“Terrible time at the Astor Crowne Plaza” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #98 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
WA
“Terrible time at the Astor Crowne Plaza”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2006

I read a few reviews before staying here & thought they were harsh. Unfortunately, the reviews were true. I stayed here 11/27-12/1/06 for work & had a terrible time. The hotel lobby was nice; hotel staffs were OK. The hallway has a mold/mildew smell & the carpet was old. I went to my room and could not open the door. I noticed there were dishes outside, so either the room was occupied or the hotel staffs have not cleaned the hallways. As I entered into the 2nd room, there was a disgusting smell (vomit & smoke); I had requested non-smoking room. So on the 3rd try, the room they gave me was much better. It was on the same floor as the Priority Club lounge (4th floor). There is only valet parking at this hotel; it cost $28. Vallet takes approximately 15mins to get your car. My 3rd day, it took over 45mins to get my car. Every time I asked about my car, the valet person told me it was coming. I told them that I could have walked to my workplace in 20mins instead of waiting for my car. They told me that they will not charge me for that day. I decided that I won't be using their valet service again. I ended up using another parking place; this was right behind the hotel ($20/night) and it took them 5 mins to get my car. When I returned to the hotel that night, again, I could not open my door. I went to the registration counter & was told that they checked me out already (Thurs.); I had a reservation til Friday. While waiting for the hotel staffs to sort out the issue, I spoke to other hotel guests nearby. Apparently these guests were having problems with their reservation; the hotel did not have rooms for them. At checkout on Fri, they charged me an extra day of parking. After trying to explain to the staff that I wasn't currently parking there and the guy was clueless, I gave up and left. I had a terrible time at this hotel & I don't recommend this hotel at all!

• Liked — hotel lobby
  • Disliked — valet service & smelly hallway
  • Tips/Secrets — use the parking service behind the hotel
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2006

I was very disappointed in this hotel. I realize that there are still some clean-up and service issues, but the ones here were not hurricane-related. The hotel was dirty and our non-smoking room smelled strongly of smoke. My mother's non-smoking room was a bit cleaner and did not smell smoked-in. The service was at best, mediocre. I would not choose this hotel again. There are many, better places to stay in the city.

• Liked — the exit
  • Disliked — the service
  • Tips/Secrets — stay way from this property
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2006

What a fantastic hotel! Even had we paid full price, the value was there. This hotel is located at the corner of Bourbon and Canal, very convenient. The room was wonderful. We were put on the executive floor for no extra charge. This included free drinks and appetizers from 5-7 in the evening and a light breakfast from 7-10 in the morning. The room was very clean and the bed was extra comfortable. The staff could not have been better. I have no reservations in recommending this hotel. At bookit.com the hotel is listed as a mystery hotel for $69. If you are going to New Orleans, this is the place. The Bourbon Street restaurant in the hotel is incredible. We ate there two nights because it was so good.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Take a chance on a mystery hotel.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Novi, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2006

My 4 day stay at the Astor Crown Plaza involved conflicting emotions: on the one hand it is really hard to beat up on a hotel which is struggling to come back from Catastrophe, while on the other hand there are certain minimum standards of "hotel civility" which are hard to ignore in the breach.

The ultimate "bottom line" is the price/value ratio --- in my case the rock bottom prices of the room --- avg $136 - $150 per nite (plus characteristic 18% tax + $2.00/nite surcharge) still made the hotel very, very competitive with just about anywhere else in the U.S.

I refuse to "criticize" the Astor Crown which obviously has staffing and service issues; rather I will make "gentle suggestions" which will make things more comfortable for guests:
1. Can you provide working ice machines on any other than the 4th floor?
2. Can you furnish edible room service (filet/chicken entrees were totally substandard) ?
3. Can you provide fresh towels (no add'l towels after 2 requests).
4. Can you, please, please fix the dripping faucet in the bath tub?

I missed NOLA last year because of Katrina. I was delighted to return and urge others to do likewise. It is still a great City. The Astor NOLA is a great bargain... only because the rates are so darn cheap, I will probably book there again !

JJH

p.s. Antoines and Commanders Palace back in full stride and worth the trip by themselves !

• Liked — the price & the location
  • Disliked — service has not fully recovered from hurricane
  • Tips/Secrets — don't book here if the prices rise.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Monroe, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

Our first stay, and I was very pleased with the Astor Crowne. The staff was very nice and helpful. The rooms were small, but elegant, and the attention to detail was fantastic! They included earplugs (which I used), a CD to help you relax, lavendar spray for the linens and even a romance novel in the bathroom! I think details count so much. We had a view right over Canal Street, so the earplugs came in handy. Also, right on Bourbon, can't get better than that!

Stayed November 2006
houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2006

For the price I was not impressed. After checking into our room, within 5 minutes another guest entered our room, they were given the same room. There was an swarm of ants in our room, after locating a phone in our room that worked I called housekeeping regarding the matter. They arrived and sprayed Raid over the entire bathroom , to the point that I had to spend time cleaning the Raid from counter top and floor.
Went to get ice, our floors ice machine was broken. We decided to order room service,when the bill arrived the menu item had a price increase of 52%. I called to inquire as to the difference, "you must have an old menu", I asked when did the menu change, "April 2006" , the hotel adjusted the food bill by 20%, but did not honor the old menu price.
When checking out we discovered a prior guests trash under the beds, so much for housekeeping.

If you must visit New Orleans I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2006
ocean springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2006

This was the best hotel I have been to. We stayed in a Hotel in New Orleans a week earlier and it was nothing compared to the service and appearance of the Astor. The exquisite staff was top-notch. Valet was top notch. I had the privilege of being helped by 2 of the finest employees i have ever encountered. Ms. Keyana and Jamie were The Best of the Best. I will be sure to re visit the Astor on my future trips to New Orleans.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans? Share your experiences!