“Awesome great, fantastic breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Terrell House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Terrell House Bed and Breakfast
1441 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Lower Garden District)   |
Special Offer
Summer Special
Ranked #6 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Awesome great, fantastic breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is one of the nicest places for accommodation. I loved their hospitality, and the place in general. Specifically, Amika's breakfast is spectacular. She is so accommodating and is always so well dressed that you think she is the owner of the place. Really worth every minute. I honestly suggest this place with no reservations whatsoever.

Room Tip: I have a feeling all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We travel often to New Orleans and have bemoaned the lack of a truly great hotel there. The Ritz, The Ws, The Windsor Court, The Royal Sonesta ...none were terrible. (Well, actually, the room at The Windsor Court was one of the most sadly worn we've seen in a high-end hotel.) But none were really good, either. With our recent stay at Terrell House, we've finally found our home in New Orleans. What a fantastic place!

The location could not be better. Easy walking along Magazine Street, lovely wanders through the Garden District and down toward the Quarter. You're just a few blocks from St. Charles Street and the streetcar. A great coffee joint is just a block away and amazing independent shopping starts a couple of blocks beyond that and goes, literally, for miles. We worried that street parking might be a problem -- there is no off-street -- but it was plentiful and easy. We were there on both weekend and weekday nights and never had to park more than a few steps from our door.

I'm a design snob and don't love over-the-top frilly. The decor is beautiful, restful and tasteful; perfect and respectful for this lovely, historic home. The suite we rented in the little house across the street was a pleasure, with a small, but full and well-equipped kitchen, floor to ceiling windows in the living room and a comfy sofa and chair, a well lit and very lovely bathroom and two bedrooms with super comfy beds. Everything was impeccably clean. The electronics (newer flatscreens) are great; with zippy, flawless wifi. The air conditioning is up to the job; super important in the heat and humidity. The public spaces in the main house -- living room, dining room, lounge and patios -- are welcoming and comfortable. And an extra bonus: the place is dog friendly. Our little pooch was made to feel very welcome and enjoyed romping with owner Lynda's cute pup.

Lynda and her staff are exactly right in how they run the place. Warm and friendly. Helpful. Present and available. But they're not overly in your face.
Breakfasts are hearty and really delicious. (They consult you about what time would be convenient for you to have breakfast.) I didn't request this, as I was only there for a few days, but next time I'm heading there, I'll ask for a lighter option or two. I'd have to walk for more hours than there are in the day to make up for the calories in that yummy spread. And I know these folks would do absolutely anything they could to make my stay more perfect, so I'm sure I'll be accommodated in that next time I'm there ;-)

We travel a lot -- roughly a third of the year. While we love quality high end boutique hotels, we also spent a lot of time at Four Seasons hotels. Yes, it's a chain, but they get service and excellence in all things is the standard. We've often avoided B&Bs because past experience found us in places that were approximate -- pretty, but not that clean. Or poorly run hobbyist businesses. Some left us feeling like we were there to entertain the owners. Or they just didn't feel private enough. Terrell House should give workshops on how to do it right. I can't say enough good things about this place. If you're lucky, they'll have a room for you.

washington dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I think I have been to every B&B in New Orleans [as well as a fair number of hotels] but Terrell House B&B is the best I've found. Located in the lower Garden District on Magazine Street, this B&B has been lovingly restored [in 2003 or so] and is beautifully decorated, and spotless! It's a charming grand old town home in typical New Orleans style, with high ceilings, filled with gorgeous antiques and art, but not at all stuffy or overdone. Attention to detail is evident throughout.
We stayed in the Gold Room which is actually a suite and were very comfortable. Water and the makings for coffee are available in the room, Our towels were replaced daily and the sheets on the bed felt soft and fresh. Some of the floor to ceiling windows can be opened if you wish and there is a ceiling fan [AC is quite efficient and quiet]. WiFi is also available throughout.
There is a pleasant interior courtyard for sitting [balconies too look over the courtyard; we also had a small balcony facing the street side] or eating breakfast. And breakfast is a feast - grits, homemade pastries, fruit, eggs - a variety each of the three mornings we were there and quite satisfying.
The proprietor is wonderful, taking an interest in what you're up to and being around "just enough".
The location is a good one - if you're a walker, you can walk for miles along Magazine Street, or around the Garden District; it's quite close to the Warehouse District too [and the phenomenal D-Day Museum complex].
I highly recommend this B&B for anyone who would like to stay in a beautiful "authentic" New Orleans town home.

Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

The Terrell House B&B was a fabulous experience. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting New Orleans that is looking for a more unique place to stay in a quieter part of the city.

My husband discovered Terrell House after doing a lot of B&B online searching for NOLA. We ultimately chose them because of all the wonderful reviews and the pictures online. The crazy part is, while everything seemed great online, none of it does it complete justice-you have to experience it for yourself!

We were greeted by Linda, the owner, upon arriving. She gave us a brief tour, answered some of our inquisitive questions about the house, renovations, etc, and then were shown our room.

She was very flexible with whatever time we wanted breakfast, which comes with your reservation, which we thought was quite considerate.

Speaking of breakfast, it was just absolutely excellent both mornings. My husband and I both commented that she could be a chef, the breakfast was that good. It was a nice assortment of fresh fruit, cheesy grits, scones, french toast and an egg souffle type of baked dish. We were pleasantly surprised at the delicious offerings.

We stayed in one of their King Suite rooms, and it was wonderful. Very comfortable room with a great king bed and linens, walk in shower, working wifi, and high windows that let in great natural light.
It was our first time staying at a B&B and we were understandably concerned the other guests could be noisy, or we'd wake people up when going/coming...not the case. The house was pretty quiet, kept at a cool temperature (very important in the early September high humidity days!), and just overall very beautiful. It is clear that when Linda renovated it, she didn't cut any corners--every finish and decoration is fabulous.

The only downside is grabbing a cab isn't as easy staying here as it would be if you were staying at a larger hotel on Canal Street in the French Quarter. But, the quietness and quaint B&B experience at Terrell absolutely made up for that.

We both highly recommend Terrell House. In fact, we hope to go back again someday if we are headed back to NOLA!

San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

For a work conference, my team rented out all the rooms at Terrell house and it was absolute perfection! The bedrooms were very comfortable and we were able to use the living space in the house for meetings and spending time together. I loved that each bedroom had it's own thermostat! So important in the New Orleans summer heat! Their hospitality was incredible - everything was at our fingertips! Anika fixed the BEST breakfasts! The grits!? Oh my goodness, so good! I would highly recommend Terrell House for anyone visiting New Orleans - and it's a particularly brilliant idea if you're looking to do something different for your next work retreat. Thank you Terrell House!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

My wife booked a night here for my 43rd birthday. I loved the old New Orleans charm and architecture. Linda and her little dog were great hosts. We live just outside New Orleans and I don't like bourbon street but go one block over to royal street for beautiful art galleries and quaint shops. Our house was very nice with a small kitchen 2 bedrooms nice living room and flat screen tv's in all rooms. It was very clean and the king size bed and down pillows were perfect. We also had our own balcony overlooking Euterpe and magazine street. What a gem. Thanks Linda for making my 43rd birthday a memorable one.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Marathon, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

A beautifully restored historic home on Magazine St. in the Garden District, this inn is the perfect retreat after a day of experiencing the sites of New Orleans. Linda is a true southern lady, whose charm and attendance to detail make her Inn a place where guests want to return over and over again. From the beautifully appointed rooms to the luxurious mattresses, linens and pillows every detail is designed to make you feel pampered. Delores and all the staff are warm and friendly and add to the charm and ambiance of Terrell House. Linda and her staff prepare delicious breakfasts, and will cater to any special diet requests with dishes that tempt the palate. The Inn is conveniently located in the Garden District, includes free parking, and access to attractions are easily accessible via taxi, bus or by car. You can also walk to the French Quarter, but it is a mile plus. A one-day bus pass is only $3 per person. I have stayed in a number of Inns around the U.S., and this is one of the nicest! I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the lower floor room in the building across the street from the main house. It was ext...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Terrell House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!