we were not having to fight for mirror space at the same time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HyattRegencyNola, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency New Orleans, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear livingL,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us! We will definitely look into water pressure issue you discussed. Thank you very much for your feedback about that, it really helps us to improve and better meet the needs of our guests. We truly hope to have the opportunity to give you a 5-star experience on your next visit to New Orleans!

Best Regards,

1,011 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt during a Mardi Gras weekend. It's convenient location to the Super Dome (where the Endymion Ball was held) was my primary motivator before the trip. After I got there, I was impressed by the quality of the rooms and guest services. The gym on the top floor was semi-circular and offered great views of the city. The Regency Club occupied the other half of the top floor and was a nice place to relax, eat breakfast, and print directions to activities. The room itself was very comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
HyattRegencyNola, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency New Orleans, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Jerry H,

Thank you for your review, we are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during Mardi Gras! We truly look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to New Orleans!

Warm Regards,
CT - USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I spent 5 nights at this hotel on business in March 2013. 1 night was involuntary due to snow in the Northeast. I was there when it was both full and empty. It has a great location next to the Super-dome but that is about it.

At 1200 rooms it does not compare favorably to other hotels of its stature - say the Hilton LAX or Aria in Las Vegas.

At check in the front desk agent sent me to the wrong elevator bank - not to be picky but its quite a walk in the first place and the staff doesn't know the layout? The lobby setup is awkward in a separate building tacked onto the side of the towers. After check in you go up several escalators and walk past some restaurants and bars to the elevators. It’s quite a hike. The elevators between the North Tower and Atrium are not labeled logically and its easy to take the wrong set.

The bartenders in the Vitascope Hall were horrible. Empty glasses everywhere. They would walk right buy you to pour a soda for a waitress when you attempted to get their attention. I have never seen employees so accomplished at pretending not to notice you since a busy Saturday morning at Home Depot.

The Breakfast Buffet is typical but at $30 all-in not worth it. When the hotel was full they did have a nice set up with breakfast sandwiches and coffee to go at the Atrium Bar but the next day it was gone. There is no free coffee, wifi or newspapers anywhere even for Hyatt Gold Members - a first for me as everywhere else in the chain they have it.

Shortcomings:
- No Free Coffee, even for Hyatt Gold
- No Free Newspapers, even for Hyatt Gold
- No Coffee Makers in rooms
- No Mini Bars in Rooms
- Clocks in the room was on but display was blank in two of the rooms I was in.
- Poor Service at Front Desk and Vitascope Hall
- $30 Breakfast Buffet
- Did not handle crowds well

Dear Tom2002a,

Thank you so much taking time to give us feedback, it really helps us target areas for improvement and better serve the needs of our guests. I truly regret that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. If there is anything you would like to discuss in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at whitley.donsereaux@hyatt.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Destin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

OMG! It took me decades to finally learn the best hotel to stay! I've been to the inexpensive inn's, & it always ended up costing me more! Never, again...it's Hyatt for me, & I deserve the best, it's my Golden Years, too! The GM, Mr Seaborne was VERY kind & considerate, very profession! Hyatt rates 100 stars by the Knab family!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Kajun333,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience with us. I am thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us so much! We'd love to welcome you back and show you an even better time on your next visit to New Orleans!

South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My room was quiet and comfortable, which is an especially good thing in New Orleans. However, this is a challenging hotel. The hotel is huge and has to deal with enormous crowds at times. I arrived when major weekend events were ending and a large convention was starting. The lobby was mobbed and it took me over 2 hours to get in my room. The bed was comfortable, the room was pretty clean, and it was nice to have a refrigerator. The room rates were very expensive for what you get, but it was nice to be away from the French Quarter and all its noise. When I was there, New Orleans had a power failure in the water system requiring use of bottled water. The hotel was good about notifying guests and telling them to use the $4 bottle of water in the room at no charge. They said it would be replaced. I stayed several days and the bottle was not replaced. After my stay, a separate $4.36 charge appeared on my credit card in addition to my $1000+ bill for 4 nights. I called and the charge was refunded, but you would think the hotel would have known to follow through on their offer without having to call. The staff was all very pleasant and polite. But you can tell the hotel struggles to keep up with the huge crowds. The elevators seem to be misprogrammed and it is time consuming to get around the hotel and to get in and out. Plan on everything taking some extra time. Overall, I might stay again because it was quiet and away from the French Quarter, but there seem to usually be better hotel values in New Orleans.

Room Tip: Upper floors in the main hotel
Dear LakeWylie,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay. I deeply apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your time with us. We will definitely look into the issues you discussed so that we can improve and better serve the needs of our guests. If you have any further issues or comments you would like to discuss, please feel free to contact me directly at whitley.donsereaux@hyatt.com. We truly hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you a greater experience on your next visit to New Orleans!

Best regards,
Brasil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The architecture of this hotel is fantastic. It is really worth having brakfat and/or dinner at the main restaurant and look around to the glass elevators moving, up and down, like fireflies. It is almost perfect.

Room Tip: Bring with you full print outs of emails with price confirmation of your stay. This is a must! Wire...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Merker Moreira M,

We truly appreciate you taking time to review your stay. We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience and the design of the hotel! We hope to see you back with us on your next visit to New Orleans!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A recent conference I attend was held at the Hyatt which is across the street from the Superdome. This is a fairly large, business oriented hotel which did an excellent job in hosting my event and othes based upon how busy it was. The location is in walking distance to all the local attractions and had all of the services you needed. The staff was very friendly and accomodating during our three night stay. Although there was a ban on drinking the hotel water during the first day or so, the staff did a good job in notifying the guests and providing bottled water for use in the room. The room was comfortable and well appointed however,we encountered rather tepid water in the shower which was fixed in a timely manner. The restaurants and bars were attentive and the food quality and price were reasonable. Their entertainer on Saturday evening was excepetional and enjoyable to listen to. I would certainly stay at the Hyatt again if I retrun to New Orleans.

Room Tip: The elevators are far enough away from the guest rooms thus not an issue like many hotels.
Dear Rbe-nh,

Thank you very much for your review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us on your first trip to New Orleans! We look forward to showing you an even better time on your next visit to the city!

Warm Regards,
Whitley D.

Been to Hyatt Regency New Orleans? Share your experiences!